Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-10, 11:22 AM  
mj476

I have two open DVD racks - 14 fit on each shelf and there are 6 shelves. I usually organize by instructor but I keep all my yoga DVDs together and all my pilates DVDs together. Of course, not all my DVDs fit on those two racks. I also have a bookshelf that DH made where I put the DVDs I'm currently using. It also stores DVDs I don't use that often on the bottom shelf and the DVDs I'm thinking of trading as well as notes on DVDs, rotations and my pilates bands. I also use it to take notes as I'm doing my workouts. Then comes my TV stand which holds all my Core Rhythms as well as a few others and some of my VHS tapes.

I really don't take inventory as I know pretty much what I have. I have made lists and kept adding to them but they've gotten pretty long. Although I do think about updating it (in case I get robbed!) I've heard before that the best thing to do is take pics of all your stuff and this way you have proof of what you own.

Marcy
Old 11-02-10, 11:37 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Wow, you guys are super duper organized.
howzit sistah - i'm not organized, but after i had that break-in, i started keeping a list.

i actually had a list of just my Firms and Karen Voight workouts, for the purpose of planning rotations.

i like the idea someone mentioned about sending lists of items to the insurance company.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 01:30 PM  
Juli

I would to do a spreadsheet but I'm paranoid about being too anal. I've been accused of over organizing. I keep mine sorted by type - Yoga, Pilates, Walking, Aerobic, etc. Right now I just want to get a rack or shelf big enough to hold all that I've accumulated. I won't even do that though until I go through and sort out the ones I won't use anymore. Plus I know I still have some virgins.

"Que Shiraz Shiraz"
Juli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 02:26 PM  
shelleyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juli View Post
I would to do a spreadsheet but I'm paranoid about being too anal. I've been accused of over organizing. I keep mine sorted by type - Yoga, Pilates, Walking, Aerobic, etc. Right now I just want to get a rack or shelf big enough to hold all that I've accumulated. I won't even do that though until I go through and sort out the ones I won't use anymore. Plus I know I still have some virgins.
So how do you go through and sort out the ones you don't use anymore? Do you just know which ones you don't do very often and get rid of those or do you actually go back and redo them to see if you want to keep them...a lengthy process and may lead to days of non-satifying workouts. That's what I'm facing right now. I'm trying to cut down my collection only keep the ones I really like, but some I have not done for a long time so I can't remember what I think of them, like a bunch of old (not super old) Firms which all blend together. That could take me weeks!
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 02:43 PM  
Juli

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyann View Post
So how do you go through and sort out the ones you don't use anymore? Do you just know which ones you don't do very often and get rid of those or do you actually go back and redo them to see if you want to keep them...a lengthy process and may lead to days of non-satifying workouts.
Some of them I just know and some I'll have to re-do. I think if I just review some of them I'll know if I want to try them out again or not. I think I'll give myself a December 31 deadline to sort it all out. I've only been doing videos since April so it's not like I have 100's to go through - maybe a total of 60.

Maybe I'll make Monday's Virgin Video Day.

"Que Shiraz Shiraz"
Juli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 02:50 PM  
psnave

Wow! That sounds very cool. I had no idea such a gadget existed.

Thanks for explaining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonam View Post
I have a lot of DVDs as well as books and wanted to inventory them all for insurance purposes, so went high tech. I downloaded the Movie Collector and Book Collector from Collectorz.com and bought a scanner.

Now, when I get a new DVD (or book) I can either enter it manually by ISBN or scan it. The program searches the internet and finds the info, including front cover. Sometimes the cover isn't found, but they have a search tool for that, too.

Once the title is in, you can do multiple disks -- useful for Cathe, for example, as well as personal information -- # of stars, seen/not seen, etc...

I LOVE it!
psnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 03:14 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Shelleyann,

When I do a workout for the first time, I will attach a sticky index card to it. I will put the name of the workout at the top (in case they get separated) and then put my impressions of the workout on the card. I will try to do it twice in one week if I liked it. If I don't like it, I will put down why I might not have liked and then try it a week or two later and see if I have the same reaction. If I find I can't do it again, then I just put it to the side. I don't trade often, but I do gift a lot so if I see someone wanting something I didn't care to do twice, I just send it on.

Since I buy a lot of used workouts, it helps to know I actually did a workout, not that it is just opened because it was used. There are some workouts I would have sworn I never used, but then the sticky index card tells me otherwise, for better or worse.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 03:29 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Another VFer who has never done an inventory and then logged my workouts on Excel, etc. The thought overwhelms me. LOL!

I do store the majority of my collection in Rubber Maid storage containers. This keeps them from smelling musty or getting dusty.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 03:55 PM  
DejaDeb

I listed them all on an Excel spreadsheet after reading how to plan a rotation here: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=49734

I had been pretty good about keeping it up, but it's now sadly out of date. And I don't really use it in planning rotations, either, since I don't really do rotations but it's nice to see at a glance what workouts I own.

I think I'll get to work on updating it ...
Old 11-02-10, 05:02 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyann View Post
So do you organize by instructor or exercise type? How do you do both? I have them on shelves and do it by type of exercise....all cardio in one area, all weight training in one area, all yoga in one area and so on. I've thougth about changing it, but think this works easiest.
Top shelf and part of second shelf is by instructor (Cathe, Firm--I count them all as one--Tony, Karen Voight) because I have a lot of their workouts. Next shelf is kickboxing, step (except for those I have under the 'instructors' category).

It works for me!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burglary, inventory, large collection, organizing