Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-11, 10:24 PM  
2ndgen

Great post, Bob!

I am struggling with a little regain now but have basically maintained a 100+ weight loss for nearly two decades now. It is definitely about diet for me, although fitness is a partner.

For me, it is calories in/calories out and that translates to watching what I eat and counting calories like a hawk. Exercise has benefits and aids the process and other things factor into the calories out part, but it is the DI*T!!! that is the main component.
Old 09-30-11, 03:15 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
I saw that also Bob. it's a really good movie, documentary, makes sense. i would have loved if my husband would take a look. for me it's difficult when he wants a *different* diet.
I understand! I eat different than my DH. It can be difficult at times.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 03:35 AM  
pumptmuscle

I can see I've piqued a lot of interest in the documentary. It's definitely worth seeing as it just makes so much sense. It definitely parallels Supersize Me but I like that it's more solutions oriented.

I don't want to be the spoiler for it for anyone who's gonna see it but for me, the greater impact came from the secondary character in it, not the main one (that'll make sense if you see it). For those here that talk about difficulties with their male s.o. making changes, you might want to have him watch it with you. There's a good chance they'll be able to relate to the secondary guy instead of the primary like I did.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 08:50 AM  
counterclockwise

Just wanted to mention this - I broke my big toe pretty badly recently, and I haven't worked out in over a month b/c of it. Right around the same time, I finally got control over my diet (meaning eating great during the week, splurging a bit on my beloved sweets on the weekend), and over the last several weeks, I've lost weight. I was in a tight size 8, and now my 8's are loose and I'm fitting in some size 6's!

It is mostly about the diet for me. Exercise helps most definitely, but it's mainly diet.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 09:03 AM  
spotted zebra

I'd love to see the documentary and will be watching it tonight (available on Video on Demand through my PVR/TV provider). Amazon reviews have some interesting comments too. This will no doubt inspire me to dig out my juicer which I still have packed away since moving to my current home. Good post Bob, thanks.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 09:06 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptmuscle View Post
I don't want to be the spoiler for it for anyone who's gonna see it but for me, the greater impact came from the secondary character in it, not the main one (that'll make sense if you see it). For those here that talk about difficulties with their male s.o. making changes, you might want to have him watch it with you. There's a good chance they'll be able to relate to the secondary guy instead of the primary like I did.
I also liked the second guy. His attitude change was it. and ya, it made me buy a Breville juicer and I love it. Sitting right on my counter all nice and pretty, waiting for some fruit.

What I love about this one is IT'S EASY TO CLEAN. !!!!!! not 51 million friggin pieces.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 09:16 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Though if we're talking health and avoidance of chronic disease, the scale would tip back again towards what one consumes (or avoids consuming).
Definitely, but I'd go beyond diet to including ways to improve digestion and assimilation. Even with a clean diet many people's bodies have trouble getting full value out of the nutrients they're consuming but not utilizing through no fault of their own. It's something I've been looking at lately and from what I read in Amazon reviews this will probably be just the push I need to make a couple of changes on top of the ones I've already made. Am hoping the documentary is less about weight loss and more about health and vitality. It sounds like it'll be inspiring, anyway.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 09:20 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted zebra View Post
Am hoping the documentary is less about weight loss and more about health and vitality.
It definitely is. The weight loss is updated almost in passing, but the healing benefits are the ones touted.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 09:20 AM  
pattyd0319

counterclockwise congrats! I notice I do have an easier time controlling my eater when I'm not working out but I hope to not have test that theory anytime soon.

Bob, I'll have to watch those documentaries. I am lucky in that my S.O. eats healthy & has more willpower than I do. He puts on weight easily so he's always eaten healthy since I met him. It helps when those around lead a healthy lifestyle.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 09:28 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Congrats on your success Bob!!!

I hope this is okay for me to post here. If it isn't please let me know and I will be happy to remove the link.

I watched the Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead documentary about a week ago. I've been interested to find out how Joe Cross, the main person in the documentary, is doing today. He's been posting some YouTube videos which I have found helpful and inspiring. He talks about how important exercise is in his life now compared to when he first started his project. I thought it might be of interest to some here to see how Joe is living today and how he maintains his weight loss and healthier lifestyle. Here is a link to his YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FatSicka...20/2AZRac7UJ1I

Tags
dr joel fuhrman, fat sick nearly dead, inspiration, juicing, maintenance, weight loss