Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-13, 03:17 PM  
Charmed

Give me your thoughts....

I am 52 years old and according to the charts, my THR should be somewhere between 118-143. For some reason, when I exercise with Leslie, I simply cannot get my heart rate up. According to my HR monitor, I am usually in the teens, with occasional spikes to the 120s. I am jumping, jogging, using hand weights, exaggerating my movements, and still can't get that heart pumpin'.

The strange thing is that I feel that I really AM getting a workout. I sweat, breathe fast and hard, and my perceived exertion is right up there.

So, do I not worry about what my HR monitor says and just go with how I feel?

Michelle
Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 03:30 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

It's interesting you posted this b/c I'm having the same experience with my HR monitor (I'm 41.) My HR just isn't getting as high as it used to. ?? I don't know what's up with that.

I would say if you are feeling that you are working hard, you probably are. I just don't really understand how my monitor works, how it comes up with the range is does sometimes, etc. It's sort of turning into a glorified wrist watch.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 04:30 PM  
Bebop

And this is why I stopped using a heart rate monitor.

I was becoming obsessed with the numbers on the monitor.

I'm 52 and have been using Perceived exhertion for years. I rate myself on a scale from 1- 10.

I know when I have made fitness gains because there are workouts that used to make me pass out and now they are walks in the park.

As far as Leslie - I use her as low impact, low days. I never get my heart rate up more than a perceived exhertion of 4 or maybe 5 if I'm boosting the walking. But I use them for steady state conditioning. I know it works because my recreational walks are easy and I can walk longer and longer distances without problems.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 05:20 PM  
dbclark44

Quote:
I would say if you are feeling that you are working hard, you probably are. I just don't really understand how my monitor works, how it comes up with the range is does sometimes, etc. It's sort of turning into a glorified wrist watch.
I agree with this. Perceived exertion is better than any chest wrist or other kind of monitor. I remember reading somewhere the monitors aren't an exact science and can be off by as many as 10 points. There really there to give you an idea of where you're at. And if you're working out in the teens for your age that's not bad and is in the fat burning zone, so take comfort in the fact you're doing something other than sitting around on the couch .

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 05:28 PM  
juberann

I rarely use my HRM anymore, just kept watching it all the time, got discouraged if I didn't like seeing the numbers it was showing and just, in general, found that is became disruptive. I totally agree, Preceived Exertion is a much more accurate way to gauge how hard you are working and .......it never lies! I got away from obsessing about how many calories I was burning because exercise is no longer about that for me.
Old 07-26-13, 05:47 PM  
andtckrtoo

I'm going to step in with a differing opinion. I'm in my late 40's, and I've found it's easy to slack off using perceived exertion. I stopped using my HRM for a while, then was given one for Christmas and started wearing one again (same brand - reads the same way). I was shocked at how out of shape I had become. I was also shocked at how low some workouts I did kept my HR. Zumba doesn't get my HR over 117. I love Zumba, and still do it, but I also realize that I need other things. Now, I don't obsess over the numbers. including calorie burn. If I don't hit a certain zone, I don't really care. But I do use it as a gauge against my own feelings to see if a workout is really giving me what I consider a workout.

That being said - I think if Leslie gives you a good workout, why worry if your HR is only in a certain spot. If you are getting the results you want and you like the way you feel, that's all good!
Old 07-26-13, 05:54 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

When you say "the charts", do you mean those basic, "this is your age, this should be your heart rate" charts? I found a formula somewhere online that incorporated your resting heart rate into the equation. And the formula was different for men and women. Maybe google it?
Old 07-26-13, 06:06 PM  
Charmed

Yes, the 220-your age charts. I am limited on cardio because I have PF in both my feet. I used to walk outside...can't do it anymore. But Leslie doesn't bother my feet and I am too choreographically challenged to do much else. I am just surprised that my HR is that low, considering my panting and sweating. I am okay where I am considering the fact that 2 yrs ago my PF was so bad I could barely limp. So I will stop moaning and keep trudging on!
Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 06:12 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
Yes, the 220-your age charts.
Yeah, that's a very simplified formula with a good +/- 11 bpm to either side. If you really want to, (and barring doing a true maximal test or using the highest number you have ever seen at max effort on your monitor) you can try using gender and/or age specific charts, but you're probably best off using perceived exertion as you are now.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 06:24 PM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I stopped using my HRM for a while, then was given one for Christmas and started wearing one again (same brand - reads the same way). I was shocked at how out of shape I had become. I was also shocked at how low some workouts I did kept my HR. Zumba doesn't get my HR over 117. I love Zumba, and still do it, but I also realize that I need other things. Now, I don't obsess over the numbers. including calorie burn. If I don't hit a certain zone, I don't really care. But I do use it as a gauge against my own feelings to see if a workout is really giving me what I consider a workout.

That being said - I think if Leslie gives you a good workout, why worry if your HR is only in a certain spot. If you are getting the results you want and you like the way you feel, that's all good!
+1 on the bolded parts. I received a new HRM for Christmas and have been sometimes amazed at how low the number stays with certain workouts. Also, the "time in zone" is really surprising. I also don't obsess over the numbers but I do make sure I'm getting in workouts that make my HR get where it needs to be.

Have you been doing Leslie exclusively and for a long time? I think if you love what you're doing you should stick with it, but you may need to expand your workout repertoire a bit to shake things up (or even just to experiment to see what happens with your heart rate).

Tags
heart rate, perceived exertion, sally edwards