Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-12, 07:17 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

The best part about having them on the computer is that it is so easy to regroup them. I originally had all the ten-minute solution ones by category (all the strength segments together, all the cardio ones together etc) but I found I had choice paralysis every time I went in there. There were just too many. So I put them into actual workout groupings and find now that I use them much more.

Recently, I tried to separate out the more strengthy Leslies but I am finding it isn't working for me. I know them by title so having to remember which folder I put them in is harder than just sorting through an alphabetical list. So I am going to take them out again. Five seconds later, they'll be ready to go on Airplay. Ain't technology grand?
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 07:34 PM  
Cammie-Cam

I think that for now I'm another one that has to SEE what I have, so I have just one shelf for all of my workout DVDs on the book shelf nearest the TV. Some of them are in original cases, but some of the ones I've bought from Yayas or got in trades that didn't come in their original cases are just in those small DVD cases you buy in Walmart or whatever... they're on the shelf in front of the other DVDs. I actually don't have many, at least not compared to other VFers I'm sure. The shelf is grouped but mostly by instructor.

I have thought about doing the book of DVDs, since that's what I've done with all of my old CDs.
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 08:48 PM  
Sharaz

I keep mine on a big drawer, those that you find on Office Depot (around 50) I like to see the cases and the instructors face. No breakdown or any type of organization. I'm not one that keep workouts once I loose the interest. I have give many to family members and had throw a couple on the trash too Now, that I'm active on the VF forums, I don't have to do that anymore and can donate them

To track workout types/how many times I use a workout or workouts on a month/calories etc. I use my Polar program where the data is transferred directly from the watch to the web using a Flowlink. When I open the system, I just have to write down the workout name/instructor/type. The program have a lot of features, including graphics.
Old 03-30-12, 10:09 PM  
princess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiemouse View Post
How do you all organize your DVDs? It was easy when I just had a few, but over time I find I'm forgetting some I have (especially in sets) when I'm looking to do a quick 30 min cardio or the like. I'm thinking of making a spreadsheet with the DVD name, type, length, etc, but that still leaves the problem of getting them in one place that's easily accessible while still trying to keep sets together. How do you manage your library to find what you want when you want it?
I have a large Case Logic binder. I organize the DVDs by instructor/workout type.
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 10:18 PM  
princess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
I think I win the prize for most anal of all on this one :-) I rip them all to my computer and play them from there. I use air video to play on my iPad and project onto the tv. On my computer, I can easily organize them in folders by length, instructor etc as I see fit. Some workouts got new life this way. For instance in the ten minute solution series, I can easily playlist a workout with sections from multiple disks :-) And with Leslie, I have ripped them by mile, so that I can combine multiple miles from different disks OR play any one-mile with one of the 5-minute warm-up chapters and get a different workout every time. I have almost 100 20-minute Leslies this way. I can get three or four workouts off one DVD.

As for the disks themselves, I bought some cases which hold 4 disks each and keep them all in there on an out of the way shelf in my closet. That way, I can access them again if I need to but they are out of the way most of the time.
That's cool!
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 01:02 AM  
ramonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiemack View Post
I would love a database system to organize them on the computer (mostly because I love databases, not because it would be helpful ). I loved the one that VFer Rachel designed, and used the trial version, decided to buy it, then realized it wouldn't work on the new Mac laptop I had purchased. Oh well.
Have you heard of Collectorz.com? They have a version for both PC and Mac. I started with the db that Rachel designed, then wanted something for my movies, too. I found Collectorz and have all of my DVDs entered (I even bought a scanner). Of course, the filter I use most is "exercise"

They have a trial version and often have sales on the full version. There's also a database for books. Yep, ended up with that too
ramonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 02:30 AM  
edensmom

I have a shelving unit next to the tv and all my dvds live there. I do have them grouped by genres (sets, yoga, barre, pilates, kettlebells, cardio, strength/circuits). Some things fit more than one category so I tend to group those according to where it will be used most. I also group by instructor/brand- Cathes together, Tonique, The Firm, Jari Love etc. Additionally I have a stack I am currently using and I like to have a few I hope to get to in or right next to the "in use" pile. I have a very small binder for workouts without cases. Every few months I have to give the shelves some attention as stuff migrated away from it's designated area or new stuff arrives and gets stuffed wherever. I do a lot of trading so my collection is often in flux.
I have another spot for stuff I am POSITIVE I no longer want a bit higher up on the same shelving unit. Currently that is a small group as I just unloaded probably 16-20 dvds this week.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 07:54 AM  
anne

I'm not that organized at all so this thread is great help. Right now I try to keep Firm dvds on the first two 1/2 shelves of a cabinet next to my tv stand (but they are not all there again!). The other two shelves just have a mix of dvds. More of my dvds are piled in my tv stand (I have narrow side doors on the stand with three piles of dvds in each side--I have to pull out dvds in front of other dvds to find the one I'm looking for) and I still have two vhs tape holders in my tv stand for some of my vhs workouts. The rest are in boxes in the closet. I really like keeping the cases the dvds come in--that's part of the fun for me. Every once in a while I try to organize but usually have trouble deciding whether to keep by instructor or by type of workout and what if the instructor does more than one type of workout on a tape . . . and soon everything is mixed up again. I think the IKEA cabinet idea would work since I could see my tapes and keep the covers--one with doors since it would be in the living room--and it would have to be pretty big! Or maybe a few smaller cabinets.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large collection, organizing