Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-19, 09:26 PM  
Juice

I’ve tried both Calm and Headspace. I much prefer Calm.

Haven’t tried Insight Timer.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-19, 10:33 PM  
geojill

I prefer Calm by far over Headspace. Insight Timer is good and is free, but I like Calm the most.
Old 12-22-19, 10:54 PM  
momofcha

Lone dissenter I guess. I love headspace and just renewed

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 12:31 AM  
sillygirl

Thank you all! I've downloaded the Calm, Headspace, Insight Timer, Simple Habit, and Relax Melodies apps. All have lots of great free meditations and sleep stories.

I do like Calm's User Interface the most and that you can customize the ambient sound on the main dashboard. I like being able modify the "completed meditations" on the calendar too.

I think it'll come down to whether my kids and I like British vs. Non-British voices and how the meditations are guided.

There's so much free content available between these apps it'll be hard to choose.

Calm does currently have a Cyber Monday 60% off discount on their Lifetime Subscription which brings the cost down to $159.99 if anyone is interested - https://support.calm.com/hc/en-us/ar...-Calm-members-
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 08:41 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
Lone dissenter I guess. I love headspace and just renewed
Me too! Calm was okay, but I like Andy's instruction better. I sometimes use the free version of Insight Timer. They have some great instructors on there but I still prefer Headspace. It just feels more structured to me.
Old 12-23-19, 09:26 AM  
owltx

Another big Calm fan here. I like all the options for meditating, from non-guided to guided, and I really enjoy their series. If you have trouble sleeping, I have found their sleep stories (particularly partial to Alan Sklar and the French Whisperer (some of his are also on youtube).) to be, for me, amazing. I have trouble staying asleep, so when I wake up in the middle of the night and my mind starts racing, i put on my "sleep sheep" head phone band, put on a sleep story and it really helps my mind quiet down and get back to sleep.
Old 12-23-19, 12:34 PM  
Hilary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
How do you do 444 days in a row on the free version? I downloaded it and it has 7 day free trial, and even to load that I have to agree to automatically move onto $89/year.
That's weird. I feel sure it's a free app. The membership is just if you want to listen to the courses. I was using it for free for at least six months before I got the membership. But of course now that I have it I can't really download it again to see what it requires.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 01:12 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
That's weird. I feel sure it's a free app. The membership is just if you want to listen to the courses. I was using it for free for at least six months before I got the membership. But of course now that I have it I can't really download it again to see what it requires.
I've never paid for anything and have access to all meditations, just not the courses.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 03:50 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
I have this feeling that a couple (few?) years ago it was free -- maybe they were having a special? -- but maybe that's no longer the case. It is an awful lot of content for free!! (the one I have anyway)
Old 12-23-19, 04:29 PM  
prettyinpink

Another one to try is Breathe.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calm app, headspace, insight timer, meditation, meditation app