Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-21, 05:34 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong 2 Day 3 (Stride and Step!)

Hi Ladies,

I remember this one being a fairly basic step workout. It would have been except I decided to use my Step 360 with it (which is like BOSU with circular step platform!) It made the workout more intense and I was lagging behind a bit because of the step height (and it being wobbly to balance on!) I had some trepidation after reading about the VFer who just broke her arm from a burst stability ball, and I kept thinking this might happen to this device. It's basically two round red rubber tubes that have to be inflated, and when I was done with the workout I noticed the top tube had been losing air. So, not sure if this will be safe to use again. I don't know why I didn't just use my lower firm Fanny Lifter for this, as I would normally do. ;-)

I did Rosalie's triceps rope workout yesterday, and felt sore afterwards but not today. Not sure why I bought the ropes other than to work the muscles a bit differently and maybe this will help with grip strength so I don't have to ask DH to open jar lids for me!

Looks like everyone is doing well with their workouts! I've also been in the mood for more steady state cardio which is why I did the 6 Mile Mix the other day! It felt so good just to get some fast paced walking in! Hoping to get more cardio in this month, as well!

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 12:10 AM  
Leonana

This evening was WS 3 Lower Body. I like that Jessica alternates balance moves with the weight moves. I didn't use the step, mainly because I didn't want to put on my tennis shoes, lol. But I tried to match Jessica as much as possible. I have DOMS in my triceps from the Upper Body workout yesterday.

WS 3 was released November 2017, so a little over three years ago. When I did it the first time, I wasn't as tired doing it as I am this time around. And I was also walking my dogs every day back then too! Well, I'm in my 60's now, but I'm trying to keep up! I do feel better rested today. Taking Tuesday as a rest day helped.

Pam, I'm glad your step 360 didn't burst! It sounds like a tough workout.

wishiwasinhawaii, I feel that I can use heavier weights in the Get Strong dvd. Jessica is certainly the Energizer Bunny! I wonder if Lift & Shift will move slower.

Donna, I sometimes go slower on the WS 3 strength workouts.

Liz, I hope you enjoy your day off. And that you don't get too scared by Metabolic Conditioning, lol.
Old 02-05-21, 12:10 AM  
lizh

Hi everyone,

I did the dreaded Metabolic Conditioning today. It wasn't too bad. There are a few places where I was definitely following Debbie. I don't think I'll ever attempt the push ups with one hand on the step. I also never do tricep dips so I just watched that one. I used 8 pounds for heavy and 3 pounds when she suggested light. The 3 pounds felt very doable and depending on how I am feeling the next time this rolls around, I may attempt to push it to 5 pounds.

I've completed 3 weeks of the rotation. Woo hoo! I added a few extra rest days so it took more like 4 weeks. I am going to start being more diligent about writing down my poundage and notes. I wish I had started the note taking at the beginning but, oh well!

I had a nice vacation day. I stayed up too late last night watching a movie so I let myself sleep in. The day flew by! Back to work tomorrow, though.

Donna, I like steady state cardio as well. I did Jessica's Cardio Party last week and that fit the bill. Like you, my job is super ridiculous busy, but if I don't take the time off, I will lose it. It is my act of "self-love" (sorry to sound corny) but I feel strongly that I already give way too much time and energy to my job, and besides, I'm not that important! But I still feel guilty and I peeked at my email way too much today.

Wishiwasinhawaii, Barefoot Fusion Sculpt is one of my favorites. I always work out barefoot no matter what routine I am doing, but that is a good one.

Pam, what a great idea to use the Step 360. Next time I do that one, I may try using The Firm Zip Trainer as a step. It is nice to have ways to shake it up and change it up a bit. But be careful!! I was horrified to read about the VFer who broke her arm from a burst stability ball! What a nightmare!

OK, enough out of me. Have a good night! Waves to Sherry!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 08:58 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Well, yesterday I decided to finish off the two remaining miles from 5 Boosted Miles, so I did those during my "lunch" hour. And, then in the evening, I did Jessica Valent - Piriformis Syndrome Exercises and Stretches which is on You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9BmYr07nvU

Beware - it contains a paid add in the middle of the video - but it is a good routine and you could just learn the exercises and then do them on your own. I believe she has this in her Unlimited paid site - w/out the ad, too!

I don't think I have piriformis syndrome, but I did enjoy the stretches.

I think what I have honestly, is a arthritis in my lower back and hips and I learned that one of the moves that bothers me the most is tucking the lower back - I was feeling better, so I started doing more cat/cow movements and then something got irritated again - so I need to back off those. When instructors do them I'm going to sub bird dogs or something else form now on. In one of Jessica's videos for SI Joint, she does mention that doing pelvic tucking is not great if you have SI joint issues - I don't think my main problem is SI joint, but I think I can flare it up with certain moves. I do think in general though it is arthritis and a bit of scoliosis.

Anyway -sorry to ramble!

Today was:

1 Mile of Leslie from Leslie's 3 Fast and Fun Miles

I'm following this calendar for my Leslie walks -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9BmYr07nvU

I haven't signed up for this - b/c I own so much Leslie content, but I'm using it for my mileage guide!

I also did

Blessful Body - Core Flow
Jessica Valent Pilates - Pilates for Legs - I have done this one many times but it is a good one!

I may squeeze something in during my breaks today...

I think my February rotation is going to default to Pilates and Walking.....but we shall see, LOL!

Liz - glad you enjoyed your day off and way to go on your rotation progress!

Waves, everyone, glad it is Friday!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 11:18 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong 2 Day 4 (Circuit #1 Upper Focus!)

