Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-17-21, 09:09 PM  
Leonana

Nothing yet today, but am planning on yoga or stretch before bed.

Liz, welcome to the group! The more the merrier. Love your dog avatar. I did WS3 when it first came out, used the low step and mostly followed Jessica. My heaviest weight is 10 pounds, so not as heavy as her. Sometimes I will do a WS3 workout, but I modify. It is easy to modify. You can follow Debbie, use lower weighs, or skip the step. I find that makes it much easier.

Pam, My ball was always too firm and I couldn't grip it with one hand, even with less air. Then I found a soft foam ball from Goodwill, and use that now. Unfortunately the Firm seems to aggravate my right glute, because of all the lunges. I'm keeping Super Sculpt, and will modify. I wish I had known about the Firm back in the 90's and 2000's. I think it would have been great for me when I was younger.

wishiwasinhawaii, my hair was straight, but the gray is coming in curly and wavy, and sort of wiry. I now have to moisturize a lot and straighten it with a curly iron. All those years I wanted curly hair, and now I want my straight hair back, lol.

Donna, I hope the horse show went okay for your dd.

Cab, reactions to both shots does sound tough, but it sounds worth it. I know I should get it someday.
Old 01-17-21, 11:30 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hello Liz and WELCOME to our small check-in!!!

It's so nice to have you join us!!! Oh boy, you're doing WS3, huh?! Wow, it's probably one of Jessica's more challenging rotations and I've gone through it just a couple of times. I sometimes bounce around between Jessica's workouts (use mostly DVDs) but when I feel I've done them enough will check out her YouTube stuff or move on to other instructors or rotations. I need to work my way back up to WS3. Sounds like you might be encouraging some of us (or at least me!)

Sherry, I'm so sorry about your glute/hip area. Hope the stretching helps to alleviate some of your pain!

wishiwasinhawaii, what kind of decluttering did you do? Any specific area of the house that you're working on? I've got a few things in my car ready to donate (dishes and clothes.)

Donna, I was checking out Jessica Valant on YouTube and she seems great and has a wonderful testimony! I'm hoping I can add a few of her workouts each week!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 08:41 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I survived the horse show - the worst part of the whole thing is standing around in the cold....forever...and then my daughter does her thing, in a few minutes its over and that's it! She did win 3rd for one of her events and 5th for the other. Her horse is getting better at competing - he used to get really freaked out about being in a new place, but he is getting more used to traveling.
Anyway, it was one of those very damp days yesterday - not overly cold, but the dampness....

On to today....

Ellen's Moving for Beauty
ePilates - 21 Day Pilates, Barre, Yoga Challenge Day 1 - this was an enjoyable back to basics routine. I like Emma's teaching style and pacing.

I may do Pahla's workout today or I may not...I am behind one day so today would be Day 17 for me which is the walk/stretch...I'll see how my day goes.

Liz - welcome! I love your Golden Retriever - I have a Golden and a Lab. I admit I haven't worked up the courage to do WS3. I have done a few of the workouts here and there when they were scheduled in the Calm & Strong rotation and I found they were not as scary as I thought they would be. I didn't go as heavy as Jessica, though and I kept it moderate. Right now I'm working my way through Pahla B's latest Weight Loss challenge and I'm enjoying it - but for Feb I may do something else...was thinking of either going back to WS1 to work my way up to the new set, I was also thinking about doing Fusion February from Jessica's site or maybe something else, can't decide, LOL!

Pam - I really like Jessica V - she posted a new workout today for SI Joint...

Sherry - did you get your yoga in? I haven't done a FIRM workout in a long time - well, actually I think I did one or two of the "Basics" over the summer. They are fun....but I do prefer to move more slowly it helps me to watch my form.

Waves wishiwasinhawaii and CabC.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 04:04 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong Day 20 (Pilates Fusion Sculpt!)

