Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-19, 11:22 AM  
Sissy B

While I don't write checks to pay for groceries anymore (I use my debit card), I did have to one time a couple of years ago because the card reader at the store went down and they could only accept checks or cash. Thankfully I had my checkbook with me.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 11:25 AM  
Sissy B

And while I do pay some bills online, I don't allow companies to take automatic payments from my account. DH joined Planet Fitness a few years ago and automatic debit is the only form of payment they take so we set up a separate free checking account at a another local bank just to pay them. That's the only thing that is paid through that account.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 12:27 PM  
Exercise Diva

I pay for everything pretty much online, and the few situations that come up where I do have to pay by check I actually resent it. Even my hairstylist takes tips by Venmo which is a big plus in my book (I'm one who avoids ATMs or banks as much as I can). The downside is that my DH is the complete opposite, and if something were to happen to me, he would have no idea how to access our bank accounts or pay the bills. I'm seriously thinking of putting together a list of passwords and instructions and keeping them in our safety deposit box for him.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 12:28 PM  
Exercise Diva

I was going to add that I will not allow a company to take automatic payments from my account for the reasons sited in some of the other posts.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 12:35 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I write checks to the school PTO and our cleaning lady. I pay all other bills through the bank or via credit card. Through the bank, the bills are all in one place and I basically zoom through one page putting in amounts and dates so it saves me time and means I'm less likely to miss something.

Via credit card, I get a cashback bonus (we mostly use our Discover cards for everything) and actually better security than I would otherwise. My credit card number was stolen and the thief hit my account for over $2K. By the time i figured it out, over a month had gone by (the initial charges were $15-$50 so I didn't notice them). Discover immediately credited me ALL of the ones I identified as fraudulent and issued a new card.

Bank fraud, or debit card fraud, is much more difficult to remedy.

I will say I didn't realize until recently that I could deposit money (I get a few hardcopy checks still) using my bank's app. A couple of my friends made fun of me for months over that!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 02:51 PM  
Leonana

I pay my pest control company with a check. Sometimes I send him a check through my bank, which doesn't cost me anything. I pay my bills online, and it seems bigger companies get a direct deposit, but smaller companies get a check from my bank.

However, I use a check from my dh's business account. He's an independent contractor, and a money transfer to our private account takes two days. I usually want it right away, lol. I can deposit the check via my smart phone and access the money right away.

I do have a few automatic charges, but on my credit card, nothing from my bank account. I have Paypal connected to my credit card. I use my debit card around town, although I suppose it would be safer to use my credit card. I probably should do that, now that I've read this thread.

Tags
payment options