Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-16, 10:42 AM  
cfwb

I like Debra Mazda's Shapely Girl workouts. Jessica Smith's 15 minute walking workouts are enjoyable, too.

I also find that giving myself permission to do just 10-15 minutes of ANY workout I find enjoyable is a great way to get myself to actually do something. Then I can work up to 20-30 minutes, etc. I do as much as I can of a Firm workout, for example, and promise myself I won't beat myself up for not doing 45 minutes.

I like circuit workouts best - that gives me time to catch my breath after cardio segments, and doesn't tend to leave me too sore to move the next day. (I have used the soreness as an excuse not to work out that day - take away the excuse!)

I need to take my own advice.
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 10:45 AM  
Sunshine

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendria View Post
I am overweight/plus sized. like 250 pounds. I NEED to lose weight. But most exercises, are just too much for me, Most are not a TRUE beginners workout at all.

Fitness Blender will have me burned out for days or it hurts various body joints of mine. le sigh.

any suggestions for types of exercises to try/stick to?
If I may, I have not been in your position, but my mother was.

At the beginning, she walked on her treadmill, at first 10 minutes at a time once a day, then twice a day. At 1.6 mph
Later she walked 15 minutes a day then progressed to 20 then 30.
She started at 83 years old,

She is now 89 yrs old she gets up, and in her pajamas and sneakers gets on the treadmill and walks 30 minutes a day ,,,every day! And now at a whole 2.0 mph!

She has lost close to 50 lbs.

She says that the days she doesn't walk she feels achy and can't move well.

She told my brother that she will not visit his family for the weekends until he gets her a treadmill.

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 12:48 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Couple suggestions

Youtube has tons of choices- and I'd suggest finding several shorter workouts you like and have them in a list to choose from. Choose a variety and don't forget to put in some seated workouts for days you are too sore or can't face anything else, or even as your main focus. The other thing you can do is do as much walking workout as you can and finish it up in the chair. Seated toning and weights is good too.

I've been in aqua classes at a chain fitness center too. There are a number of people in there who have increased their mobility and decreases their aches and pains- which helps outside of the pool. The classes I go to aren't easy and not alway modifiable, so you have to try several instructors. I've managed to jar my bad knee twice now, mainly because there is some impact and I'm not as careful. In my classes, there are people of all sizes and fitness levels, I'm sure there will be people smaller and much larger too. For me, I love the water, so that helps me enjoy these classes.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 05:29 PM  
ellenalesa

Thank you!

You've given me a lot of great suggestions. Thanks!
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-16, 01:11 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Jessica Smith is wonderful, as is Leslie.

Just remember - do what you can. 10 minutes is better than nothing. It's okay to not be able to finish. Just try to do a little more the next time. Just moving is important.

You have this...
^ This!

When I read your post, I immediately thought of Leslie. I've heard so many impressive weight loss stories from walkers who've used Leslie's DVDs.
Here's the link to some: http://www.walkathome.com/success-story/

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-16, 03:42 PM  
lurkerfriend

All the recommendations suggested are great in my opinion. Personally I love Leslie Sansone and Jessica Smith and I know you can't go wrong with either one.

Have you tried the True Beginner program on Daily Burn? I used this when i was restarting. At first it was a little hard as i was very out of shape. But the pace is slow and the instructor encourages you to take it easy and move to your own pace. It worked wonders with me. It got me ready to take the next step.

Just my two cents. I really hope that no matter what you choose that you'll continue on your journey. We'll be here to cheer you on! :-)
lurkerfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 05:47 AM  
spotted zebra

Just wanted to add Mirabai Holland to the mix. I love the DVDs I have by her. She also has an Ease In program for absolute beginners with 6 easy workouts ranging from 5 minutes to 30 minutes (+ exercise band) so you can work up gradually day by day.