Hello Ladies,

I just love Jessica's Pilates and Fusion workouts! There's not one I haven't disliked and I welcome the gentle mix into the rotation! I also added to this more from Tracey Mallett's Pilates Super Sculpt (Total Body Challenge!) I think this might be the most advanced segment from this group. She does Pilates push-ups and full (advanced) teaser which I'm so not ready for! The spine stretching is good in this segment, though.

In order to use my Supreme Pilates machine more frequently, I got a couple Stott DVDs to use with it. One I did today was called Pilates Off the Wall and I only did the upper body workouts which felt wonderful. Moira doesn't lead this one. The instructor is John Garey and he's a terrific coach! Anyway, I liked what I've done and it moves along...unlike some of the other Stott workouts I've done in the past that are sooooooooooooo slooooooow!

Donna, glad to hear the horse show went so well for your daughter and that you got through standing out in the elements in January weather! Like you said, the horses like it so they are the stars I suppose.

Waves to everyone else!

Current Rotation:
Old 01-18-21, 05:51 PM  
lizh

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the warm welcome. My avatar is my former dog Zowie who was the best boy ever! Loved him! I currently have a black German Shepherd who is equally a great dog. Dogs are the best and they are great for my mental health.

Doing WS3 is a stretch for me! I have been doing Jessica rotations since March and I'm getting a little bored with WS1 and WS2 along with her other DVDs so I thought I would push myself a little bit. My motto is "If Debby can do it, maybe I can do it." I have to modify quite a bit and I'm on day 5 and I'm sore. However, it is a "good" sore. Since I had previously only done a few of the workouts, I'm enjoying that it is something new.

Donna, I've been intrigued by Pahla's latest weight loss challenge rotation. I tried one of her earlier rotations (I think it was the beginner one) and I made it to about day 20 and then I bailed.

Thanks for bringing up Jessica Valant...just checked out her channel.

Waves to all!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 10:57 PM  
Leonana

Today was the Chris Freytag Prevention Strength workout. Two 15 minute workouts and a six minute stretch. I liked it the best out of all the new ones I've bought. She must have been an influence on Jessica, because I recognized a few moves. It was also fun to see a very young Jessica as a backup exerciser! I'm so used to following Jessica, I still followed her on this dvd, lol.

Pam, I love Jessica's Fusion workouts too.

Donna, I'm glad the horse show went well. Congrats to your daughter. I did do a stretch last night, Dr. Jo's stretches for the SI Joint. It bothers me when I lay down in bed at night, and I don't sleep well. I thought maybe it's not my piriformis, and it's my SI Joint. The stretches relieved the ache, and I thought okay, it's my SI Joint. But then it was sore and achey all day today, and feels worse. I get confused as to what in my glute is bothering me, lol. The Firm moves too fast for me too, I am now down to one Firm that I am keeping. I also have three KCM's, three Leslie's and the Chris Freytag. Jessica is still my favorite, but I have some other options when I need a change.

Liz, good job with WS3. I agree, dogs are the best. We have only three cats now. We lost our last dog a year ago last November. At one time, we had two dogs and three cats, and it's a bit too much for me. I told my husband and daughter we can get a dog when the two older cats are gone. I do miss my dogs a lot though.
Old 01-18-21, 11:04 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was WS1 Lower Body and an outdoor walk.

Welcome Liz! WS3 is definitely the toughest of the 3. Hopefully Jessica's new Lift & Shift will be out soon. I normally do the rotations Jessica has that combine all 3 WS DVDs, but decided to get back to WS1 because I hadn't done it so long.

Donna, Glad to hear your DD did well and you made it through the horse event! Those sound like my niece's cheer competitions--waiting around for hours for her performance, which only lasts about 2 minutes. They're trying to do them virtually now so we'll see how that goes.

Sherry, That's funny about your gray coming in curly! I definitely do not have that going on at all.

Pam, I made a lot of progress decluttering this weekend. I try to do one room at a time and that seems to work well. I'm planning to sell my house so I'm trying to get this done. I had originally planned to sell later this year, but due to COVID and uncertainty about whether I'll be working from home after COVID ends, I'll probably have to wait.
Old 01-19-21, 08:30 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did get out to walk my doggie and I did Yoga w/ Adriene - Yoga for Psoas - I enjoyed that one - it was a good one to do after walking!

