Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-13, 10:23 AM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
I've never heard of it being illegal! I hope not
I just googled 'fake name on facebook' and it's going to take a while to wade through everything.

Just glancing at the results, it may just be a Facebook policy (which may or may not have changed) and not a legal issue. There have been demands that Facebook allow fake names. (It seems that Facebook will allow fake names, such as Lady Gaga, once the person's real name has been verified.)

I should have opened this can of worms! Sorry!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 10:27 AM  
sbh

I had an account for three years. I was happy to find my long lost sister. It did sucked a lot of time out of me. though It's been three weeks since I closed it. I have this huge feeling of relief. It was just too much information. I keep thinking, "I don't want to know that." I miss some things about it though. But, I'm not sure what FB does with your private information though. That always bugged me, so I bugged out.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 10:33 AM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

I was on FB briefly a few years ago, but deleted the account. At first it was fun to catch up with old friends, but after awhile it started to feel like a never-ending high school reunion. Not to sound unkind, but I'm just not interested in my old prom date's bunions or what he had for breakfast. I grew up in a small town, so it was hard to friend some people and not others. My last straw was finding out via Facebook that my Mom had collapsed and was rushed to the hospital. She was okay, but the whole episode freaked me out. Now I stick to VF for online socializing.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 10:33 AM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

But I do have to say that many of my friends have grandchildren now. The parents of those grandkids are VERY much part of the tech-way to communicate. They learn MORE about their grandkids thru Facebook and see pics of those kids often because of Facebook. We're talking family not close by. So I won't say never to Facebook. I don't have grandkids yet.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 10:35 AM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
That's me. No plans or desire to be a part of either one. People I want to be in touch with know how/were to find me. The rest? There is a reason why I'm not in touch with them. Don't want to or don't care.
Exactly! That's what I say too!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 10:49 AM  
BunnyHop

I do have an account, but use it mostly to access a private group that formed there because it was cheaper than maintaining forum software someplace else. We've been online friends for years, and I just didn't want to break the connection.

Facebook in general though? Kind of creepy. The assumptions the site makes are sometimes quite baffling.

People really do have legitimate reasons to want to safeguard their privacy. Some people are just inappropriately nosy, others are hurtful, childish or dangerous. Pretending otherwise just isn't a good idea. Human nature is what it is, you know?

Also, I've been tracked down by one of the mean girls I knew in high school, who was unhappy at the very idea that she'd hurt my feelings years ago. (I'd mentioned it to someone else.) Because of Facebook, I got stuck explaining to this narcissistic, insecure, bitchy woman that yes, her bitchy, childish behavior years ago was hurtful, that yes, it did happen (repeatedly), and that her refusal to acknowledge that someone else may have a different view of her behavior than she does is really kind of dumb. (also, going to THAT much trouble to be dismissive of someone else's opinions, after claiming to be so sensitive and thoughtful? Kind of contradictory.)

We're not all blessed with as much self awareness as I think adults really OUGHT to possess, but it gets tiresome to keep explaining the difference between self and other to people who don't want to learn.

Good grief.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 10:59 AM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
I too use a pseudo-name, just to get in on the Facebook deals
I wish I would have thought of this!
Facebook is very creepy place to me. I joined, deactivated my account, then rejoined to view photos of my dogs playing at daycare. My sister and her 3 grown children are into facebook and convinced me to befriend them all because they were trying to reach 100 friends.
I keep getting emails from facebook asking me if I know this strange list of people WTH?!!! It's a cult I tell you!
The privacy settings are so confusing to me, and someone hacked my account and began posting ads all over the place from my account.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 11:09 AM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit44 View Post
I wish I would have thought of this!
Facebook is very creepy place to me. I joined, deactivated my account, then rejoined to view photos of my dogs playing at daycare. My sister and her 3 grown children are into facebook and convinced me to befriend them all because they were trying to reach 100 friends.
I keep getting emails from facebook asking me if I know this strange list of people WTH?!!! It's a cult I tell you!
The privacy settings are so confusing to me, and someone hacked my account and began posting ads all over the place from my account.

ITA! Back when I used my real name in Facebook, one of my friends had her account hacked into. The hacker started messaging me saying they didn't know who else to contact and that they were in this other country and got robbed and needed me to send them $$$! If I didn't have the common sense that I have, and asked them questions that only my friend would know (which the hacker couldn't answer), I could have got suckered in to their scheme! Yes, it is very scary.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 11:19 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlepants View Post
I joined in 2004 Facebook when it was only for people with .edu domains. I liked it for contacting other students to ask about assignments, meeting up to study, etc. I left it in 2009 and never looked back. It just wasn't for me anymore.
I remember well when my college age son was on it back in the day when you had to have the edu domains. I had no idea what it was, but he and his buddies used it for things like planning get togethers, school updates and the like.

I am on it now, but I have my account locked down as tight as I can get it. Nobody tags me without my approval first, nobody can see my friends, no birthdate, no email address, no phone number, etc. I don't post at all... maybe something once a year like an important photo. I "like" things occasionally, but even that is rare.

I cringe when I see so many people over sharing, and "checking in" wherever they go. What are they thinking? I think many people are under the false impression that what they post is seen only by their friends. It's so much more complicated than that. I have a girlfriend who lives alone and checks in everywhere she goes.... airports, restaurants, everywhere. It shocks me that she doesn't realize the danger of doing that.

I guess, having said all that, my main reason for being on it is to see the photos and info that I'm interested in. And since I don't reciprocate, I guess you'd call me a facebook lurker!
Old 01-17-13, 11:20 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
I was on FB briefly a few years ago, but deleted the account. At first it was fun to catch up with old friends, but after awhile it started to feel like a never-ending high school reunion. Not to sound unkind, but I'm just not interested in my old prom date's bunions or what he had for breakfast. I grew up in a small town, so it was hard to friend some people and not others. My last straw was finding out via Facebook that my Mom had collapsed and was rushed to the hospital. She was okay, but the whole episode freaked me out. Now I stick to VF for online socializing.
We had a similar situation here. It was one of those tragic football deaths (away game) and the boy's classmates posted stuff before his mother was notified. Apparently that's how she found out.

My brother has been a teacher for about 30 years. He's very strict about who he allows as "friends", but he still must have about 2000. Our father passed away a few months ago and too many people found out from his page. There were out-of-town friends my mother wanted to notify personally, but they found out before she had a chance. She was pretty upset.

As for me, no, I'm not on FB. Too private, too lazy. I do feel I'm missing out on stuff, but I waste enough time online as it is.

Tags
facebook, old thread alert