Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-11, 07:18 AM  
beatchica

I thought I would summarize the list of great suggestions (all very spot on) posted in this thread. As a personal trainer and as others have mentioned, you do not need high impact to get in shape. Simply keep in mind the guidelines below so you have a balanced approach to your fitness goals.
1. NUTRITION
2. STRENGTH
3. FLEXIBILITY
4. CARDIO CAPACITY
5. CONSISTENCY
6. REST (do not overlook the importance of rest and recovery)
7. VARIETY (mix it up a bit)
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 08:54 AM  
Alan

There are some people on this forum whom I'd consider to be in pretty phenomenal shape and one common trait I've noticed among them is that they invariably exercise with a sense of purpose and are constantly challenging themselves in whatever workout they choose.

If you keep those principles in mind I think you can choose almost any type of balanced exercise regime and get into pretty fantastic shape.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 09:36 AM  
Cammie-Cam

I think alot of these extreme workouts are nothing but marketing and feeding the public's appetite for some kind of "super fit" body, that apparently can only be achieved by these extreme all-out, high impact methods. Just like others have said I think that a fit body can be achieved via a variety of different methods, one of which CAN be high impact, but I don't think that doing exclusively that kind of workout is the only way to achieve a great shape. Right now even I'm looking into some other workout methods because after months of Cathe, older Firms and even some P90X cardio mixed into my routine, I'm feeling burned out and tired of all the jumping. I've got wonky knees anyway, and I want to avoid any serious injury. I'm trying to get out of the mindset that high impact is the only way to reach my weight loss goals.
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 09:55 AM  
pattyd0319

I think it depends on individual goals. If your focus is weight loss and getting that lean cut look then nutrition is a the top.

According to ACSM and all of my sports physiology books at home, increasing cardio-respiratory fitness through cardio exercise is the one thing that is proven to increase lifespan and cardio health among the general population. I have lots of cardiovascular disease in my family and #1 on my list has always been increasing my cardiovascular health. If your goal is cardio health then moderate to high intensity cardio is a must and strength training is not a substitute. To see optimal gains, one should increase intensity and duration and heart rate should be elevated to between 55 to 85 percent (some say 90, I prefer 85). Here are some official guidelines but it's rather technical. A much less technical summary can be found here. I choose running because I enjoy it but biking, swimming, speed walking, elliptical are good alternatives.

And of course strength & flexibility are also important for quality of life and will help improve cardio performance and reduce risk for injury.

Nutrition is important too (My priorities 1-cardio, 2-flexibility, 3-strength, 4-nutrition). I know I need to eat to fuel my runs and workouts and I tend to avoid fried, high fat meals out of habit as I know no workout will make up for a 4000 calorie meal. Plus, my workouts are crap when I do eat a heavy meal thus, I tend to choose better foods to help my performance. However, as I do enjoy happy hour beer and food in general, I'm never going to be supermodel thin. The only time I really log my food and watch every detail is when I am doing a rotation to focus on strength and cut way back on cardio so that I don't gain weight or when I am explicitly trying to lose weight.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 09:59 AM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
What gets people into fantastic shape, fitness-wise, is consistency and progression. But the progression can be gradual.

I don't get the mania for "xtreme" workouts. To me it's obvious that they can be part of a healthy exercise program, but aren't meant to be done full-tilt every day. I'm sure even athletes schedule rest and recovery days/cycles. That's a problem I have with Beachbody's programs. Insanity, Turbo Fire, etc are all made up of similar workouts - of similar intensity - within each program. Mixing intensities and styles up makes more sense to me. Less stressful on the body and probably more effective in the long run.
Such good points! Athletes, at least the ones with good trainers, definitely schedule rest and recovery and cycle their training. One problem with the high intensity DVDs is that without direct guidance from the instructor, you often have to figure out on your own how much of their workout/program is too little, enough, or too much. Of course you can always modify, but I do think it can be hard for some to truly figure out how to make a plan/workout work for you if it's designed a certain way and it's all follow-along on a DVD. It's very helpful to have someone to tell you "ok, if you're feeling X way, we need to back off, change things up, etc.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 10:05 AM  
pattyd0319

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
Such good points! Athletes, at least the ones with good trainers, definitely schedule rest and recovery and cycle their training. One problem with the high intensity DVDs is that without direct guidance from the instructor, you often have to figure out on your own how much of their workout/program is too little, enough, or too much. Of course you can always modify, but I do think it can be hard for some to truly figure out how to make a plan/workout work for you if it's designed a certain way and it's all follow-along on a DVD. It's very helpful to have someone to tell you "ok, if you're feeling X way, we need to back off, change things up, etc.
I agree with this. One problem I had with insanity and original Barry's Bootcamp 5 day academy was it was just too much impact everyday. Whether I run or do cardio, my workout is not the same every day. I have one interval workout a week, 2 moderate workouts and 1 long but easy cardio workout along with 2 strength training workouts.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 10:26 PM  
bonbon

Since I ditched my Peak Fit rotation (as outlined in the literature that came with the set), I've been enjoying my Tracie Long Longevity workouts. No dread and I don't feel like I need a nap afterwards! Still, I wonder how different the results would be between the Peakfit Rotation (as written) or a Tracie Long rotation from her website?
bonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 01:36 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I have been doing low impact for over two years now, and I am in great shape, if I say so myself, lol! I do cardio (low impact with maybe one step workout per week), weight lifting, and lots of stretching. Of course "diet" is very important, but I don't stress over it. I have to say I have been tempted to order Turbo Fire" but I really don't think I would enjoy it, even following the modifier. I agree with Lucky Star, consistency and progression is key.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high impact, impact