Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-13, 08:46 PM  
lorajc

I listen to my own music when doing Leslie and for variety, I use my weight vest some times, other times jump off and on the rebounder...also use wrists wt...makes it less boring.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 08:49 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I lost about 15 lbs last year by just adding walking. I walked 4-5 miles per day outdoors and made sure it was a brisk walk. I listened to Maroon 5 music, which made it easy for me to keep up a brisk pace and keep going. It took me less than 3 months to drop the 15 lbs.

Thanks for starting this thread...it prompted me to walk 2 miles outdoors tonight.
Old 07-14-13, 09:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I lost 5 lbs. in a month from just walking a new dog we had adopted. You know their pace is walk and sniff etc.
Walk and Sniff - - -you just named the next Leslie series!!!!! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis View Post
I lost 15 - 17 lbs last year simply by walking ...... I walked at a regular pace, however, I walked a lot ...... I was averaging 5 miles a day which I did for 7 days a week and this resulted in losing the weight quickly ...... I walked every evening at a nearby trail (my trail did have uphills.)
very inspiring! how many weeks did it take for you to drop the 17#? how long did it take you to do your daily walks in minutes? thanks. i know everyone is different.

there've been lots of past threads about simply walking being the only ticket to weight loss.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 10:12 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
This has been interesting to read!
I've been thinking of taking on a Leslie-Challenge of some sort, with lots of walking. I've been reaching for her workouts a lot, and nothing else really appeals to me right now...so I figure I might as well!
This sounds like me. I'm in a major post-birthday slump right now (as in: OK, now I'm 60 and still 40 lbs overweight!), and nothing else appeals to me except lots and lots of walking, both with Leslie and outside. Come join us at the monthly Leslie challenge check-in if you'd like!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 10:21 AM  
hotncmom

For those of you that have had that success with walking 4-5 miles a day, did you do all the walking at once or could you split it up throughout the day?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 10:25 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
For those of you that have had that success with walking 4-5 miles a day, did you do all the walking at once or could you split it up throughout the day?
I split mine up throughout the day. I was walking 1.5 miles during lunch and the rest at night.
Old 07-15-13, 10:54 AM  
lapis
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
very inspiring! how many weeks did it take for you to drop the 17#? how long did it take you to do your daily walks in minutes? thanks. i know everyone is different.
Hi bzar:

I began walking around the middle of August and from day 1 started at 5 miles per day which I did every day until the end of September (so I guess that would be around 5 weeks of daily walking in which I walked 35 miles per week ..... I never skipped a day.) I lost exactly 15 lbs during those 5 weeks and beginning October I cut back my walking to 3 miles a day and my weightloss stopped, however, I still maintained my 15 lb weightloss ....... I noted that when I would go back to my daily 5 miles, my weight would drop again (so depending on how many miles I walked, my weightloss was between 15 - 17lbs.)

My walking times differed depending on the activity at the park (the trails are very popular for walkers and runners and can get busy especially in the evenings when I would go, however, normally I would complete my 5 miles in 75 minutes.)
lapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 12:06 PM  
lrb04

Quote:
Originally Posted by msthistlebottom View Post
this sounds like me. I'm in a major post-birthday slump right now (as in: Ok, now i'm 60 and still 40 lbs overweight!), and nothing else appeals to me except lots and lots of walking, both with leslie and outside. Come join us at the monthly leslie challenge check-in if you'd like!
Alison or anyone else come join us! You can do just Leslie, just outdoor walks or both! I Leslie & have been walking with her daily & I suppose I have not gone nuts yet! I just her walks. I do other workouts too but try to get my Leslie mile or miles in first! I have maintain & lost some weight with the walks. My main weight loss was 3 years ago which was around 15 pounds & I was not walking then, it was do to eating less. Now with walking & low impact I am the lowest I been since a young adult. If I did not indulge on the cookies that I bake I would be there. I wanted to loss 3-5 pounds but no more then 10 pounds! I think the main thing is find something that you can do daily or as much as you can without getting yourself sick of exercising. You do not need to do strenuous or high impact to lose weight.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 02:10 PM  
donnamp

Gosh, this post has me thinking. I'm wondering out loud to myself if I can find a way to sneak in 1.5 miles a day 3 X per day. It really wouldn't take me very long - if I walk on a TM it is about 20 min or so (I generally do a 13 min mile on the TM). Outside may be slower b/c of wind resistance. If not daily, I'm wondering if I could do it 4 days per week......and maybe do 3 miles on the other 3 days. Walking is great!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 02:18 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I lost 10 lbs last spring/summer by doing long brisk walks about 5 X per week. I wore my step counter and aimed for 10,000 steps, and it took me about 75 - 80 minutes at at brisk pace. I did a lot of stretching and yoga as well.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leslie, leslie sansone, walking