Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-17, 11:04 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I remember getting straight-up angry when I did the practice the first time, yelling at the TV - "thanks, Paul, that would have been nice to know seven minutes ago!" But clearly I have anger issues
Lol....

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-17, 10:08 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
henry, do you practice yoga?
At the moment, not as much as I've done before or as much as I'd like. I started this thread in part because I've heard a little about instruction that accounts for such bodily differences. I may be looking for such instruction sometime.

At the least, it's more intuitively appealing to me than what we might call instruction that treats all bodies as if they were the same. (In particular, my body has relatively unusual proportions: for my height, I have a longer torso and shorter limbs. Shopping for pants and clothes with long sleeves can be interesting. )
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-17, 10:42 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I found the practices were good overall, save for that. I mostly got rid of them after realizing that, as someone with ligament laxity, it is a terrible idea for me to be doing Yin Yoga, since the whole point of Yin Yoga is stretching out connective tissues, and mine are already too loose. So no Yin Yoga for me.

I had never heard of ligament laxity. I checked it out and I can do the thumb and pinky test and can touch the floor with straight legs, but I don't know that my elbows of knees would pass the test.

The reason I'm curious is because I've never been able to do yin yoga. While others will go on about how great they feel and how well they sleep after a practice, I'm the opposite. It just causes me to hurt so much I can't sleep at all. I hated every yin practice I ever tried. Could this be why? I always thought I was just inflexible.

Tags
anatomy, grilley, paul grilley, yoga