Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-17, 10:39 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Interesting thread! I actually have the opposite problem, which is getting my HR into the zone! I don't recall the exact numbers, but I calculated mine according to the 2-minute step test, and my range is something like 114-142 (I'm 48, if that helps). I think mine is affected by my blood pressure, which tends to run low. Years ago, when I was taking a beta blocker for migraines and it lowered my low BP even more, I could not get my HR up AT ALL!

Jeannine, you said that the more fit you are, the more effort it takes to get your HR up--so can I believe that I'm really, really fit? It does seem like it's been harder to get my HR up over time (i.e., as I've become a more experienced exerciser).
i haven't worn my Polar HRM in a while to measure my HR during exercise. in fact, the watch broke recently. i have a new FitBit Charge 2 that i'm supposed to use but haven't done so yet.

i wrote down my ranges for a number of my workouts - i keep these stats on a large postit inside of the cases. i'll have to dig out a few. i seem to recall it was around what your range is, Beth.

i have the same experience - it takes a lot for me to get into the upper end of the zone, and i have to be sufficiently warmed up. for example, i'll need to be working out for around 30 min before i can attempt to get to that upper end.

however, if i were doing ABB, staying in the lower end of the range can be hard for me. i may need to do another field test to check my ranges. Beth, you COULD be very conditioned and may need to re-assess your ranges.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-17, 04:27 PM  
TinaT

So this morning I did Firm Upper Body Sculpt Parts. I was able to stay in the zone, no problem the entire time. Never peaked over 144. I was surprised my HR was on the high end of my range, but hey, just that much more burning going on.

This whole thing also tells me I don't have to try so hard to get a good burn going, ... just steady with good form.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 04:02 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I was just reading up on this last week. I had an old Motoactv watch that recorded minimum and maximum HR and calculated zones based on that. I switched to a Garmin a year ago and entered everything manually. I can't find a way to see min and max recorded by the watch so I was trying to figure out how to determine those. Min is probably easy--wear a strap and the watch and look at it first thing in the morning.

For maximum, I read a couple of articles that had a simple tests where you run as fast as possible for three minutes, take a break, run another 3 minutes and look at the number just before you stop. I was thinking of trying that.

That old formula is ridiculously general. 220-age would put me at 177. My max is probably around 190. The Motoactv recorded 200, but I think my strap was having issues at the time! I did a 5K earlier this month where I really pushed myself and the highest HR recorded during that was 182.

I realize I'm rambling...mostly thinking aloud. I wonder if knowing max HR makes you more or less likely to push yourself?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 04:12 PM  
TinaT

Wink You're not rambling...

Pratima, you're not rambling... I'm trying to figure it all out as well.

When it comes to numbers with my HR, I try to stay on the conservative side. I know Jeanne mentioned I might be burning more calories than I realize. But I'm ok with that. My zone is 111-144 according to all the methods, etc. I usually push to 151 or so. If at the end it says I only burned 200 for 35 mins, I'm good with that. I fear being overly confident with the numbers... especially when I get to have a greater intake due to my workouts. Keeping myself in this zone, so far is working.

I will measure and weigh myself again on the 9th of April. Hopefully I will see numbers in a way I haven't for years.
Old 03-20-17, 04:18 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
According to all the formulas and calculations, mine should be 168. So working out should only be appx 85% of that.
Those formulas are are just estimates. Your max HR can vary from them by a lot. You need to take perceived exertion into account.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 04:21 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Tina, well there's a whole other can of worms. My watch uses actual HR to calculate calories, so I *think* it's accurate. However, cardio machines (e.g. spin bike) usually give me quite a different number even if I put in my weight and age. I guess they can't tell how hard you're working though.

I took a class for a while where participants wore HR straps and the numbers were up on a wall. I guess they used that 220-age calculation because I was always in the red zone even if I was barely breathing hard!

If it were free, I'd totally sign up for one of those testing experiences where they calculate VO2 max and all that. I like data.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 04:26 PM  
TinaT

I use the HR strap as well. I posted this thread to see if I was even in the ball park. I think I am. Even if I'm able to push a bit more, I'm good knowing I'm burning something... which this time last year was a big fat zero!

I'm also relieved to know I'm not the only one looking for a more accurate calculation. Until then, I'll depend on my Polar HR Monitor w/strap and be good with what it tells me.

ETA: I also use the My Fitness Pal app to journal my workouts and intake. It really does help me to see daily what I'm doing and not doing. The combination keeps me from guessing so much.

Tags
heart rate, heart rate monitor, hrm, sally edwards