Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-09, 10:41 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlita View Post

I've always been extremely flexible, too. And now my hips are paying for it. I also have to be mindful of not hyper-extending my knees during yoga. Thanks to the VFer who pointed that out.
I've done lots of study in this area and that's what I've learned. But in all areas, opinions differ.

If you look through Light on Yoga you can see that even Mr. Iyengar is a hyper-extender. One of my yoga teachers is continually showing us illustrations from Light, but he generally covers Iyengars knees with his thumb.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 02:20 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I got a bit irked about 10 seconds in, when he misidentifies the posterior deltoid as the anterior deltoid!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 02:21 PM  
kali1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie kat View Post
yikes!!! did you guys see the picture of the dvd cover? look at his leg!
it would be great doing this dvd would get me that flexible.
Can you say PAIN???!!
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 03:15 PM  
Yvette69

Great find, Spotted Zebra and many thanks for taking the time and money to review this for us, in paris. As a former ballet dancer and gymnast, I can't tell you how jealous I was of double jointed people. It is appalling that you were belittled for your amazing range of movement - it's not contortionism or unnatural in any sense. One of the wonders of the human race is that we are all built differently.

I, for one, love seeing a strong, incredibly flexible human body and the video of Craig dancing blew my mind. In the instructional clip, I wouldn't say that he's glorifying anything, just trying to teach people to stretch well and be flexible. I am really looking forward to your review of this DVD, in paris.
Yvette69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 03:20 PM  
c4ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted_zebra View Post
I didn't get the impression he is presenting hyper-extension as an ideal, either.

I decided to go ahead and order (from the website with the clips since I'm not a big fan of Amazon.com these days). Hopefully I'll get mine within 10 days or so too. If I sell the Stacey Nemour DVD online I can justify the order.
Hi Spotted Zebra.
Just wondering why you're selling the Stacey Nemour DVD? I recently ordered it....because I'm a VIDIOT!
Coleen
c4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 10:27 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4ward View Post
Hi Spotted Zebra.
Just wondering why you're selling the Stacey Nemour DVD? I recently ordered it....because I'm a VIDIOT!
Coleen
Hi Coleen, by now you might already have had a chance to see Stacey Nemour's DVD(?). I wanted to see Craig Hempsted's DVD to compare the two in my own mind and I had a chance to preview it tonight. I'm excited by what I saw on Reach and can hardly wait to try it tomorrow morning!! I haven't encountered Craig's level of stretching expertise on a DVD before now, especially with the benefits of his background experience. But back to Stacey's DVD. Quite simply it didn't go as far as I would have liked. For many exercisers it would probably be far enough and it's not a bad program. But I wanted more. Craig Hempsted's DVD can be utilized by various levels, from basic to very advanced (eg. gymnast or dancer) and it's clear he has something of value to offer. For me it's quite fascinating, unique, and in a league of its own. But like any DVD discussed at VF it certainly won't be embraced by everyone (and perhaps not even by too many) so I'm not trying to twist anyone's arm, I'm just explaining why of the two I prefer Craig's Reach program. I'm not as advanced as many of his students but I like that over time I won't outgrow a program like Reach. I hope you like Stacey's DVD.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 03:24 AM  
RedPanda

Just chiming in on Stacey Nemour's DVD...

I'd say my flexibility was in line with most avid female exercisers, and way above the "average" 50-something woman. To give you a point of reference, I have recently been able to reach down with straight legs and tuck half of my hands under my feet.

I found Stacey's DVD very stretchy. The first time I did it was just after BodyBalance (mainly yoga with a bit of lower body stretching) and found it stretched me a lot. The second time, I tried warming up with some squats and lunges, and I just couldn't do it.

I'm in awe of anyone who finds Stacey's DVD too easy and I know that there's no way my body could ever attain the level of flexibility demonstrated in Reach.
Old 10-25-09, 05:08 PM  
spotted zebra

Unless you've been doing some serious dance, gymnastics or acrobatics over the years, chances are there are parts of Reach (including some of what's seen on the clip) you wouldn't attempt to do before opening up your flexibility (or perhaps ever). Each part has a different focus and some parts are clearly for people who can already do the splits. Other parts are designed to take you there or just a lot closer than you might have otherwise thought possible. When I took ballet classes and workshops my dance instructors often had an uncanny understanding of my body, and were able to help me improve my flexibility faster and more dramatically than other teachers. For instance regular fitness instructors with an athletic background and yogis never got me anywhere near the same results. Now when I do yoga I prefer relatively easy yoga for relaxation. To open up my flexibility and fast, I prefer to go to someone with a ballet background. That's just my preference. Craig puts an interesting spin on things but the point is to listen to your own body and not try to make it look like his. I wouldn't recommend this DVD for the absolute beginner - the market is filled with plenty of other DVDs for that. For someone who has taken ballet or can appreciate what ballet stretches can offer this is a great DVD to grow with.

As on Stacey's DVD Craig goes at a good pace, if a bit fast, as he himself admits. Like Stacey he encourages you to spend more time on the stretches on your own. He'll often cover just the left or right side which is the only thing about the program I'd change. So until you get to the point where you no longer need to refer to the DVD you'll have to pause or rewind the player to cover the other half of your body. I can live with that. (I remind myself I'm saving a lot of money by not taking a ballet intensive workshop!)

Here are the chapters on Reach. They get progressively harder (with the exception of ballet basics) so it's up to you to recognize at what point you need to stop. For some that might be at the halfway point or sooner (I go as far as 9), but it'll differ from person to person. I'm guessing in a month or two at most I'll probably add in 10.

1 - Introduction
2 - Everyday Stretches
(simple things you can do to get more comfortable while sitting in an airplane or at your desk)
3 - Basic Warm Up
(for all levels to oxygenate the muscles - this is the routine Craig uses to warm up students before teaching jazz classes)
4 - Isolations
(pretty common in dance class)
5 - The Lunge
(not your regular lunge. This sequence of moves is designed to rapidly increase your flexibility and help you work towards the splits position. Craig says in a month's time he's gotten students from 0 to 60 doing this one routine alone)
6 - Seated Stretches
7 - Stretches on Your Back
(for the moderate to advanced student)
8 - Second Position
(referring to ballet)
9 - Ballet Basics
10 - Splits and Extensions
(splits are not the goal but the starting point in these stretches - for people who can do them)
11 - Extreme Stretches
12 - Conclusion
Old 10-25-09, 08:59 PM  
lorajc

I see Reach, but where is Stacey Neumeyer's DVD? that everyone is referring to?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 09:18 PM  
spotted zebra

It was mentioned in another thread.
http://www.amazon.com/STACEY-NEMOURs...6523460&sr=1-1

Tags
old thread alert