Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-19, 06:47 PM  
cyana

If you talk to anyone who teaches the Yamuna method, they will tell you the playground balls won't provide the same benefit. The balls are nice, you can inflate them to different levels of firmness and they're designed to provide pull/resistance versus slipping (but they aren't sticky to the touch). I was fortunate to come across some package deals when I got my early Yamuna products and I purchased the pearl ball from my former instructor and got it at a discount. You could certainly try using playground balls and if you don't get the results you're looking for, consider purchasing the balls. You might be able to check her book out through your library. I got some of my Yamuna products from her site and some from Amazon. My instructor sold a bunch of her stuff at cost when she was preparing to move away - too bad I had pretty much everything I needed at that point! I don't know if you might find anything on eBay.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 03:19 AM  
starbelly

I had the red and yellow balls in the past, but the yellow one arrived defective (secondhand) and the red one lasted until the dogs got to it. I replaced the red with the silver and Yamuna balls are really different from other types of balls. The silver ball gives a much deeper abdominal massage than the Coregeous ball and it also feels very different on the back. The black balls are intended for use on the feet, but they are also very effective for other parts of the body.

Yamuna equipment is expensive, but it is really worth it. A Sissel foam roller cost as much as a Yamuna ball, but has become misshapen, unlike a Yamuna ball which can be reinflated. I do not have the DVDs, but there are a number of Yamuna style videos on youtube (even more if you can understand Spanish).
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 07:07 AM  
Lannette

Star belly, can you tell me the size of the silver ball? The look very much like the balls I got with Cheryl Soleway’s DVD. They can also be re-inflated and are textured. They were no more than half the price of the Yamuna balls but I bought them many years ago.

I’m sorry but $45-68 for a single ball is highway robbery unless it sprouts hands and massages me. Chances are they’re made in China.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss

Last edited by Lannette; 12-23-19 at 07:07 AM. Reason: To add
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 08:05 AM  
Lannette

This ABSTRACT the sizes (in diameter) of the balls in cm, which then can be converted. They list gold: 25 cm, pearl: 15 cm, black: 10 cm, Silver: 23 cm. There’s also some background on the method. ETA: The paper also reviews several of the routines for those who are curious.

I pulled out my old Yamuna paperback. The routine is very similar, if not the same as my soleway dvd. Interesting.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss

Last edited by Lannette; 12-23-19 at 08:13 AM. Reason: To add info and clarify
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 08:24 AM  
starbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Star belly, can you tell me the size of the silver ball? The look very much like the balls I got with Cheryl Soleway’s DVD. They can also be re-inflated and are textured. They were no more than half the price of the Yamuna balls but I bought them many years ago.

I’m sorry but $45-68 for a single ball is highway robbery unless it sprouts hands and massages me. Chances are they’re made in China.
The silver ball I have was made in Italy. I am not sure how they are measured, but I put it next to a Togu ball marked 22cm (~9"?) and it is smaller. (I do not know how to make a photo small enough to meet the 97kb limit so I cannot upload the image here.) There was a website mentioned in the first pages of this thread which still exists under a different name. The silver ball there is $25.50; the European site sells is for €26.40 + VAT so it is far less expensive at link given.

The black balls are slightly larger than the Petrone/Miracle balls and are made of a thicker material.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 10:12 AM  
Pam

Thanks for all the comments regarding the Yamuna workouts. I now have new ideas I want to try out. I haven’t seen the Yamuna balls, but what could make them more effective? The type of the material used to make the balls more flexible that allows them to dig in deeper when they are used? I am going to take the suggestions to use the playground balls initially and see how they work for me.

Tags
cheryl soleway, stomach massage, yamuna, yamuna ball substitutes