Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-02, 08:30 AM  
videogirl

Why doesn't perceived exertion always match heart rate?

I spent most of my workout this morning mulling through this and I didn't come up with an answer!

My treadmill run today seemed very hard, I was going to run 5 miles but had to stop at 4. My heart rate was much lower than my perceived exertion. I would be slogging along thinking I was really pushing it and I'd glance at my hr and see that I was wrong and was actually below my usual cruising speed. My hr was working fine during warmup and cooldown and I've noticed this other times.

Shouldn't perceived exertion match your heart rate? If you feel like it's hard to keep going shouldn't that mean that your body is having a harder time and so your heart rate should match?

Did that make any sense at all? Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? I'm babbling and I will shut up and hope if there is a very simple answer you will be kind
videogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 08:42 AM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

I know what you're talking about...

I know exactly what you are saying. This happens to me too. Sometimes 160 will feel really hard, and sometimes it feels easy! I can't tell you *why* this happens, but I can offer empathy!!!

Kathy

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 08:48 AM  
MickiV
VF Supporter

My .02 cents

I think I'm "perceived exertion-impaired." Honestly how does anyone know the difference between 7 and 8? It doesn't work for me and I've had so much better success using a HRM. Always before I think I've been working too hard.
MickiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 09:05 AM  
ScooterChick
Registered

Correlated, but not exact match

I think the reason trainers recommend getting HRMs is b/c perceived exertion does not always match actual HR. I think it happens in both directions (sometimes actual is HR is higher than you would think, sometimes it's lower). I don't think it's a sign of anything wrong.

Also, make sure you're using a HRM with a chest strap, rather than something that measures pulse (like the HR measurement things built into a treadmill). The pulse measurements can be quite inaccurate.
ScooterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 09:12 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I pondered this same question

yesterday. My heartrate is always higher during my outdoor runs than my runs on the treadmill, yet my treadmill runs seem harder. The same thing is true when I do intensity levels during indoor interval workouts.

I wonder if the boredom factor plays into this. If I could, I would run every single day. For me, there is nothing better than heading out early in the morning and feeling that cool breeze hit your face.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 10:17 AM  
Daphne M

Beats me

Sometimes my perceived exertion is way different than my heart rate. It's like thinking I'm going to ride a pony, but when I get up close, whooaaaa, that pony brays like a donkey.

OK, so that comparison makes absolutely no sense. Maybe I should have tried talking about mules and donkeys? Or ponies and mules? Where was I? Is it Friday yet? Rosebud, is that you?

I tend to trust my perceived exertion more than my HRM. Usually they match up fairly closely. But occasionally they diverge wildly. (Restraining myself from talking about the mule and the donkey again right here.) When that happens, I always trust my perceived exertion. I'm just a little bit Amish I guess -- I trust my instincts more than I trust technology.

Also I've noticed that there are times that my HRM is just plain wrong. Sometimes my chest strap needs tightening and the extra motion causes the transmitter to pick up some artifact. Sometimes I'm picking up someone else's signal.

I don't get too worried about the numbers. It's a guideline, not a regulation. (Some would say that it's a pony, not a mule. )

Somebody please stop me before I start talking about asses.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 11:09 AM  
videogirl

Daphne, If you want to talk about asses I think you should be able to. After all I kindof followed your donkey/pony thingie.

Well, it's good to know it's not just me. I'm going to have to so some research, because I would like to know the scientific explanation, if there is one.

I was so excited about my run today, talking out loud to my DH last night, wondering if I should go for 4 or 5. Went to bed early and then woke up with my eyes wide open at 5 am. So I couldn't get back to sleep and ended up downstairs chatting to DH before he left for work. Did some laundry, cleaned up the kitchen, got ready to run and found I was exhausted. I hate when that happens. But I ran anyway and so maybe my perceived exertion, because I was tired and kind of slaphappy was off. But my body was actually ready to run? So perceived exertion is maybe just all in my head? Man, that doesn't seem to be a very good way to workout does it? No wonder I never could run until I got a heart rate monitor.

Thanks for listening! I'll let you know if I get a chance today to find out anything concrete.
videogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 11:58 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Beats Me (hahah, hope that pun was intended)

I think heart rate can depend on a ton of things. Two things that most people wouldn't think about that make a huge difference to me are the amount of caffiene and whether or not I had licorice tea. I love Stash licorice spice tea, but licorice raises heart rate too. I try to cut the licorice tea off for a week or two every few months.

I go with how I feel. I exercise often enough that a slower day isn't going to hurt me. Plus as my hubby says, every work out can't be a great one.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 12:10 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Re: Beats me

Quote:
Originally posted by Daphne M
Sometimes my perceived exertion is way different than my heart rate. It's like thinking I'm going to ride a pony, but when I get up close, whooaaaa, that pony brays like a donkey.

OK, so that comparison makes absolutely no sense. Maybe I should have tried talking about mules and donkeys? Or ponies and mules? Where was I? Is it Friday yet? Rosebud, is that you?

Somebody please stop me before I start talking about asses.
Well, even considering the fact that every mule's dad is a donkey, I follow your argument. Just don't ask me to explain it.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 12:14 PM  
Lydia L
VF Supporter

Ponies, mules and donkies-- Oh My!

I've read somewhere -- can't remember where( I think it may have been Covert Baily)---- that when we're very tired and try to do an intense workout, it can be difficult to get our heart rate up... our perceived exertion is high as it should be, since we still are working hard-- but our heart rate just doesn't want to get there...

I have noticed that on some days when I'm especially tired my heart rate doesn't correspond to my perceived exertion-- so I just listen to my body and forget the numbers.

On days where I'm well rested.... my heart rate usually does match up to perceived exertion... as a matter of fact I could pretty much predict where my heart rate is before even looking at my watch just by reading my body cues.

I agree with Lynn, caffiene can really throw those numbers, as well as certain medications.

Oh Daphne, thanks for the laugh today.

Tags
heart rate, perceived exertion