Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-11, 06:29 PM  
Sara1000

Anyone who ACHIEVED a great body:

after, say, age 35, after being somewhat out of shape - how much time did you spend working out to get there?

And doing what type of workouts?

I know this keeps coming up, and Margaret Richard says she just does her own workouts, but I think there is a difference between someone who has exercised since they were relatively fit and shapely in their early 20's and just has to maintain, and someone who allowed herself to get out of shape, even if she was not overweight.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 06:33 PM  
sunday

I am 46. I started working out 2.5 years ago, fat, out of shape and really awful. Today I have lost 43 pounds and consider myself very slim, shapely and fit. Since changing my mindset I have worked out 6-7 days a week, for at least an hour. On weekends usually 90 minutes or so.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 06:46 PM  
nadir

I am 38, I do mostly Barre, I started 2 years ago. It is a work in progress, my body is far from what it was when I started exercising again. I felt that I had a great body over a year after I started, but month after month I see small changes and improvements. I couldn't be happier :-)
nadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 06:52 PM  
Sara1000

I have to say I have seen more changes since I switched to mainly barre than in all the years of doing traditional strength training, long distance cycling, working out at the gym, etc.

I think the small changes I have seen give me hope, but I wonder what it would take to look like the instructors.

Sunday, what type of exercise have you been doing?

Congratulations to both you and Nadir for your success and thank you for responding.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 07:34 PM  
RedPanda

I agree that losing weight and getting fit after having been overweight and/or unfit is a totally different proposition than maintaining a slim and fit physique.

When I was 44, I weighed 220 pounds at 5'3", was totally unfit and looked it. I'm now 55, going through menopause and weigh around 130 pounds (US size 6) and look pretty buff. I've maintained my weight loss since 2003.

I'm still doing what I've always done - lots of cardio and heavy strength training.

Like Sara, I've seen significant changes since adding in barre - and more recently, kettlebells.

As for the instructors, I think they are genetically blessed with good figures in the first place.
Old 05-14-11, 07:36 PM  
sunday

Hi Sarah,
I have always done the "softer" workouts, and that's what's worked for me: ballet, barre, Pilates, Kundalini, yoga and now belly dance. I don't lift anything heavier than three pounds and really don't do any cardio but my cardio capacity is very good, probably because it occurs naturally in my workouts. I've realized that diet has changed the size of me while working out has changed the shape. I'm very happy with my results!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 07:55 PM  
Lablover2

bumping
Lablover2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 07:57 PM  
jplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
As for the instructors, I think they are genetically blessed with good figures in the first place.
I agree. The aesthetic appeal of their bodies is largely luck of the genetic draw. Other equally fit woman who follow similar training regimens will have bodies that look dramatically different.

At age 30 I went from a BMI of 27 to a BMI of 20, but I did it without exercise (aside from intermittent yoga). My slender but rather sedentary body looked great, but that was just luck. I maintained my weight loss for 5 years without exercise, and I suspect I'd still be maintaining it even if I wasn't excercising now.

Now at age 37 I'm improving my fitness level with a combination of yoga, Pilates, weight lifting, and barre-style workouts. But the changes I'm seeing in my body are subtle compared to the changes that accompanied my earlier weight loss. What motivates me now is how exercise is changing the way I feel and what I am capable of doing.
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 08:06 PM  
2ndgen

I always exercised but was got very heavy for a few years so can say I achieved a great body (I think it is great, anyway) after age 35 from exercise and eating right (can't say the D word on this forum but that is what took weight off, exercise created the body and helped the D).

Type of workout for me varied (and still does). I exercise a lot and daily and never skip a day, just the regular stuff, jog/walk/run, weights, yoga, pilates and all stations in between.

If you look at studies of people who have lost a lot of weight and kept it off for a long time, they exercise a lot on average. It doesn't matter what they do.

Margaret may say she just does her own workouts and guess it is true but her TV programs and DVDs from the earlier years are standard exercise sessions with aerobics and weights (dumbbells). She did not invent this, she was just great at presenting it (love her, btw).

Her later stuff, IMO, is very innovative and I think did create her later physical look. She seemed heavy but fit (and amazing, IMO) during some periods, doing her workouts using bodyweight and balls and things, no real weight.

I guess I think it doesn't really matter what type of exercise one does to get a great body, just that one does exercise.

And for weight loss, if that is an issue, it is about the D word.
2ndgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 08:09 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
If you look at studies of people who have lost a lot of weight and kept it off for a long time, they exercise a lot on average. It doesn't matter what they do.
Yup. Just highlighting that point.

Tags
inspiration, menopause, motivation, perimenopause, results, significant weight loss, success stories, success story, weight loss