Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-14, 04:25 PM  
PrairieGem

Question Mysterious tiny pockets in workout pants

What are they for?!

I went to buy some new tops for running, specifically looking for pockets that will hold my phone. (These are new concerns, issues I have not encountered in 20 years of working out in bike shorts and a sports bra to exercise videos! LOL) I lucked out and found some pretty cool things from Fila and Champion that make me excited to get out there in the nice spring weather. (And big props to Fila, Champion, Target, and Kohl's, for carrying running clothes that fit women with curves!! I got tired of struggling to zip an XL jacket over my size 10 hips at the running store! )

But. I am perplexed by what fitness companies consider a "pocket" in pants, excitedly boasting about the 1x2" slit in the waistband, or a zipper on the back, covering a recess that might fit a LifeSaver. What do they think we'll put in there? It's not big enough for an ID or a credit card, and I guess it might hold a house key, but how many of us (OK, I do) carry a single key with us, and nothing else, when we leave the house? An emergency backup shoelace? What?!
Old 04-09-14, 04:38 PM  
alisoncooks

Haha, I managed to wedge my library card in the tiny pocket of my Champion capris the other day (our walking trail circles a library complex & I wanted to stop in afterwards, LOL). But I really had to do some wrangling to get it in there... and I was afraid it'd pop out if I moved too much.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 04:44 PM  
pcramer

I put my BodyMedia display device (pedometer) in those tiny lil pockets fits perfectly!!
Old 04-09-14, 04:51 PM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

Key

I think it's meant for a single key, but not necessarily a house key. Maybe they assume everything else you brought with you is locked up in a locker in the dressing room of a gym? That's what I keep in mine. I bet they weren't designed with running in mind. If I was running, the only thing I'd put in there is my house key though and I'd have a separate house key from my usual set of multiple keys for that purpose. I don't like to carry stuff when I run.

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 04:58 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I've been running in Sparkleskirts lately. They have a big zippered pocket on the waistband that holds my phone, and two big pockets on the legs too. I did a 10K last month and rain was in the forecast, so I had a trash bag, plastic baggies, and all kinds of odd stuff in the pockets.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 05:18 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I think it's meant for either a key (house or gym locker) or a wadded up $20 bill for emergency shopping.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 05:19 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Fitbit!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 06:33 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

reminds me of those men's Angel Flight pants from the 70s.

tiny inside pocket in the front, and no pockets anywhere else. and faux pocket flaps on the front.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 06:58 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
I've been running in Sparkleskirts lately. They have a big zippered pocket on the waistband that holds my phone, and two big pockets on the legs too. I did a 10K last month and rain was in the forecast, so I had a trash bag, plastic baggies, and all kinds of odd stuff in the pockets.
Ohmigosh, I love those! We're doing a 4th of July race for my 40th birthday, and some of those designs would be so fun! Alas, I definitely need something longer than a 6.5" inseam. But, yes: clearly THOSE PEOPLE had gone running before and wondered where to put their wallets!

Geez, even the Kangaroo shoes I had in second grade had more practical pockets than some of these pants. LOL

This is one of the tops I bought today. There's a hip pocket at the princess seam, and it's very roomy, but not baggy, so nothing's going to flop around while you run. Nice and snug. And this Champion top has a zip pocket in the back that goes all the way across (you could absolutely store a trash bag in there, and maybe even a spare pair of SHOES, not just the laces!
Old 04-09-14, 09:14 PM  
marissajd

I often keep my Fitbit in mine. I also use it to carry my bus/subway pass -- much easier than digging around in my purse for it!

At other times, I've used it to hold a gym locker key, my ipod nano, or cash/CC and ID for a quick trip to the store.

I'm so used to the pocket that it bugs me when workout pants don't have them!

Tags
workout clothes