Today, so far, has been:

Pahla B - Walk off the Weight Series - Day 18 - Low Impact Cardio - this was more my speed. Minimal walking, lots of low impact variety.

ePilates - 21 Day Challenge - Day 2 - this was a nice simple Pilates routine. Nothing overly remarkable about it - but I enjoyed it and Emma as an instructor.

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath Day 11 - Flow - Today, Adriene and I got along fine. I am thinking it may be that I just don't do well w/ doing her stuff daily. Or it could be that there is something about her programs - as opposed to her single individual practices...either way - this was a good one for today!

I have a full day of meetings - ugh. Not looking forward to it. I think I'm finally done at 2:30, so at 2:30 I'm going to either walk or do CS to just get up and away from my desk.

Pam - I just love Jessica's fusion workouts, too - well I really just love Fusion workouts! I was thinking about doing Fusion February next month - but I'm not sure - I'm still not bored/tired of Pahla - so I may do her earlier weight loss challenge in February.....and then maybe Body Shaping in March...but not sure if I will last that long w/ one instructor - you never know though....

wishiwasinhawaii - good job w/ the decluttering, that is a constant fight here...stuff just accumulates.....

Sherry - figuring out what is going on w/ your glute/hip/back is a challenge. I thought my issue was my SI joint and then I started to do some scoliosis practices w/ Jessica Valent and that helped more than anything for the SI. I think the major contributors to my issues are the way I sit - I tend to sit to one side more than the other and my right side is much tighter than my left. Classical Stretch seems to help a lot too w/ the full range of motion. I would recommend checking Jessica Valent's you Tube channel - she has different workouts for different back conditions and you may just find the one that works for you.

Liz - I agree about doggies!! I am really enjoying Pahla right now, obviously. The hardest thing for me to get my head around w/ this weight loss challenge is that it is enough - her workouts are short and low dread and then I start feeling like they just can't be doing anything. But, I think they are - it is the cumulative effect more than one single workout. And, she does leave me w/ energy to spare so I can do other stuff, too, the trick is not to over do it. This is her new challenge, last year she did another Weight Loss challenge in January - I'm considering continuing into February with her and doing that first challenge. I also like that the workouts are under 30 min - it give me time to add Pilates yoga, etc.

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 03:33 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong Day 21 (ARD!)

Hi Ladies,

Since today was an active rest day on the rotation I ended up using my newest exercise equipment (The Total Gym!) It arrived yesterday with the UPS guy carrying it up to my front door! He must be new because the machine with all of the attachments and packing materials was 100bs.! No dolly for this guy. So after setting it up today I did Todd Durkin's beginner workout! He was a very good instructor and I look forward to doing this DVD a couple times a week. I tried Rosalie Brown's workout and she moves way too fast for me, for right now.

I also added to this Rael's System 7 Pilates workout. His voice is so soothing and calming. This was among my first pilates workouts long ago and he's very good with instruction about proper breath and alignment. I needed a refresher and it's no wonder why he trains Pilates instructors all over the world.

I'm betting I'll be sore tomorrow! That Total Gym is no joke.

Have a good one!

Current Rotation:
Old 01-19-21, 07:30 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was Dynamic Stretch. I usually get bored with stretch workouts and bail after about 10 minutes, but I actually enjoyed it and made it all the way to the end! Is Jessica's new stretch DVD similar to this workout?

Pam, Is this the Total Gym workout you did? I have a cheap knockoff of a Total Gym and I'm always looking for new workouts to do. https://tv.totalgymdirect.com/progra...ram?cid=129035

Donna, I had my annual review today with my boss. It actually went really well for a change, so that was a nice surprise. Still, I really wish I could retire. I'm so tired of working.

Waves to Sherry and Liz!

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy