Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-08, 11:35 AM  
cmarsh4

Why do I sweat more in 30 minutes cycling than running for 1 hour

This has made me curious. I do alot of Itread and cardio coach workouts. I run on my rebounder and have recently took up cycling. I have a pro-form exercise bike(not a spinner) but I have noticed that I sweat a lot more doing 30 minutes on the bike than 1 hour on the rebounder and I am wondering why. Neither has any impact. Dont get me wrong, I can really work up a sweat doing my running and be extremely tired and feel like I got a great workout after but I can only do about 1/2 hour on the bike untill I am totally drained. I really love doing the itri's and the tag team's that incorporate both for a great workout. Do you think this is because I am incoporating both leg strength and cardio on the bike? Just curious.

Chris
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 12:50 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

It's the SAID principle (Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands). If you do one type of exercise regularly, your body adapts to use the least amount of energy, which is good if you're trying to win athletic contests but bad if trying to burn the most fat or build the most muscle.

I too have more trouble with interval cycling than interval running. It isn't so much aerobic, as it is lactic acid "burn" in my legs that kills me after only a couple of intervals.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 01:18 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Yeah, you'll get used to the other soon enough. I know a guy who has hiked the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail several times . These take months of all-day hiking, on mostly flat surfaces. You should see his leg muscles. Yet, when he visits us, just walking up the three flights of stairs to my place will leave him hunched over and wheezing. It's all in what you're used to!
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 02:45 PM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B
It's the SAID principle (Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands). If you do one type of exercise regularly, your body adapts to use the least amount of energy, which is good if you're trying to win athletic contests but bad if trying to burn the most fat or build the most muscle.
Ah cool thanks Sue, I've never heard that before.

I totally agree with it. One thing I've noticed is that the easiest way to make any workout harder is to just not do it for a while. Your body will "forget" how to do it efficiently and you'll expend more energy doing it at the same intensity as you had before.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 03:28 PM  
Alan

In this case I think it's for the simple fact that cycling on an exercise bike using resistance is just plain tougher than running on a rebounder. If you dialed down the resistance on the bike I'm sure running on the rebounder would end up being tougher.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 03:29 PM  
cmarsh4

Thanks guys. Your replies make good sense. I wasnt thinking of it being different because it is both cardio but it is like lifting heavy and then going to endurance workouts and having a hard time keeping up. Thanks again for replies.

Chris
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stationary bike, sweat, sweating