Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-11, 06:10 AM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
My favorite is Cathe's Kick, Punch & Crunch (I skip the high intensity drill chapter). Kick Max isn't bad either! Both are easy to follow and (if you skip that high intensity/high impact nonsense ) are good for beginners/intermediates.
Do these take up a lot of room by chance? Would a small space work ok?
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 06:15 AM  
JP44

ITA / the Kathy Smith kickboxing workout. Excellent instruction! Not only does it teach you the different punches & kicks but it covers things like when/how to pivot your feet during the different punches. It also highlights the difference between a roundhouse & a side kick. Most instructors don't do this.

Kelly Roberts has a 10 min solution Kickboxing workout that's very good for beginners/intermediates.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 06:26 AM  
DachsieDogMom

I just added Kathy Smith kickboxing workout to my Netflix listing. I'm glad the OP asked about this.
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 07:37 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
Do these take up a lot of room by chance? Would a small space work ok?
I've done KP&C the most, and it definitely works in a small space (I work out in a very tight spot). The warm up does about 2 steps side-to-side, plus room to kick forward and back.

Kick Max...eh, can't remember as well, but I know right off the bat there is a combo that uses a bit more room.

Neither of these are crazy space hogs like her Cardio Kicks (I think that's the name).
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 07:37 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
ITA / the Kathy Smith kickboxing workout. Excellent instruction! Not only does it teach you the different punches & kicks but it covers things like when/how to pivot your feet during the different punches. It also highlights the difference between a roundhouse & a side kick. Most instructors don't do this.

Joan
Kathy doesn't instruct this one, right? ... but is there her infernal *whooping*?

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 07:40 AM  
JessieMarie

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. Now I am going to have to look into all of them. :-)
JessieMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 10:42 AM  
Getfit

If you can get any of the G.I. Jabb workouts that would be awesome, I find Kaitlin's form impeccable. Unfortunately, most of her workouts are still on VHS.
Old 07-19-11, 11:26 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getfit View Post
If you can get any of the G.I. Jabb workouts that would be awesome, I find Kaitlin's form impeccable. Unfortunately, most of her workouts are still on VHS.
She had a tutorial video that is excellent.

Unfortunately, in her workouts, she is off beat to the music (might not bother some people, but was a deal breaker for me).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 01:47 PM  
Getfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
She had a tutorial video that is excellent.

Unfortunately, in her workouts, she is off beat to the music (might not bother some people, but was a deal breaker for me).
You are right, she is a bit offbeat but it never bothered me .

Yesterday, I did STS total body and I wanted some cardio so I threw in Larry Lam XKO kickboxing and I forgot how much fun the workout is. It is an oldie but goodie, I will probably never part with it. It is also great for a newbie. It is very short but it is a blast and you have to love the music.
Old 07-19-11, 02:31 PM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Kathy doesn't instruct this one, right? ... but is there her infernal *whooping*?
She DOES instruct, and her form is *blech*, but she has Keith and Kelly helping. They are both background exercisers, so you can always watch their form. Keith also breaks down some of the moves slowly while giving instruction for that particular move. As long as you follow Keith and Kelly, and not Kathy, it's great. And Kathy is kinda whoopy, as usual.

Tags
body bar, bodybar, kickbox, kickboxing, kickboxing for beginners