The Moving Free Ease-in Videos are:

• 5 minute Warm-up
•10 minute Warm-up & Cool Down (ease into Cardio)
•15 minute Easy Cardio Exercise
•20 minute Easy Moderate Cardio Exercise
•25 minute Interval Training (Easy Moderate Cardio and Easy Strength Exercises )
•30 minute Interval Training (Easy Moderate Cardio & Easy Moderate Strength Exercises)

You can see a video clip here:

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Mir...-Eas-p/607.htm

Instructors like Mirabai (who used to have a weight problem and didn't take to exercise initially) seem to be particularly understanding and kind. Many instructors are natural athletes who can't relate as much to the average real person's struggles. Mirabai has a calming and relaxing presence and a nice, lower voice, whereas someone like Leslie Sansone is more wired, talkative, and higher pitched (shrill). Depending on your own personal preferences there's someone for everyone.

Mirabai has more DVDs with video clips at this website. I especially like her Fabulous Forever Easy Cardio program. It's a fun one to do.

http://www.mirabaiholland.com/categories?sort=priceasc
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 08:33 AM  
fishywaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendria View Post
I am overweight/plus sized. like 250 pounds. I NEED to lose weight. But most exercises, are just too much for me, Most are not a TRUE beginners workout at all.

Fitness Blender will have me burned out for days or it hurts various body joints of mine. le sigh.

any suggestions for types of exercises to try/stick to?
Hi calendria,

I highly recommend Leslie Sansone and when you get stronger you can add on Jessica Smith workouts. Both have youtube channels you can try the workouts out. Also keep in mind just general walking around your home, outdoors and/or treadmill is a great start. Start in between 5 or 10 mins at a time. Leslie has a many great dvds. There is one dvd called Leslie Sansone: Mix & Match Walk Blasters and this dvds have 10 different walk about 10 mins at a time. Here is a link for it: http://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sansone...880ZA667X3D5X3.

Leslie has a youtube channel also you can try some of her walks also:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl...z2Zj-34bMJFPbg.

Also Jessica Smith's Youtube channel has loads of workouts including walks also:https://www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv. Jessica has many different levels of workouts on there.

I would start small and build up as you get stronger. Maybe do small generally walks outdoors or around the house and maybe every other day do a Leslie walks. It's always up to you. Also remember you don't have to go the pace like many do just build it up. So slow. Take your time. If you find a dvd that has jumping you don't have to do that you just walk in place as you feel it is ok with your body. Listen to your body as you get stronger. Rome was not built in one day.

Just as a side note the only trainers I buy from now is Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith and Jillian Michaels. My to go "working out aka cardio aka exercises" has been walking. I have always been a walker my entire life. Even when I was a kid I walked all over the place and still do. Plus it's free and if you are living in area with spring or fall coming it's a great time of the year to get out of the house and get some Vitamin D from natural sunshine (with sunscreen of course). You cannot beat FREE! Also get a friend to go with you and if you have a dog it's great exercise for them also.

Also look into swimming and water related exercises. All of them are good on the joints and such.

Hugs!!!!!
fishywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 09:15 AM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Couple suggestions

Youtube has tons of choices- and I'd suggest finding several shorter workouts you like and have them in a list to choose from. Choose a variety and don't forget to put in some seated workouts for days you are too sore or can't face anything else, or even as your main focus. The other thing you can do is do as much walking workout as you can and finish it up in the chair. Seated toning and weights is good too.

I've been in aqua classes at a chain fitness center too. There are a number of people in there who have increased their mobility and decreases their aches and pains- which helps outside of the pool. The classes I go to aren't easy and not alway modifiable, so you have to try several instructors. I've managed to jar my bad knee twice now, mainly because there is some impact and I'm not as careful. In my classes, there are people of all sizes and fitness levels, I'm sure there will be people smaller and much larger too. For me, I love the water, so that helps me enjoy these classes.
er

I agree with Lynn. I haven't been in your situation but I did have three surgeries in three years. Any exercise left me winded and sore. I found short, like 5 - 10 minutes was good. Chair exercises helped a lot. Old fashioned walking at any speed and any thing you can do in a pool. Just get in a pool and walk back and forth across the shallow end. With the support and resistance of the water you with both feel supported and build strength in your legs.

Good luck on your journey into fitness. You'll find support and help here.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner workouts, beginners, mirabai holland, national institute aging