Hi Ladies,

It was another busy day for us, so got a late workout in this evening. That circuit workout of Jessica's was tough. I started with 8lbs and dropped to 5lbs soon after. The strength workouts using the correct weights are tougher than WS1, as was the compound combination of lunging, reaching for weight on floor, rowing, and then reaching overhead with press. Ugh. There was another one that had me going with lighter weights here, too! I'm guessing it was a shoulder combo of some kind. How quickly I wanted to forget it and just get it done, LOL! I was looking at the countdown timer at ten minutes in, thinking "yikes, twenty minutes left to go!" Spent another 20 minutes on the Total Gym just focusing on Upper Body to finish things out for tonight! Looking forward to the Core workout tomorrow, which I think I've done recently and liked very much!

Night all!

April Focus:
Old 02-05-21, 11:22 PM  
Leonana

This evening was Cardio Step Jam. I was dreading it, but it wasn't too bad. I used the lowest Fanny Lifter step, so that helped. I think my stamina is increasing, I'm not as tired today.

I am taking Tuesday as a rest day, and then Sunday is stretch. It means I will skip a workout, or take longer to complete the rotation. This week I skipped Pilates and Yoga, I didn't like that one very much the first time.

Donna, I'm sorry to hear about the arthritis. My dh has arthritis in his back, from years of moving. He still manages to work in moving though, he is stubborn! I'm not having any problems lately, and I think it was a combination of my piriformis and my SI Joint. I wouldn't notice it during the day, but it would hurt just enough at night to keep me from falling asleep. I adjusted the seat in my car, and my piriformis started feeling better. Then I got new tennis shoes, and low and behold my SI Joint cleared up too. I really think it was old tennis shoes. I have good ones that I wear to work out in, but these were my day to day tennis shoes that I wear out and about.

Liz, congratulations on completing three weeks! I followed Debbie in Met Con too, and I also skipped the one arm on the step pushup, and also the tricep dips. I subbed the over the head tricep move for the dips. I haven't used higher than 8 pounds in the rotation, except for a few leg moves with ten pounds.

Pam, we both did a late evening workout today.

Waves to wishiwasinhawaii.
Old 02-06-21, 12:48 AM  
lizh

Hi Everyone,

Today was a rest day so I did an old Jessica called Dance Walk from her Walk On DVDs. It was low key with a nice view of the water behind Jessica and Debbie. I missed the countdown clock though! I am now addicted to that thing!

I am going to start going through some of my DVDs I never use to see if I can let go of anything. I have many that came from the library book sale (back when we could go to library book sales!) that I purchased and never tried. I basically used to buy anything that said "yoga" or looked decent. I think I've said before I'd like to add in something for flexibility. I'm trying to make it "a decluttering game" so I'll actually do it! Wish me luck.

Donna - I feel like you can never go wrong with walking! It works out everything.
Pam - I'm not a big fan of that Upper Focus from WS2 either. My complaint is that is there is so much time on the floor for an upper body workout!
Sherry - 8 pounds is about it for me at the moment. And that is a stretch for most routines. I am impressed at how much Jessica can lift!

Waves to wishiwasinhawaii!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-21, 08:40 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Jessica Valent Pilates - Pilates for Scoliosis - Full Routine - this is on her paid site and has exercises similar to the shorter programs she has on You Tube but longer and a bit more thorough.

DD and I may walk today - so that is why I went w/ just Pilates this morning. It looks like this may be our last opportunity to walk for awhile - tomorrow snow/rain/ice and then freezing temps for next week.

Sherry - I'm glad the car seat adjustment and the new shoes have helped. Things like that go a long way!

Pam - Yikes! I haven't done the WS 2 strength workouts very often - possibly not since I did the rotation - and I think they were my least favorite of that set. I enjoy the cardio and fusion workouts from this set. That is not surprising though b/c in general, I prefer cardio and fusion to strength.

Liz - Yes, walking is good - and it gives me a mental boost - I was very productive at work the day I did the 5 miler! LOL! I probably need that more with the winter months. Good luck decluttering your DVDs. I have many that I know I will not use again. I hope once the libraries are back to normal here that I can donate some of them.

waves, wishiwasinhawaii!

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-21, 07:14 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong 2 Day 5 (Core Control!)

Hi Ladies,

Hope you all are enjoying the weekend!

I did Jessica's Core Control and no surprises here! It was pretty light, still working core along with having a few balance challenges. Enjoyable and much needed after yesterday's strength workout!

I puttered around with my Total Gym trying to figure out how to attach the leg pulleys thinking I might enjoy a leg or Pilates workout before bed this evening. It would again be something gentle before tomorrow's scheduled Lower Focused Circuit! I have to admit that Walk Strong 2 Strength workouts I'm having some dread about. I'm not sure why, as I normally love Jessica! I can't quite remember how these compare to those in WS 3, but I hope my feelings change as I go through them again when they come up in the rotation. I hate to say it but I might actually enjoy Cathe and Kelly's Strength workouts to Jessica's.

April Focus:
Old 02-06-21, 09:43 PM  
Leonana

Today was WS 3 Barre Sculpt. Wowser, that's a tough one for the legs. I used 3 pounds for this one with no guilt, lol.

I also did some housework and yard work today. After our rain, the weeds are growing in the front yard, so I have to keep up with them. We have a gravel front yard, and if you let the weeds go, it's impossible getting them out of the gravel. The back yard is some grass and dirt, and dh takes care of that thankfully.

Liz, good luck with your decluttering game!

Donna, I need to get outdoors and walk, especially since the weather is nice. I've wasted the whole winter so far, not walking!

Pam, I've never tried Cathe, and only a few of Kelly's. So far, Jessica's Get Strong dvd and the WS1 strength workouts are my favorites.

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy