Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-16, 01:40 PM  
eeyore

Walking Faster?

I'd like some suggestions for improving my walking speed. It seems that no matter how hard I try, I can't seem make any progress. I'm not sure what my pace is now, but 4.5 on a treadmill is real work for me. I can almost "run" faster and that's not saying much. Lol
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 01:56 PM  
Chomper

I am curious about this too. It seems like there's a point of walking speed where the only way I can get faster is to do the speed/race walking form that is frankly embarrassing in public. And if I'm walking alone, I like to be visible to people because I feel safer. I know the answer for me is to stop caring what people think. If you aren't familiar with race walking, check some Olympic footage out on YouTube.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 02:21 PM  
dbclark44

Music. Music. Music.

I take my favorite dance upbeat songs and make a Work Out Playlist. You can name it whatever you want, but I find myself speeding up or slowing down depending on the beat of the music. I can't believe how I'm increasing my pace listening to my favorite upbeat motivating tunes. I started at 2.5 on the treadmill and now 2.8 feels slow to me. And walking outside is the same way. Depending on how you mix it, your playlist can almost be like a HIIT workout where you speed up to the beat of the music and change pace depending on the next song. I love walking this way. I use the treadmill and walk outside listening to music.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 02:25 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

pump your arms faster.

like magic.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 03:03 PM  
gladgirl

Candace Grasso (of whom I learned about through Cardio Coach v.6) has old walking workout audios. They helped my endurance and speed almost immediately. (I used them every other day)
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 03:59 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
Candace Grasso (of whom I learned about through Cardio Coach v.6) has old walking workout audios. They helped my endurance and speed almost immediately. (I used them every other day)
Thanks for this recommendation! Her audios are available on Google Play. I'm going to try them.
Old 03-03-16, 04:12 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
Thanks for this recommendation! Her audios are available on Google Play. I'm going to try them.
Old 03-03-16, 05:40 PM  
AnMrsDe

My usual pace outside is 4.4 or 4.6 mph on a good day (by the end of the summer...every spring I have to work back up to that pace! Even the treadmill didn't cut it this winter for me, and I have to work back up again, as I feel it's much harder outside than on the TM). I'm definitely not a race walker but not a slacker either.

Music is an absolute must for me and swinging my arms helps to pick up the pace. It's also a must to wear my HRM to assure my HR is up there in the fat burning zone and record my calories burned each walk. Also, I take my phone to use my Map My Walk app to record my walks trying to increase my time and distance.

On a side note, if you're familiar with Karen Voight's Pilates Core Power, she includes some very helpful tips for speed walking on that dvd. For example, she talks about how important your posture is while swinging your arms, as well as striking the pavement with heel, ball, toe succession. The dvd shows her walking pace as very similar to my walking pace on my walks!

I hope to get "addicted" again to walking this summer. I sort of got burned out on walking last summer which was a disappointment, as I love to walk outside!!!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 06:13 PM  
atticus
VF Supporter

This website has some helpful hints for speeding up as well as other information about walking for fitness and racing: http://acewalker.com/ I have taken a few lessons from the woman who writes the articles and when I focus on the tips she taught me I can really pick up my pace. Hope that helps!

Tags
walking, walking faster, walking speed