Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-13, 01:41 PM  
bearcatfan

Why did I buy all these dvds?

Sigh.

Every now and again I have to do a purge of my dvds. Mine are in a bookcase, and I swear I get some kind of anxiety just looking at them. If there are too many, I suffer from decision paralysis. Just the right amount, I find what I'm looking for and am happy.

My purge cut my collection in half! It was amazing because the stuff I kept, I know why I kept it (if that makes sense). They aren't new dvds, either. They are old favorites that brought a smile to my face, and I look forward to doing. They range from Firm Classics to older Cathe ... probably the newest (to me) are some Jillians. I am not even sure I want to make the effort to trade the also-rans - what would I trade them for? I'm perfectly happy with my old friends.

I can never hold myself to a no-buy challenge, especially in the beginning of the year. Usually by mid-year, however, I am tired of it all. It's a vicious cycle.
Old 05-28-13, 02:02 PM  
Sissy B

Why did I buy all these DVDs?

I ask myself the same question at times.

I have tons of DVDs that I am not using and that is after doing several major purges. There are some that I just cannot bring myself to get rid of even though I'm not using them.

I do find myself overwhelmed at times by the number of DVDs that I have. If I have too many choices I end up doing nothing.

I have gotten better about buying new DVDs - I am a lot more selective now and I don't buy that much anymore.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-13, 02:23 PM  
marmact

This is me, too. I wonder sometimes how I ended up with SO MUCH. Ugh. I really prefer an all-around more minimal approach to pretty much everything (clothes, workouts, shoes, books, everything). Clutter makes me feel a little crazed and all I see now are wasted dollar signs.

I've purged several times but also still have way too many workouts. However, I do feel like I'm at least making progress. I've also chosen not to participate in some recent sales, so I feel good about that. (That doesn't mean I'm not going to buy stuff ever again, but I'm being far more selective than I've ever been before. About the only thing on my radar at this point is Shaun T's new set.)
Old 05-28-13, 03:41 PM  
Bebop

I did a purge and I'm happy with my collection.

I'm not even pre-ordering Cathe. I will buy the kickbox workout because Cathe kickbox workouts are my favorite.

It's not that I don't want to buy anymore, it's just that there is nothing new out there that I don't already have in another DVD.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-13, 04:01 PM  
Sara1000

I mostly just put away workouts I'm not using. I have them neatly categorized into labeled shoeboxes. Every once in a while I get the urge to do some workout or workouts I put away and then I'm glad I still have them.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-13, 04:34 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I mostly just put away workouts I'm not using. I have them neatly categorized into labeled shoeboxes. Every once in a while I get the urge to do some workout or workouts I put away and then I'm glad I still have them.
This is me too. I have all of the DVD's I'm not using in a large plastic box in my closet. I take the DVD's I want to be using currently out of the cases and put them in a flip folder. Every once in a while I will rotate them out.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-13, 04:38 PM  
mrsyancy

I'm never overwhelmed by my large collection......I love seeing how many DVDs I have.....it's almost like a trophy to me

And even if I'm not using them right now, I never know when the time may come for me to use them again
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-13, 04:42 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

If you have the computer capability for it, streaming videos are a good option. I was stuck in an endless cycle of shopping/buying/selling/trading for many years. But since I've been doing streaming workouts, I've only purchased two dvds in the last three months with no desire to purchase anything at the moment. With streaming, I get the variety that I like and I spend less than $10 a month. Plus the streaming videos don't take up any space in my house. I don't have to triage/organize/store or worry about a collection and that saves me a lot of headache.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-13, 10:28 AM  
carres1973

Definitely in the same place!

I keep telling myself to CUT IT OUT and not buy. However, a new DVD comes out and either the price is too good to pass up (Z-cut) or it is an old favorite (Cathe) and I collapse like a flan in a cupboard! My latest was the Bollywood set discussed here not that long ago (Doonya). Why did I buy the three-dvd set???!!! I really need to do a serious purge and get rid of DVDs. I haven't done any of the older Cathe's in a couple years. Why not sell or trade? Same with Leslie's and some TA's.

I did do a good clean up a few months ago. DVDs aren't going for much on ebay these days. The negativity from the buyers was also disheartening .

Carrie
carres1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-13, 10:34 AM  
BeChi

I put them all in a 5-drawer rolling cart to hide them in another room. I still find myself collecting more, esp. when it's a resale find.

Looking back it was very hard to let go of the video tape. Since there's no real replacement other then downloads, I think I'll these DVD's will be a keeper for another 7 years.
BeChi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large collection, no buy, too many dvds, vidiocy