Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 01-25-05, 01:49 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare*
I'm agreeing with Horsemom here- I had several David Gray videos when I was first starting out, and I thought they were fine. Certainly not HOS material.

You have to put the ORIGINAL BodyFlex on there- actually it should be number 1 in my opinion. (the VFer who objected was talking about the 2nd video, with the bar ) Actually, not just my opinion- we've had several VF get togethers, including one Cathe trip, where this was voted number 1- the worse WORKOUT video ever. (ETA) We're not talking deep breathing here, we are talking workouts!
Yes, Clare, I know you are talking about the first workout, and I can't defend it. It definitely should be number one on the list. I just wanted to point out how important deep breathing. As I said in my other post, I'm sorry I went off topic.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 03:40 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I'm a little confused--is Oxycise the same thing as Bodyflex?

I was going to put the original BodyFlex on there, but put Oxycise instead. We could make both one entry though!
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 03:45 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima
I'm a little confused--is Oxycise the same thing as Bodyflex?

I was going to put the original BodyFlex on there, but put Oxycise instead. We could make both one entry though!
The concept is the same, deep breathing exercises while holding isometric tension. Oxycise's deep breathing technique is different from BodyFlex's. It's much quieter, and less drastic. I can do Jill's technique outdoors and not worry about scaring someone. I have scared my family and my dog while doing the "pah" in BodyFlex's workout.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 03:51 PM  
MARIKA

Stephanie Steele Kickboxing. What a waste of time and money. I should be a producer!!
MARIKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-05, 12:12 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

OK, so I think the list ends up like this:

1. Maria Conchita Alonso's Hot Fitness- Dance It Up
2. Anna Kournikova Basic Elements
3. The 10 Best Fitness/10 Best Workouts DVD
4. Crunch Tae Boxing
5. Stephanie Steele's Knockout Workout
6. Zsa Zsa's workout video
7. Regis's My Own Personal Workout
8. Dixie Carter's Unworkout
9. The original BodyFlex with Greer Childers
10. Marilu Henner's workout video

If this looks OK, I'll ask that the mods put it in the FAQs so newcomers know what to stay away from!
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 12:43 PM  
AngiTN

Add me to the list that likes David Grey. He's very entertaining and makes the workout fun.

I don't see this one mentioned and it really might top the list if anyone else happens to have seen it. I picked it up at a used book store we have in town. I find lots of great and lots of horrible workouts there. This one is the worst of all time.... The Navy Seal Workout Challenge by C. J. Carracci. He's dressed like Rambo and working out in his back yard. It looks like it should be a training video for some sort of survivial training guy or something. It's so bad it's funny.
Old 07-28-05, 07:59 PM  
milesmommy

Vf Hall of Shame

My aunt used to have a video led by Sandhal Bergman (she of the Firm Classics Vol. 3 fame) called "JazzGym" or something like that. The cover was outrageous -- Sandahl and her minions were working out in bright leotards with black "pleather" jackets on over them. (They were the "Michael Jackson" sytle jackets from the 80s with all the angled flaps and snaps.) And yes, their outfits were nicely enhanced by the legwarmers that matched their leotards. They all had crimped hair and it was basically nothing more than rip-off disco moves to the crappiest music I have ever heard.

She also had a video led by Mary Hart from "Entertainment Tonight" that was pretty awful. Mary led this w/o like she had downed a bottle of quaaludes right before she got a face full of Botox injections -- she looked like a human barbie doll. It was freakishly captivating and disturbing at the same time.

In the case of this video (and, to be completely fair, some of the others that have been mentioned in this thread), sometimes it isn't necessarily the workout itself that is so bad -- it's the delivery or the atmosphere (or both). That DOES impact whether or not we will actually use the w/o, right?

milesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 01:13 AM  
Stepper

If this is about what can't be recommended due to being dangerous - I have those Sports Illustrated, and yes, they're awful, but I still do them as they're not unsafe, and I DO have a sense of rhythm (unlike Cheryl) and I have to modify UP, but I think they're fine for beginners and they'd be VERY inexpensive now!

The Cher also, don't think there's anything untoward in either of them and if I had the confidence to wear what she wears at her age - I'd be pretty darned happy!

However, Arlene Phillips: Dance and Exercise Programme (She's known for being one of the women in Kenny Everett's Naughy Bits - but I'm showing my age here!) I bought this thinking it was DANCE - stupid, stupid. It's almost all stretching (she's in high heels) and does bouncing! It has abs at the end which are also VERY dated moves and dangerous! It's in my stretch group, but I seriously modify!

Phillip Gray - (don't know the other Gray guy) - he's just fun!
Old 02-02-06, 04:02 PM  
lissalaurel76

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith938
do any of you remember the playgirl video set from the late 80s early 90s? never got through the first one...they had men/women in a circle exercising but the camera ketp focusing on the pelvis and it wasn't even good 'eye candy'..I mean, you couldn't tell how to do the exercise and what they were showing was clothed (somewhat) and didnt' look all that great....and please don't tell me I threw them away too soon and missed the good part!!

sorry to bring up an old thread, but videodective.com actually has a clip of this. Its called Hunkercize. (or hunkercise, not sure which) OMG I could NOT believe it when I saw it. I was gonna make a separate post about it, but somebody in the Bargain Watch forum linked to this thread when talking about Alan Harris.
Old 03-23-07, 12:41 PM  
evywill06

Club Cardio

Tim Caulwell's Club Cardio. Yuch!!!!!!!!!!!!
evywill06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alan harris, hall of shame, worst of