Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-15, 04:32 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg View Post
ok thanks! walked 1 hour this morning and weight 150.... honestly I didn't feel my heart rate going up that much.... I walked at fast pace but I was also walking with a friend so we were talking the whole time.
This is me too. I can walk a quick pace with my dogs and talk to my mom on the phone at the same time and never feel breathless at all.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 04:49 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
Lower body as well as squats, lunges, barre, etc.
Not as well as doing both together. Most important, squats, lunges, and other lower body work seems to help me walk more efficiently. I know my gait and ability to handle hills, etc, is compromised when I *only* walk.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 07:41 PM  
pfhanna

I think where you walk is important as well. I live in a hilly part of PA and walk my dog up and down hills a lot. It gets my heart rate up and does very well at shaping and toning since while walking up hill I sometimes do my walking lunges. I feel lucky because I love to walk
Old 11-16-15, 08:22 PM  
rosepetals

I agree walking can shape your body as well. I used to be solid, hard, toned, firmed up. It took walking 8 or more hours a day at a brisk pace carrying a 50 or more pound of mail.

At home workouts and walking don't really change how I look. It takes quite a change to affect how the muscles look.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 09:33 PM  
dakko

I think it depends a lot on your stride too.

As a kid, I would walk with a very long & brisk stride so that I could keep up with my father without running (he's 6'2"). It became my norm... well, until having little ones slowed me down.

I love walking videos but, in terms of toning my hips and rear, they don't compare with a brisk, long-strided walk outside. Bonus points for hills.

Valerie
dakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 09:36 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyMommy View Post
I tend to agree with Cheryl. A while back I decided to stop strength training for a while and just walk, mainly to give my joints a rest. I lost a ton of muscle definition, shape and strength. The only part of my lower body that maintained definition was my calves from walking on an incline. My butt completely flattened out and my thighs just felt flabby to me.

I guess it would depend on your starting point. If you are pretty out of shape and begin with walking, then it might be enough to help shape your lower body. But I think if you have a good amount of shape and definition to start with that walking alone is not enough to maintain it. It can absolutely help to slim your lower body, but does not give much definition and shape.
I agree with this about losing muscle definition. Your calf muscles stayed and like you said the incline of waking would do that. I know when I did a lot of step aerobics my calves were quit built up. I just think we can reshape our body with weights or as I do with body weight exercises. I like to keep my glutes high, tight and round and that's only happening with intense lower body work.

Cheryl
Old 11-17-15, 11:25 AM  
Sara1000

If you put on muscle VERY easily walking might be enough, especially hill walking.

People like me who don't build muscle easily definitely need additional exercises.

For me, walking is for heart health.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-15, 12:07 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
If you put on muscle VERY easily walking might be enough, especially hill walking.

People like me who don't build muscle easily definitely need additional exercises.

For me, walking is for heart health.
I fairly recently had an (old-school) aerobics teacher in a live class who taught really retro kickbox aerobics moves and mountain climbers.

Now, I can only do excuses for those moves to the untrained and/or over-critical eye (in my current condition) - on level workout area, of course. And, even with the modified range of motion executed, they work terrifically! Hills stopped working and of course, I don't use apparatus such as step anymore. Because step caused heel spur, plantar fasciitis; and, later on, walking with dragging heavy loads (level ground) compounded the problem.

Hills are just to get me from point A to point B. But I bet - as with heart rate, etc. - if I were capable of doing them fast enough (usually it's a matter of dragging shopping loads, balance issues, joint and orthopedic issues, circulatory issues, etc. that keep me slow) - I would extremely slowly acquire leg muscle because adequate speed is what accomplishes this ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-15, 02:45 PM  
prettyinpink

I would guess from my own experience that if you are young and already have a good muscle base, that LOTS of walking with a quick pace, some hills thrown in, can maintain your shape and prevent sagging. I think lots of steep hills with proper form can certainly help with shaping-- I mean walking lots of hills, mountain trails if you are so lucky to live near some. However, we are talking lots of walking and with making sure you are using your core and glutes and keeping up a good pace. The walking that many people do, and at usual amounts of a thirty minute stroll and not much the rest of the day, isn't going to do much to help the lower half look much different.

The other time I think the answer is yes is when someone is starting out extremely unfit. I think when you are going from extremely out of shape and sedentary and begin walking, you are going to see big changes over time, no matter what exercise you do. But I don't think that is what the first post is asking about.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
walking