Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-13, 11:28 AM  
sherry7899

I have an account, but I barely ever post anything, (I mainly share cute Peanuts cartoons, things about music and cat pictures) and keep as much as possible private. I honestly only joined it because a few of my friends who live far away for some reason would not reply to emails, but will write me back if I contact them through Facebook (my DH opened an account first and I wrote them through his account. He barely posts on his either).

I stay on it for that reason, and because of a few private groups I belong to on there. It also seems to be a really good way to get information about fitness instructors and authors and other things I am interested in.

I absolutely do not understand why people post every minute detail of their life. I would not do that in a million years.

I've also found it to be hurtful in some ways, because I can see posts from friends that I have contacted more than once to try to make plans to get together post about plans they've made and followed through with other people.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 11:29 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
I was on FB briefly a few years ago, but deleted the account. At first it was fun to catch up with old friends, but after awhile it started to feel like a never-ending high school reunion. Not to sound unkind, but I'm just not interested in my old prom date's bunions or what he had for breakfast.
This made me laugh! It's so true isn't it? There are people who will post anything.... what they eat, how sick they are and all the gory details, how sick their kids are and how many times they've thrown up, etc. And don't get me started on the braggers or the vaguebookers. It makes me roll my eyes to see someone post something like..... "Oh my gosh. It's a terrible thing!" Basically they're looking for attention, wanting others to ask them what's wrong. Why don't they just say what happened? Just spit it out.

Sorry, I could rant on forever about this kind of stuff. There are a lot of people on facebook that need a huge reality check. (And this is not to say that I don't have plenty of friends who post things that are relevant, entertaining and newsworthy!)
Old 01-17-13, 11:31 AM  
sherry7899

Jeanne, I know many people who post just those kinds of things! It drives me crazy (so why do I read them?)

I've also found it to be annoying that people will take the time to post on their wall and share with the world, but not reply to a private message. My DH left a large music collection over an old friend's house, and the friend did not contact him to thank him, yet he posted umpteen times on his wall the day that my DH dropped it off (the friend was not home). He had time to reply to other people, but not to extend common courtesy to someone he has known over thirty years. That really pissed me off.

Sherry

Old 01-17-13, 11:34 AM  
Cheyenne Shaw
VF Supporter

I had a FB page 2 years ago, but I have since deactivated due to ex boyfriends trying to find me, it was not a good thing (long story).

John 16:33

I have said these things to you, that in Me (Jesus) you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."
Cheyenne Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 11:35 AM  
DejaDeb

I used to be on Facebook, but started getting requests from random people through work (i.e., the guy I interviewed for a position one day), so I shut it down. The only reason I'd joined in the first place was to stay in touch with my two sons, but now we talk on the phone.
Old 01-17-13, 11:40 AM  
Indy

Never been on Facebook and have absolutely no desire either. I too private and old fashioned. I grew up when there wasn't any such thing as the internet and I have no inclination to share so much of my life with an online community. Children today are so different. I don't like the trend of inviting people to a party via facebook or friending people - makes a mockery of the word "friend."
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 11:44 AM  
sherry7899

Indy-I understand what you mean. My niece has over 700 hundred friends, which could not possibly be friends in the real sense of the word.

Sherry

Old 01-17-13, 11:46 AM  
Sissy B

I am not on Facebook and have no plans to be. I value my privacy and don't want all my info out there for just anyone to find. And sorry, but with Facebook's ever changing policies on privacy, I don't trust them to keep my info safe. I also have not allowed my DD to start a Facebook account either for the same reason. Some of the kids at her school are on Facebook, but she's okay with not being on it. She and her friends use text messaging to stay in touch/keep informed about events.

I also don't want to reconnect with every person I've ever known. Like someone else said, I'm in touch with the people I want to be in touch with and if I'm not, there's a reason I don't have anything to do with them.

And to out myself as even more of a freak, I don't even have a Smart Phone. I still have just a basic phone. I'm perfectly happy with it.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 11:52 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I finally caved due to pressure from friends a couple years ago, and after being thoroughly annoyed by the waste of time, my inability to keep my privacy PRIVATE because FB kept changing the game, and just the general creepiness, I deactivated my account. It only took me a couple of months to arrive there, too, so my gut instinct of avoiding FB like the plague was right all along.

Now I wonder, though, if I shouldn't have just deleted rather than deactivated the account. I know if I can find my password and sign in, everything would be right there again and I could look into deleting it, but I've heard they've made it next to impossible these days to ~fully~ delete your account. Does anybody know about this?

As far as posting with a pseudonym, I know a couple of people who had 'fake' FB accounts...and FB figured it out (again with the creepy!!) and shut them down.

But I agree with you all on all you've said. I'm also thoroughly annoyed that to have access to so many things these days, you need a FB account. Not wanting to play that game excludes me from some stuff I'm actually interested in, but what's a person to do?
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 11:54 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
Metabolic Effect is on facebook..I can give them a message for you if you want, then we'll see if it gets their attention..or you could just always go ahead and dispute the charges.
I don't really want to dispute the charges, I want my log in info. I just can't figure out what is happening to my emails.

Tags
facebook, old thread alert