Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-09, 09:25 AM  
lorajc

Oh My Lord - Now I realize I really AM that whack job that I thought I was!! I seriously have ISSUES.

I can't believe the minimal collections everyone has. I haven't counted mine since my first 2 DVD holders were purchased (and I have tons more).

In my defense, I'm a packrat by nature. Nuff said!

By the way - do I get a prize if I have the most in my video collection? LOL.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 09:31 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I'm feeling the need to embark on a purge, so my collection now and my collection-to-be might be different; it's an ever-evolving system. I think I need to have two categories: permanent and temporary. My permanents are the things I always keep and ALWAYS go back to, including old Cathe cardio (Classics and Hits), old CIAs, most all Christi hi-lo, Leslies, circuits like Step Reebok Circuit Challenge, Cardio and Weights, and Step It Strong, along with a few endurance strengths like Power Hour, MIS, etc.

Then the temporaries would include so MANY rotations and systems I've tried and liked well enough, such as CLX, Tracey Mallett's 6-minute workouts, etc. The temporaries are good, but don't have the staying power of the permanents. Just like in any medium, there are classics and there are fads.

I'm doing a barre rotation right now and am coming to the conclusion that P57 and Bar Method are permanents; Pure Barres? --probably fad. I am using them in the rotation but don't like them well enough to keep them. We'll see.

Things either stand the test of time or they don't. I'm whatever the OPPOSITE of a pack rat is, so while I treasure my classic workouts, I don't tolerate a lot of "fluff" in the collection. That said, I have well over 100 because of the workouts that I SHOULD like and I keep TRYING to like and DON'T like but can't quite put them in the trade box yet because there MUST e something WRONG with me if I don't like them! Things like Firm vol 1, and maybe the Pure Barres at this point....
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 09:35 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I stopped counting around 700 and that was a very long time ago.

My favorites, and unfortunately the most expensive, are my Les Mills workouts. Collecting them is an addiction in itself.

The majority of my collection is stored in Tupperware containers. Tupperware sells storage containers for DVDs/CDs, which is great, and for my VHS tapes, I use their larger containers. We have an open space under our stairwell, and I store a majority of them there. I have all of my old VHS tapes stored out in our rec/gym room. I also have some shelved in our bookcases, and the DVDs that I am currently using are stored next to my TV.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 09:36 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I am really loving this thread, and I particularly enjoy looking at pix of everyone's collection. Since I currently have almost 300 workout DVDs, reading what other VFs have, makes me feel....normal, I guess...it's almost like coming out of the closet. On occassion when the subject comes up and I mention the size of my workout collection to people I know, they are shocked and think I'm crazy. Here, I feel normal and totally understood! Thanks for a great thread.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 09:39 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Oh my gosh, Debbie, you STOPPED counting at 700 ????? Good for you! OK, now I don't feel weird anymore and clearly have some shopping to do! Yea!!
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 09:49 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I have 500 plus dvds (haven't counted recently) not counting my entire itrain collection which I have burned onto cds. I got rid of my VHS years ago.

By far my most used over time-Firm Volume Four, Tamilee's stretching video, Yoga Now PM Destresser with Rodney Yee.
My current most used: Yoga for Stress Relief, Leslie's Five Day Slim Down.

I'm not sure that I know how to post a photo.
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 09:51 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Oh, I forgot to mention how they are organized. I reorganize my dvds all the time as a source of motivation, sometimes by instructor, sometimes by category (cardio, strength, etc.) and currently alphabetically by title just as a way to work my way through them and mix things up.
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 09:58 AM  
alisoncooks

I am SO emailing DH a link to this thread! And he had the nerve to scoff when I hit 20!!!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 10:45 AM  
acescholar

Please don't make me count! I'm guessing I'm a little higher than 300 but much lower than 700!!

I have one smallish bookshelf (my "A list" shelf) that holds all my most often used dvds. ALL my Cathe's (top shelves of my A case!!), some of my Tae Bo, P90X+, Powerstrikes, Michael O, CLX folder, and a few barre (SqS and CB). Under the bottom shelf I have a box of Turbo Kick dvds.

I then have three other smallish bookshelves holding those lower on my use list. Some of my dvds travel back and forth. For instance, Amy Bento dvds are on my "B list" shelf -- but I use her KBX Surge and Abs often so they often get put on my "A list" shelf. When I'm in a Plyo X mood, the P90X wallet visits A shelf as well (even though I rarely use the strength workouts).

Insanity is homeless now, shuffled from chair to step top to shelf top, since I can't find a good place to put the dang monster holder!

And, I must confess, I have a stack of dvds in a corner either on my trade list or under consideration of being on my trade list.

Okay, so now I'm feeling I should dare myself to count....
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 11:35 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

You guys are my heroes!!!!!!
And here I get nervous when the count starts going up. From the look of things here, I'm right about in the middle of the crowd.

How many videos do you own?
Right now I have 299 vhs/dvd/mp3/audio workouts. This does not include about a dozen I have up for trade or pending trade. I count each individual workout, like each Meso for STS, each dvd for Insanity, etc. I also keep a spreadsheet/log so I can keep track of which workouts I have, which ones I do more often, things like that. Sorry I do not have a picture.

Which ones are your favorites?
MANY! I actually mark my dvd's in my log as FAVS, Good, etc. I have lots of favorites: Eoin Finn, Cathe, Shaun T, Tae Bo, Chalene and more.

Are they arranged any particular way?
I have all my strength workouts in a section, all my barre and Pilates workouts together, ab/core workouts together, cardio and circuit together, kickboxing together, Yoga together and Kundalini. I also have a small area for my audio/cd workouts too. All on a small table with 4 shelves and they're crammed full!

What videos would make your collection complete?
I don't think my collection will ever be totally complete. Every time there is a new release there is that potential for adding more. I don't stress so much anymore thinking that I have way too many workouts that I could possibly do - I just log them in and do get to them when I can.

Variety IS the spice of life - exercise life that is!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large collection