Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-19, 01:28 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I only use paper checks when a vendor doesn't accept a debit/credit card or pay pal. I don't use Zelle since there's no way to track the payments. I don't think that people who still pay with checks are stupid. We all make our choices. I must say, however, that I don't like being behind someone at the grocery store writing a check who waits to start it AFTER everything has been rung up. At least put the payee name and date on it to save time!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 01:29 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have checks but very rarely use them. It's either e-transfer, credit card, or Paypal for me.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 01:33 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

I pay all my bills online and can't remember the last time I wrote a check. Purchases for groceries, etc., are made with a card. It's rare that I have cash on me, and if I do have cash it's likely less than $20.
Old 10-05-19, 01:35 PM  
angie_nrs

I must be a dinosaur too. I pay some monthly bills with checks, like my CC bill, insurance, utilities, doctors office, Roth IRA deposits, etc. I also reconciliate my checking account every month. I'm amazed that very few people seem to do that anymore. My kids just get a general idea of what's in their account and that's good enough for them. Oh my gosh......NO!

I pretty much have to use a CC for online purchases, but other than that I pay cash for everything. I always have about $500 on me at all times in all denominations of bills. I don't like the big banks, so I like to use cash since they can't make any money off that, like they do with every CC transaction. Plus, I like my privacy. The big banks don't need to know everything I purchase. That 1-2% cash back incentive is not enough to make me forfeit my privacy or my dislike of large CC companies.
Old 10-05-19, 01:43 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P. View Post
I pay all my utility bills (except Cox) with a check & mail them via snail mail.
I pay my utility bills the same way - check sent snail mail.

Have any of you gone to places where they refuse to accept cash? That happened to DH & I three times this summer. Two different golf courses refused to accept cash payment, and we ran into the same thing when we wanted to take a tour boat ride while on vacation. Credit cards were the only payment accepted.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 01:48 PM  
firmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
I pay my utility bills the same way - check sent snail mail.

Have any of you gone to places where they refuse to accept cash? That happened to DH & I three times this summer. Two different golf courses refused to accept cash payment, and we ran into the same thing when we wanted to take a tour boat ride while on vacation. Credit cards were the only payment accepted.
Yes!! The Parking garage we have to use in the city only accepts credit cards or prepaid pass. Our fav local coffee place has a note up discouraging cash...

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 01:52 PM  
Vantreesta

Refusing cash is just insane!! Why would they turn away money that has no associated fees for them and no risk (assuming the bills aren't counterfeit)? Ridiculous.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 01:54 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Refusing cash is just insane!! Why would they turn away money that has no associated fees for them and no risk (assuming the bills aren't counterfeit)? Ridiculous.
less chance of geting robed.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 02:23 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

In addition to the risk to a retailer of theft or robbery, there is also a cleanliness issue with handling cash. Who knows how many sets of hands those bills or coins have passed through? It is also eliminates the need for preparing and counting floats and making physical bank deposits.

I have not paid for anything in cash in over 2 years and rarely write cheques. Etransfer or credit/debit card almost exclusively. I even used a credit card at the machine to put $1.00 of air in my tires at the gas station.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 02:32 PM  
Messe

I write checks only when there's no other way to pay — maybe one or two checks a month, one of which is to my homeowners' association.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
payment options