Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-14, 04:57 PM  
monkapotapus

Fitbit miles vs Leslie's miles

Hi everyone!
I'm new to posting here, but I've been a long time reader on this board!

I have a question ......

I just got a fitbit flex last week.
I did 2 of Leslie's walking videos the past 2 days & I noticed that her miles vary greatly from what my fitbit flex says when I am finished (same with how many steps it would take for me to do those miles).....

For instance:
Today I did Leslie's 5 mile fat burning walk.
After I finished it I checked my new fitbit readout.....those 5 miles (1hr 3min) logged in at 2.64 miles!
....so I added the 5th mile again with the cool down and rechecked it.....
That mile only logged .58 of a mile.....

So Leslie's "6 miles" only came up to 3.22 miles on my fitbit.....
I'm a little confused as to why there is such a big difference here.....and I'm not sure I can believe one of Leslie's miles is really a mile....which makes me sad because I love Leslie!

Just looking for some insight~
Thank you!
monkapotapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 06:52 PM  
momof10

Some of the side to side moves Leslie does the FitBit doesn't count. Plus the Flex is on your wrist. Make sure you are moving your arms as much as you can when you do her walking dvds. I have read on my FitBit friends forum that lots of people have this problem with Leslie's dvds. Just keep in mind that you are still moving and that's what counts but I do know when my FitBit registers only have of what I feel I have done, I do feel gypped out on it.

Cheryl
Old 09-20-14, 06:53 PM  
ADoll

Hi and Welcome! Yes, I have noticed that too when I use a Leslie workout and check my fitbit zip. The miles are less than a Leslie workout. The Bob Harper walk is more accurate when it comes to counting the miles.
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 07:30 PM  
monkapotapus

Thank you ladies!

Momof10~ I move my arms even when she's not! lol....and sometimes I move around if she's just marching in place

Yes, being more active is my goal! ....I was just thinking I was going to get all my steps in for this 1 video! lol (5 miles for me is a little over 12,000 steps - I'm only 5' 2"!!)

I guess I was just questioning if her "miles" were actual "miles".....
I was a little discouraged thinking I was doing a certain amount of miles, but they weren't even close to that number......maybe I should skip the side to side movements to see how that registers?
....I think I will do the same video/miles I did today and just go forward/backwards when she does side steps to see what the difference is.....I will report back!

Hi ADoll!
Thank you for the "welcome" ~
Good to know about the Bob Harper walk being closer in actual miles!
I will have to check it out.....does he have more than 1?
What is the name of that video, if you have it handy?
monkapotapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 07:49 PM  
ADoll

It is the Biggest Loser Power Walk. It's a nice change from Leslie every once in a while.
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 08:08 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I have an Ultra and find that the step count is just about equal to walking a real mile but then it is reading from my hip or chest. You definitely have to move the arm with the flex.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 08:12 PM  
Ciara15

Thanks for asking this question. I always wondered about Leslie's miles, since her walking workouts are my favorites. Leslie's new workout does not have miles and it seems like the new one coming out in October might not either.
Ciara15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-14, 08:08 AM  
Cher

I have the Fitbit One and it also reads close to Leslie's miles. I usually wear it on my hip or chest also.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-14, 01:06 PM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoll View Post
It is the Biggest Loser Power Walk . . .
I've never tried that one, sounds good. Thanks!
Old 09-21-14, 02:49 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Yes, Leslie's miles do correlate well to real-life miles. If you don't believe it, try listening to ne of her workouts while you walk on a treadmill and keep her pace. If you can find a treadmill near a TV, pop in a Leslie and walk to her beat. You will find the miles piling up rather quickly (if you can keep up!) So Leslie's miles do work out to real miles. And some pretty killer real miles at that!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitbit, leslie