Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-13, 02:27 PM  
mommyofjoeyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by herya View Post
I did lost weight through yoga. When I started I lost a stone, and most likely more in terms of fat since it got replaced by muscle. For me it's not only about its exercise aspect, but it also regulates appetite and reduces cravings (my diet is fairly good but I used to like evening snacks) and in general makes you feel good about yourself so you feel like coming back with no stress or strain. I think it's highly effective as an everyday weight management system.
Best results are when I keep a daily intermediate practice with lighter days if I'm feeling the need. This type of yoga is not draining and it does wonders to my energy and appetite. I am looking forward to it every night. I am currently on YogaToday rotation with an hour of yoga every day and since Christmas I definitely leaned out and my usual winter love handles have shrunk back in. Stronger yoga such as UY may be even better in terms of calorie expenditure. I need to take it easy on my shoulder for a while (I have a pinched nerve from my shoulder bag... imagine that) but I am looking forward to more UY soon. It makes you feel so great in your body.
I am finding the same results. For the first week of this year I was doing TA Mat and then started doing Ultimate Yogi. I've never done a rotation of just yoga but I'm really loving the results so far. I didn't have weight I wanted to lose (maybe a few lbs over Christmas but I didn't weigh myself then so I'm not sure) but I just stepped on the scale a few days ago and I'm 3 lbs less than my usual low weight (my weight typically fluctuates within 5lbs). I would also say that my tummy area looks much sleeker which is amazing since this is my problem area (I'm totally a TA abcentric). I've been following the UY plan as written and have also been walking the dog 30-45 min daily. I'm really enjoying the break away from my cardio dvds and also enjoying the stress relief from the yoga and the walking.
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 10:17 AM  
Rhonda

What type of yoga are you doing? Who are you doing? I have always thought about a yoga/walking rotation but figured it wouldn't work and haven't tried it.

I would only be able to do about 45 minutes of yoga as I don't have more time than that.

What would your rotation look like? Yoga everyday, or yoga one day walk the next?

Thanks
Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 10:20 AM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
What type of yoga are you doing? Who are you doing? I have always thought about a yoga/walking rotation but figured it wouldn't work and haven't tried it.

I would only be able to do about 45 minutes of yoga as I don't have more time than that.

What would your rotation look like? Yoga everyday, or yoga one day walk the next?

Thanks
Rhonda
When I did my Leslie/yoga combination last year I was at my absolute slimmest. I went sever pounds beneath my goal weight and was tiny, and I'm 5-8 and not naturally tiny. I did it for several months. I am back to Leslie and yoga now because it works. Sorry, just had to jump in there.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 10:28 AM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
When I did my Leslie/yoga combination last year I was at my absolute slimmest. I went sever pounds beneath my goal weight and was tiny, and I'm 5-8 and not naturally tiny. I did it for several months. I am back to Leslie and yoga now because it works. Sorry, just had to jump in there.
What kind of yoga do you do? Any certain person, variety?
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 10:31 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

About two years ago I lost 10 lbs without even trying gearing down my workouts. I did Classical Stretch, Ellen, and outdoor walking. I've lost all my baby weight and am the leanest I've been since having kiddos.

I am intrigued with Ultimate Yoga and keep looking at it! I'm so not a yoga person, though.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 10:35 AM  
willowey124

Quote:
sunday - what does your typical week look like with leslie/Yoga?

For almost a week I have scaled right back on my workout intensity and have been basing my workouts on ABB (60-70 mins per day, altho today was a rest day as I have been a little under the weather). As of this morning I have dropped 4lbs already!
willowey124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 10:43 AM  
donnamp

Interesting! I just love the simplicity of doing yoga and walking for my "main" exercise. It really is something you can do for the rest of your life, too.

I am curious though - what types of yoga are you doing and for how long, how intense, etc. And, how long are your Leslie walks?

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 11:06 AM  
sunday

You can see in detail here what Leslies and what yoga I do. Mainly the yoga is from My Yoga Online. I am doing a longer Leslie and a shorter yoga - 20-30 minutes tops. If I do a shorter Leslie I will plan to do a a longer yoga, but so far have not really done that. I consider Leslie my "main" workout and the yoga a polisher. They are more gentle yoga practices than not. You can go to MYOL to preview the practices as well. I am on the first page midway down.

This is also exactly what I did last year too, though more with Yoga Today since I just joined MYOL recently.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=188018
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 11:43 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thanks, Deana, and a quick question. It looks from that post like you do Leslie first, then yoga. (Contrary to the popular "strength first, then cardio" maxim, although I realize you're not doing hardcore yoga sessions). Is my perception correct?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 12:00 PM  
mommyofjoeyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
About two years ago I lost 10 lbs without even trying gearing down my workouts. I did Classical Stretch, Ellen, and outdoor walking. I've lost all my baby weight and am the leanest I've been since having kiddos.

I am intrigued with Ultimate Yoga and keep looking at it! I'm so not a yoga person, though.

Jackie
Before starting Ultimate Yogi I was not a yoga person either! For the most part the workouts are pretty physically demanding and fast moving. In the first month there are 2 days a week that are gentle yoga (yin yoga and mountain pose and those two are the ones I find most difficult! It's so hard for me to be still and stay in the moment). I think the first thread on here referred to it as the P90X of yoga and I completely agree. I had been interested in Ultimate Yogi for a while considering everyone on here was raving about it! I finally caved with the holiday sale and am so glad I did.
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abb, aerobic base building, leslie, low intensity, walking, weight loss, yoga