Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-12, 12:16 PM  
caligurl

i don't have as many dvd's as a lot of other VFers do.... i have 3 shelves: top shelf is spinervals and other cycling related dvd's; middle shelf is all cathe; bottom shelf is all others (but not oversized sets).

spinervals are in order (they are all numbered) and with like sets (so fitness 1, 2, 3, etc; competition 1, 2, 3, etc)

cathes are in chronological order of their release

bottom shelf is by instructor with the kettlebell instructors all being to the far right (so KCM, jillian, bob, amy, etc... then after the "normal" workouts i have lauren, AOS, mbody, etc) i do keep amy's and bob's KB workouts with their other workouts....

i don't keep the bottom shelf in any particular order... i put KCM's back wtih her other dvd's, jillian's back with hers.... but i do keep lauren's and the AOS ones in order...

i have 5 notebooks that hold all my breakdown sheets:

1 for spinervals
1 for cathe
1 for kettlebells
1 for beachbody
1 for all others (KCM, amy, jillian, etc)

i keep my oversized sets on the countertop that is below the 4 shelves (we only spaced the shelves to hold regular DVDs. i also have a small row of older, easier, no longer used DVDs that i can't bring myself to get rid of that i started out with.... that sits on top of the cabinets to the right.

i won't use those binders, cuz they scratch the DVDs when you take them in and out... so even my p90x's are in different cases... and anything that comes in a slip/slide in cardboard (i.e. jillian) gets put into either slim cases or the small cd/dvd holders.
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 12:23 PM  
westiemack

I love these kinds of threads, and I'm always hoping I will pick up new tips from them!

For physical organization, I have a large IKEA bookcase that I use. Each instructor has a section of shelf. If a workout holder is too large to fit on the shelf, I use an empty DVD case, and print a nice cover for it. All of my P90X, Turbo Fires, etc. are done that way.

I would love a database system to organize them on the computer (mostly because I love databases, not because it would be helpful ). I loved the one that VFer Rachel designed, and used the trial version, decided to buy it, then realized it wouldn't work on the new Mac laptop I had purchased. Oh well.

For day to day tracking I keep a binder with a log of each workout, date and specifics of using it (including weights used, calories burned, etc) and notes, such as "I should do this one more often!" or "I only did the step premix". This binder also contains the calendars I use to track which workouts I did on a particular day, and how many workouts I've done for the year.

Kathy

Disclosure: I am an Independent Beachbody Coach, but I'm only in it for the discount!
westiemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 12:30 PM  
mel VF

Anybody use Discgear for storage?
mel VF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 12:34 PM  
Pam

My answer to Laura S's question: If the Dvd would fit in more than one category, than I put a sticker on the binder for each category. For something like the strength category and the DVD is only legs, than I write "legs" on my blue sticker. The DVD would get listed in more than one category on my spreadsheet. I have there categories such cardio for less than 30 minutes, lite cardio for days I have little time or am tired. Also organized by equipment on my spreadsheet, so if I want to use my BOSU or stability ball, etc I can call up the workouts I have in those categories.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 12:46 PM  
DebbieRN

Kathy--I adore your Westie!

You guys are so organized! I love my original cases (all but STS Strength--had to go!) The cover pics to me are motivating. Lord help me if there is a fire.

Debbie
DebbieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 01:02 PM  
lucia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel VF View Post
I do - I like these a lot. I have about 12 (Discgear 80) for my fitness videos. I mostly organize alphabetically (by instructor's first names or sometimes systems like P90X).

For figuring out what workouts to use, I have spreadsheets (with Collage-type breakdowns) for workouts. So, I may have many spreadsheet entries for one dvd since there are often more than one workout and/or premix on one dvd. The spreadsheet workouts match the "title" of the dvd I use in the discgears.

The "Collage" breakdowns help so much. I've been recording them for years so I have hundreds of workouts with breakdowns...even of workouts I've traded or don't even have yet.

If anyone wants to have any of these, I can email the excel files. Some of the breakdown info is not accurate...if the info is not on Collage, I time it myself, or more often just guesstimate. My categorizations are just my opinions, too, on how I use the workouts. I try to leave a lot of space to write in what equipment I need (separate sheets are needed for STS and the like ) and I also have space to the left of each workout where I can write in a tickmark each time I do a workout.

I have the workouts divided up into these spreadsheets:
CS = Classical Stretch TV shows
CB CR = Cardio Bosu and Cardio Rebounder
Instructional = instructional segements
CF = Cardio Floor
CI = Cardio Intervals
CK = Cardio Kickbox
CS = Cardio Step
S = Strength
TC = Toning Core
TPB = Toning: Pilates, Barre, Ballet
YOGA = Yoga
YS = Yoga (less strenuous yoga and kundalini) and Stretch

Sorry if this a a thread hijack...I just had minor surgery so am a little out of it and seem to be rambling.

I would like to keep the dvds in their original cases but I just don't have room for that. I still have vhs I use, too...so those take up a lot of shelf space just by themselves.
Old 03-30-12, 01:13 PM  
ckfromca

This thread has motivated me to clean out my gym this weekend. I plan to buy an organizer that has stacked bins for my "stuff" and then transfer my DVDs to a binder. Ahhh...I feel better already!
ckfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 01:14 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Yeah, once upon a time.... It proved to be a fussy pain re labeling, etc. An unnecessary expense & headache. Also, I started losing the ability to read small print, and that made the Discgear even less user-friendly. It's much easier to just place my DVDs in a simple binder, organized according to workout type:

Anna Benson Firms/FitPrimes
Weight training
Kettlebell training
Circuit/bootcamp/interval/metabolic training
Toniques
Leslies / fusion cardios (NIA, Willpower & Grace, etc.)
Athletic step / step & weights
Tae Bo Advanced Lives
Yoga/Stretch/Qigong

I don't usually do many systems, but I've recently acquired and placed Supreme 90 & Weider ST in the back of the binder to keep them together as rotations & separate from the individual workouts.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 01:23 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
I use the discgear 100's for mine. I have catagorized them by workout type (kettlebell, yoga) and instructor (Cathe--she has a lot of dvds!). I use the sheets they provide to keep track of my dvds.
Old 03-30-12, 02:02 PM  
JP44

I bought 14 of these cases. They are identical to what Cathe used for the LIS preorder set. Each case holds 10 dvds. I put all my large sets in these and some leftovers. I use standard 1" x 3ish" inch labels to note instructor or series. Eg. TF, P90x, Tracey Staehle & Jari Love

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...=searchresults

This created HUGE open space on my shelves which I seem to be filling by buying more dvds....Imagine that!

HTH

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large collection, organizing