Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-19, 04:43 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Anyone converting VHS to DVD or mp4?

My VCR died, apparently, and I don't want to give up my Tae Bo Live sets! I looked at conversions services but they are expensive and don't seem to do backups of commercial videos. Is anyone here doing this? I'll pay!

The alternative, I assume, is to buy another VCR and do it myself. I'm not sure how easy it is to find one these days.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-19, 06:41 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I would do it for you for free but according to a post by Sherry I found in another thread, the Tae Bo lives are copyright protected and the VHS/DVD combo player I have won't let me convert those. The Firm are also copyright protected as are a couple of Yoga Journal VHS I have and a Keli Roberts step video. Otherwise, most workouts usually aren't copyrighted in a way that prevents conversion with my combo player.

I tagged the bottom of this thread so you can see the prior threads on the subject. Based on prior threads, I think sheepla's husband used to do some VHS to dvd conversions. Not sure if this is still true and if his equipment allows conversion of copyrighted tapes.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-19, 06:48 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Ugh, so even if I could find someone to do it or buy a new VCR, I wouldn't be able to overcome the copyright protection?

Thank you, I'll read through those threads! And do some more research on this.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 09-19-19, 06:50 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Ugh, so even if I could find someone to do it or buy a new VCR, I wouldn't be able to overcome the copyright protection?

Thank you, I'll read through those threads! And do some more research on this.
Actually, I just read further through one thread and apparently one converter device did work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
You can use Roxio VHS to DVD Convertor for Windows. I use the Mac version and can copy my old Tae Bo Live and other VHS tapes to DVD without problems

http://www.roxio.com/enu/promotions/.../default.html?
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-19, 09:30 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm still in the process of converting my VHS tapes to DVD. I am using the Roxio product (the Windows one) and was able to copy the one Firm I have and all the Tae Bo lives without issue. It's not like I'm trying to sell them so I feel no guilt.

I found a Sony VCR at Goodwill. I also put out a request via NextDoor (a neighborhood app, not sure if you're familiar with it or have something similar) and someone there had several old VCRs that she said I could have. By the time she answered my inquiry I had already found the $10 VCR at Goodwill. There may be someone in your area that would be willing to let you have their VCR.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-19, 10:20 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I've seen many cheap VCRs at thrift stores. Usually they will let you plug it in to make sure it works, or at least let you bring in back if it doesn't.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-19, 10:32 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I think horse2mom does all this kinda stuff. Can't pin her but maybe she will come or you can PM her for help. My vcr is still working. but I got nothing to put in it,

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-19, 02:22 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I will start hunting for a VCR! I wish I'd done all this before. That at least would allow me to play my VHS a while longer.

Old 09-20-19, 03:14 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Switching from VHS to DVD has been on my to-do list for about 15 years . I converted some of my videos, but still have a lot more to do. I want to convert all the Firm tapes. I bought several VCR's when they were beginning to be phased out. Ah, the good old days...

ETA: Amazon has some VCR's. Also, this gizmo looks interesting.

I had bought one of these converters, and it works, but the quality of the copy is just okay.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 11:50 AM  
horsemom2

I stopped converting vhs to dvd several years ago but lots are online.
The TaeBo Lives were on youtube
here is the result of one search
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...%282+of+12%29+
I had found better quality but may not have saved the link

ETA: maybe better quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzfOioTYTY4

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mp4, tae bo live, vhs to dvd, youtube workouts