Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-13, 10:16 AM  
ncl

Thanks for your reply slysam. That was helpful! I did the Core DVD yesterday and I am super sore today. Yikes. The muscles inbetween my ribs are even sore. I enjoyed the workout a lot. We'll see how I like the other ones.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 11:09 AM  
lupeok

Out of curiosity...ncl, what type of ballroom dance do you do that you need more strength? When I was an active competitor (Standard), nothing really got me in competition shape more than repeatedly running rounds.
lupeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 11:15 AM  
koinonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
I am actually dancing now (ballroom) and in my workouts, I would like to be strong and small. I do bulk up with heavy weights and I also find they leave my body less sensitive to the fine movements I am trying to learn for dancing. So I quit doing heavy weight workouts some time ago, but still do medium weights and circuit workouts (a la Cathe's Afterburn or Firm workouts). But, as I advance in dancing, I am finding that I need some serious strength and wondered how challenging Ballet Body really is and how much strength I would gain, if any. I have been wanting to try it for awhile, but it's quite an investment to get a periodization system (too much if it's not gonna work but a fine investment if it is effective) and for me, too difficult to figure out how to put her workouts together myself otherwise. Please advise.
I have Leah's downloads and dvds, and imo the downloads are harder and made me quite strong. I didn't gain crazy muscles like you would get from strength training (not my goal anyways), but I was able to hold planks longer and even do the dreaded side plank with one leg in releve with ease. It also made my other barre workouts easier. I think the dvds are a good place to start for those who are new to Leah's technique but if you really want a challenge later on, get some of the downloads. HTH
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 11:46 AM  
ncl

lupeok, I am doing both smooth and American Rhythm, but am finding that I need the power for the smooth dancing (waltz, tango, foxtrot for those who don't know the terminology). I am finding I need more leg strength and more back/core strength. I know some of that will come from dancing but I'd like to help out with my workouts. What do you mean by running rounds?

koinonia, thanks for your input. I am glad to hear that the downloads are more challenging than the DVDs. I am finding the DVDs pretty challenging for now, but I'll want somewhere to progress to when they are feeling easier. I have never really done barre, so I am excited to be trying something new. If I like what's happening with my body with the DVDs after a little bit, I'll probably invest in a periodization system.
Old 03-27-13, 12:08 PM  
lupeok

ncl, running rounds refers to simulating a competition (i.e. dancing your routine full out with 90 sec of Waltz, then Tango, etc.) a few times in a row.

I've only done the DVDs, not the periodization system of Ballet Body, but there's lots of actions you'll need to do that aren't replicated in traditional workouts, such as the Cuban hip motion for Rhythm (and to a certain extent, Smooth).

That said, I'm sure Ballet Body will only help your dancing, especially for line figures. Good luck!
Old 03-27-13, 12:14 PM  
lupeok

Oh, and this is slightly off topic from what you originally asked, but I think Jaana and Julia's Core Rhythms would help you with the muscular endurance aspect of Cuban motion in your back and your core. The body movements are extremely exaggerated in their workouts, which I imagine would only make dancing it that much easier. And you should be able to find it pretty cheap.
Old 03-27-13, 12:51 PM  
koinonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post

koinonia, thanks for your input. I am glad to hear that the downloads are more challenging than the DVDs. I am finding the DVDs pretty challenging for now, but I'll want somewhere to progress to when they are feeling easier. I have never really done barre, so I am excited to be trying something new. If I like what's happening with my body with the DVDs after a little bit, I'll probably invest in a periodization system.
Just a warning, the periodization system is time consuming. I think the workouts range between 60-90 minutes a day?? Time was the reason I didn't do the system. I prefer workouts that are between 30-50 minutes. I piece together the workouts that I like most on my own anyways, because I wasn't crazy about all the segments. But not everybody likes doing that and prefer a well laid out and organized plan for these segments.
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 01:01 PM  
ncl

I have been doing the BB split dvds for a week. I love them! I am SORE, too. I have been doing Cathe Tabata warmup and 1 Tabata section to warm up the days when I do these and I love the combination and I'm doing various cardio on the other days.

Tags
ballet body, ballet body rotations, dancing, leah sarago