Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-15, 02:38 PM  
sherry7899

Alta-actually it was Sarah Starr. There are clips on you tube, so you can see if you like her or not. I feel really badly posting this, but I could not get through the practices. She has several chair and gentle yoga practices with lovely outdoor scenery. A sweet VF friend gave me the dvd. I shared the wealth and passed it along to someone else here.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 02:39 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
I like that she is gentle with her practices but she isn't so gentle that you feel like you haven't done anything.
Yes! Gentle doesn't mean useless.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 02:42 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Alta-actually it was Sarah Starr. There are clips on you tube, so you can see if you like her or not. I feel really badly posting this, but I could not get through the practices. She has several chair and gentle yoga practices with lovely outdoor scenery. A sweet VF friend gave me the dvd. I shared the wealth and passed it along to someone else here.
Sherry
I find that an instructor's voice can make or break a workout for me, Of course, It's all subjective.

I appreciate it when someone mentions that an instructor's voice could be potentially irritating.
Old 05-30-15, 02:44 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
I have also recently (within the last 6 months or so) become a big Jane Adams fan. I have major balance issues lately so I did a search on Amazon for balance and her dvd's came up. I now have the balance DVD, the Gentle Yoga (filmed in Montana so it's got beautiful scenery), and recently got the (apparently) re-filmed Yoga for Seniors, which I haven't tried yet.

I think I've tried all the practices on Gentle Yoga and loved them all. The balance one is really good for me. On the balance DVD (Stronger Standing Balance), I've tried everything other than the three yoga practices. The 14-minute practice that is just balance exercises is excellent. I've done it several times and it really does help with balance.

I like that she is gentle with her practices but she isn't so gentle that you feel like you haven't done anything.
I've just ordered Stronger Standing Balance. This one sounds like pure gold!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 02:51 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
This one is filmed indoors. It doesn't matter though. You'll be too busy trying not to fall over to notice the scenery.
Old 05-30-15, 02:56 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
It is really good, for sure! There's also a stretching section (to prepare you for the balance exercises) that's really nice but I've only taken the time to do it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
This one is filmed indoors. It doesn't matter though. You'll be too busy trying not to fall over to notice the scenery.
True this!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 03:27 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thanks! I am a total sucker for outdoor settings. I am not a senior, but I have chronic injuries and need gentle yoga for some days.

ETA: Here are the clips another VF'er posted-thank you!

http://www.janeadamsyoga.com/the-dvd-s.html
Oh I like everything I saw, love the outdoor scenes and her voice is soothing, in my opinion.

Thank you VV'er!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 03:37 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage vfer View Post
this one is filmed indoors. It doesn't matter though. You'll be too busy trying not to fall over to notice the scenery. :d
Yes, indeed!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 04:20 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Thank you VintageVFer for posting this! Hmmmm, now which one to buy first???
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 05:16 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Thank you VintageVFer for posting this! Hmmmm, now which one to buy first???
If you have a strong need for balance training (like I do), I'd definitely recommend getting the Stronger Standing Balance DVD first.

If, however, you just want some gentle yoga (like Alta), I'd go with the Gentle Yoga one that's filmed in Montana. It has a 22-minute balance practice and six other practices with different emphasis in each one. I think all the practices on that DVD are excellent and a few of the others also incorporate some balance. My second favorite practice on that DVD is the Desk and Computer one - great for posture.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance training, gentle yoga, jane adams, jane adams yoga, mirror cueing yoga, standing yoga, stronger standing balance, yoga for seniors