Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-13, 10:39 AM  
Jewels5

I also think anything you fit in is going to help.

I wear cross trainers for Leslie and walking shoes for outdoors. I just happen to have two pairs because I like to have an indoor pair and an outdoor pair. I am prone to shin splints (and other overuse injuries--sigh!) and have learned the hard way if I haven't had proper fitting shoes and/or if I haven't stretched enough afterwards. I still get lazy in the evenings sometimes and forget to stretch after my walks.

Hope you join us in the walking thread! It helps me get more walks in for sure!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-13, 11:00 AM  
fitloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
for my walks w/ leslie i use cross-trainers, for my outdoor walks or tm walks i use running shoes.
+1
fitloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-13, 12:23 PM  
lrb04

Lora~ Do what you can! Maybe you can walk longer on some days & others days maybe you could fit in a 5-15" walk! Just to get you thinking about it & you get some cardio effect from shorter walks! It adds up!!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-13, 12:40 PM  
lrb04

I also do other cardio during the week but try to get at least 15" or less a Leslie mile a day. If walking outside I would do 10-15". It really depends on how much you want to do so you like doing it!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-13, 06:44 PM  
OrangeSofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Ummmm....thought this was a Walking Dead thread..."the walkers."
LOL! I think someone commented on the Walking Dead thread that they opened the thread because they thought Walking Dead was a new workout video!

(BTW, I love outdoor walking and Leslie, too.)

"The cha-cha is no more ridiculous than life itself."-Whit Stillman
OrangeSofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-13, 08:03 PM  
MaggieG

This is a fun thread. It's good to hear about others walking results.

I started walking again on the "cardio" days when I was doing the Les Mills Pump rotation a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

Then I came across a site with lots of walking information - - thewalkingsite.com

The site has suggested walking programs for beginners to advanced and lots more.
MaggieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 03:44 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I'm a big fan of walking too. Walked a lot after having a kid and I'm sure it helped me both physically and mentally! Fresh air & exercise during stroller rides for me, extra nap time for little one I've always had good luck wearing Privo shoes with insoles inserted (the halfsies you can find on www.footsmart.com) and also with Chaco sandals (built-in arch support is awesome... I particularly love the Hipthong model as it's almost as easy to slip on as a flip flop but has most of the support of a full hiking sandal).
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 05:30 AM  
Tess5

LoraJC- I am new to posting, but have been a lurker here for a long time and before that I was on the Cathe forum and I remember you posed a great tip about mascara that I have used from that day forward! I saw your post about walking and weight loss (earlier) and decided to create an i.d. to post.

I have had a lot of ups and downs for illness, injury and other reasons with exercise. I have felt down a lot about not being the champ exerciser at times I was at an earlier time in my life.

Walking has really worked well for me, just as others have posted.

I found that shoes didn't matter or the questions you ask about how to do it to fuel weight loss, i.e. pumping arms, etc. but I found that just finding a way to connect with walking and drop the self-judgement really made me move forward.

As a longtime exercise, the details, like pumping arms, wearing weighted gloves, doing intervals, using music, not using music -->they are all good ideas and different things work at different times. But for me, it was a kind of unhappiness that whatever I tried would not work, so I had a hard time being consistent, until I got back into a new groove and didn't compare it to my old groove.

I have liked using a pedometer. It's motivating for me. I have a fitbit now mostly because I kept losing cheaper ones and thought I'd spring for a fitbit and be motivated not to lose it.

I had some foot problems, too. For awhile I would walk outdoors wearing Sanuk shoes. For a steady paced walk outside on flat surfaces, they made me feel kind of free, no socks, no expensive 5-toe shoes, but me and my feet and wanting to be active again but not feeling up to it.

I hope this helps.
Tess5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 12:56 PM  
LoriSax

Since reading Lapis' response, she has really inspired me!! I walked off about 15 lbs. 15 years ago, but now that I am older, I never thought walking was a hard enough workout. About a month ago, I started walking again, and have lost 2 lbs. walking mainly my 3.6 mile route. The last 3 days I have been walking a 5 mile route! That is a long ways!! I am sweating buckets by the time I get home! I have been using Spark People to track calories, and I am hoping I get the same kind of results. Right now my legs are feeling it!
LoriSax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 01:04 PM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriSax View Post
Since reading Lapis' response, she has really inspired me!! I walked off about 15 lbs. 15 years ago, but now that I am older, I never thought walking was a hard enough workout. About a month ago, I started walking again, and have lost 2 lbs. walking mainly my 3.6 mile route. The last 3 days I have been walking a 5 mile route! That is a long ways!! I am sweating buckets by the time I get home! I have been using Spark People to track calories, and I am hoping I get the same kind of results. Right now my legs are feeling it!
Good job! That is great.
I love walking too.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leslie, leslie sansone, walking