Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-14, 03:59 PM  
alisoncooks

Let's start at the very beginning... a very good place to start...

So this past year (or 2) has been very rough for me, in regards to fitness. I've had some challenges with homeschooling my oldest, and I pretty much abandoned regular workouts and dove headfirst into sweet tea and coffee (and donuts) for comfort & stamina.

Mis-take!

Anyway, I am back at my high weight... PLUS 15 extra pounds. Sheesh.
These past 2 weeks I've been trying to work out, and everything I have is SO HARD.

Even in small doses.

Today I gave in and ordered Powerfit Harmony. I'm hoping I can handle it and get some use out of it for a while. I have a few Leslies and a beginner yoga video or two...

Anyone else basically starting over? Or any extreme newbies here? I went back and was looking at my Collage success story, and I am so frustrated with myself. I'd love to be where I was when I wrote that -- and IIRC, I wasn't happy with how far I'd gotten back then. Wish I could go back to that Me and slap her around a bit! (I was healthy and fit, even if it wasn't my pre-kid weight! I didn't appreciate that then... I thought I was only half-way to my goal. Stupid, unrealistic goal!)

Anyone else wanna fess up? And starter-overs?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 04:06 PM  
14yrbeliever

I'm starting over for the millionth time in my life. I had lost about 50 lbs about 2 years ago and was almost from the obese to the overweight range and then I got busy getting my PhD thesis done and BAM...it really seemed like overnight...within 6 months I had stopped working out and had gained the 50 back. 50 more followed them....so here I am...obese and at my highest weight ever. I had been working out at a med/high-intermediate level before and now I have to modify everything down to a beginner level.

I, too, just bought Powerfit 5 day rotation and Powerfit Harmony! So I shall think of you as I try to get in my 20-40 min per day and grunt my way towards the future which will hopefully include a healthier, happier me (and you!).
14yrbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 04:11 PM  
topfitmama

Me . Fessing up here.
I'm back to my high weight too. It's crept on slowly, over the last three years or so. It's not a ton of weight, something like 17-18 lbs, but ever since I weaned my daughter completely, I haven't been able to keep the weight off.
I started out this year with great intentions. I have been keeping up with my daily movement (for the most), but my eating has been a disaster. I'll eat when I'm nervous, sad, worried, frustrated, feeling insecure, to celebrate the rare moments when I feel on top of things... It's been a bit of an emotional roller-coaster for many reasons, and I'm busier than I had been for the last few years.
I know those are excuses. It's a poor habit that I need to break.
Anyway... don't feel alone.
Kudos for homeschooling your daughter! That is quite the feat, if you ask me.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 04:11 PM  
vanessakm

Yeah. My knees got so bad the last 2 1/2 years, I basically couldn't work out without hobbling for a few days afterwards. I could never bring myself to give up working out entirely (although I thought about it), but my schedule slid to between 1-3 days a week, and I rarely enjoyed it. I got seriously out of shape and just didn't feel like myself; working out had been one of my favorite activities. Like you, I could wish I could go back in time and shake the fittest version of myself who once told a yoga teacher she was "too fat" to do Scorpion pose.

(If you don't know Scorpion pose, it's insane.)

Anyways, I got orthovisc shots in my knees in December and it made a miraculous difference. I still have to be very careful of my knees and I still am banned from high impact, but I am back to 5 days a week workouts now. I didn't realize how much I missed it. I just started ordering from Collage again....in time for them to go out of business.
vanessakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 04:12 PM  
Kitten

I started over back in September. Before I quit working out, I was probably a high intermediate/low advanced exerciser. When I started again-after years of not doing it-all I could do were a couple of one mile Leslie's I had.
Fast forward 6 months later and I can do up to 4 miles, and my flexibility is slowly coming back. I wish you good luck in your new fitness journey!
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 04:12 PM  
donnamp

Oh, ((HUGS)) I hate setbacks.

Although I have been working out regularly and consistently, I have really taken down the intensity quite a bit over the last year - and now I'm wanting to build back up to doing some more challenging workouts. I was eyeing the PowerFits as a place to start as well, or I was thinking about doing the Firm's "6 Pack" workouts from "back in the day" - they are shorter and easier/slower paced than most of the other FIRM workouts out there.

I was also thinking about Margaret Richard - her stuff is gentle, so less chance of injury, but challenging.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 04:16 PM  
Kitten

I did the YBB live rotation around Christmas. At 30-45minutes 6x a week it was easy to fit in.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
susan p
VF Supporter

I think you guys need to know JUST HOW AMAZING YOU ARE.

Which is pretty daggone amazing.

Giving up is so easy. Trying again is so hard. I've heard it said many times that it isn't falling that gets ya, it's not getting back up. I know that I have been a restarter MANY TIMES and I always tell myself that it's ok if I am a restarter FOREVER as long as I don't ever STOP being a restarter. Ya know??

So heads high, ladies. You're being resilient and that's a wonderful thing. And I LOVE Stephanie's PowerFits!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
PhyllisG

For anyone who is starting over, has weight to lose I suggest Beachbody's 21 Day fix. Half hour workouts 7 days a week for 21 days. The food plan is very helpful with the colored containers. There is a modifier and you can make it as hard or easier as you like. After the initial 21 days you can go on to do as many rounds as you want. I really liked these and I liked the instructor too. I lost 7 lbs. in the 21 days. No dread. Great results and no I do not own stock in the company.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 04:19 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am not a newbie right now, but I have been more than once due to injuries or surgery. There is no where to go but up, and I think Powerfit is a great place to start! The workouts are nicely paced if you are starting out or just need a more low key option. 20 min is a perfect length and you always have the option of doing more than one at at time. It is one set I won't trade as I never know when I might need it again, touch wood!

Have you joined a check in? I find that a great way to get support, encouragement, and accountability.

I wish you all the best!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frustration, restarting, starting over, weight gain