Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-14, 04:50 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkapotapus View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm new to posting here, but I've been a long time reader on this board!

I have a question ......

I just got a fitbit flex last week.
I did 2 of Leslie's walking videos the past 2 days & I noticed that her miles vary greatly from what my fitbit flex says when I am finished (same with how many steps it would take for me to do those miles).....

For instance:
Today I did Leslie's 5 mile fat burning walk.
After I finished it I checked my new fitbit readout.....those 5 miles (1hr 3min) logged in at 2.64 miles!
....so I added the 5th mile again with the cool down and rechecked it.....
That mile only logged .58 of a mile.....

So Leslie's "6 miles" only came up to 3.22 miles on my fitbit.....
I'm a little confused as to why there is such a big difference here.....and I'm not sure I can believe one of Leslie's miles is really a mile....which makes me sad because I love Leslie!

Just looking for some insight~
Thank you!
A few things I noticed on this topic...

In my experience I have yet to do a Leslie workout that resulted in the Fitbit distance that Leslie claims. That's okay, but it is always less in terms of the distance. I did calibrate my Fitbit One for walking outside and the distance it gives me is usually accurate or within .1 mile for walking or running outside. But walking workouts are not walking. I do find that they match the intensity they advertise--i.e. 4 miles of 4mph Leslie would be equivalent activity in terms of the intensity and probably the calorie burn. My heart rate gets pretty similar to what it is during a brisk walk.

The problem with claiming a specific distance for steps is that for actual walking different people will cover different distances with the same step count. It may be that Leslie is taller than me and those steps result in x distance for her. I read she (and most walking workouts) bases it on the BPM of the music. Some of the "steps" take more than one beat and some are movements that a fitbit won't pick up as well. I do get "Very active" minutes with the brisker walking workouts though.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 05:56 PM  
monkapotapus

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses!

I did my experiment with the same 6 miles that I originally posted about and did not do the side steps, or kick backs just to see what the step/distance difference would be with the fitbit. I also really made sure to pump my arms the whole time - sometimes doing the arm movements Leslie was doing too.

The differences were measurable on the fitbit:

Original 6 miles: measured in at 3.22 miles and 7796 steps for me

The 2nd time doing the same 6 miles with the adjustments above: measured in at 3.96 miles and 9289 steps!

My "active" minutes were also more the 2nd time around

So.....I might just keep her pace and do more of the walking back and forth/stepping in place sometimes if I'm looking to register more steps for that day.....

I like numbers and that was why my curiosity was piqued!

I still love Leslie & I own many of her walking videos....believe me after both of those workouts I was a bucket of sweat!!

I will check out the Biggest Loser walking video too!

Great suggestion about the treadmill and keeping her pace~

I agree slysam, about people steps/distance registering differently because of height .....being only 5' 2" - I was wondering how that would total up for me.... I also had the same thought about the "missing steps" towards the end of the 2nd workout when I was doing some kicks.......

...and then I thought to myself that I need to do a 3rd experiment with just marching, or moving back and forth to see how that measured up against the other 2 .....lol.....

Do you ladies think putting my fitbit flex around my sports bra strap would register differently as well?
monkapotapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 07:40 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I've heard Leslie make comments about how all the different moves in her walks, along with the pace, make the walk 'equivalent' to plain old walking. She doesn't necessarily measure actual 'distance' or number of steps like a pedometer or Fitbit would. I think it's more that you've moved as much and gotten the same cardio effect that you would have if you had walked X number of miles. How she'd figure that, I don't know. Wouldn't it be different for everyone?

This would be a good question to email her or ask her on Facebook.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 03:58 PM  
monkapotapus

Hi Joni O!

Thank you for your input~
Yes, I think it would be different for everyone based on height.

Great idea facebooking her!
monkapotapus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitbit, leslie