Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-13, 03:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i meant to also say that if i used that 220-age formula & "did the math backwards", even adjusting for my RHR, i ended up being an 83 YO person!!!! not that anything is wrong with being 83!

it just shows you how unreliable that formula is. the web is rampant with criticisms about the 220-age formula.

for myself, i noticed that i had to be sufficiently warmed up before my HR would start to increase. for example, most warm ups tend to be 7 min or less, but for me, i wasn't warmed up until at the 30 min mark. it wasn't until then that i could "affect" my HR to go higher. i could go all before that time, but my HR wouldn't necessarily budge.

using the step, as what many have suggested, is a great intensifier.

walking hills or inclines is another. carrying light weights (1-2#) is another. pushing a stroller, w/ or w/o a baby in it is another.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heart rate, perceived exertion, sally edwards