Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-19, 11:29 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

What new activities have you tried lately?

I used to love to try new activities, especially related to exercise. Nowadays, I am less motivated to try new things. I feel like I want to venture out of my comfort zone and take a live class or tennis lesson, but always find a reason not to!

What new activities have you tried? What motivated you? How did it go?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 11:36 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Well, it's not like a new thing I've never tried before, but after years of never riding a bike I now have a bike that I'm riding. On a gorgeous day being on that bike takes me right back to my childhood. So fun! I am paranoid about riding with cars, so for now I just go up and back a few times on my 1.5 mile road that mostly has no cars. My husband and I plan to take the bikes to bike trails for more riding.

As for motivation..... really it was my husband. He has foot problems so can't be on his feet very long but figured out that it doesn't bother him to ride a bike. Maybe you could find a friend to do a tennis lesson with you?
Old 11-11-19, 01:49 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I am doing a trial of Daily Burn streaming workouts. I discovered via my Weight Watchers online tools that members can get two free months.

I'm doing the 10 Minute Tone program right now. They're very good workouts with motivating instructors and a bright, clean set. Yesterday I tried one of the dance workouts, African dance. It was a lot of fun and very well instructed - but it got too fast for my level.

I don't think I'll continue past the free trial period though I may revisit it in the future.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 01:58 PM  
Demeris

I'm taking down a barbed wire fence. That's a brand new activity for me.

Next on my list after the fence is to replace the water valve to the toilet in the laundry room, then replace the toilet fill valve in the laundry room toilet. Those, too, will be brand new activities for me.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 05:26 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post

Next on my list after the fence is to replace the water valve to the toilet in the laundry room, then replace the toilet fill valve in the laundry room toilet. Those, too, will be brand new activities for me.
Demeris, I admire you! I am so mechanically challenged. I would break anything I attempted to fix!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 06:01 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post

Good luck! My husband does a lot of that kind of stuff because we live pretty remotely -- he's always learning how to fix things he's not had to deal with previously. Youtube is his friend.
Old 11-11-19, 09:11 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I've tried a couple of new activities lately. Last year I took a women's learn-to-play basketball program that I am continuing into this year. Since I was a kid, I have always wanted to be able to play team sports, but never had the confidence to try. This has been a great group to learn with. We are mostly all complete beginners, and probably mid-thirties and up, just based on my guess. The program is a good mix of drills and scrimmages, with the instructor taking time to explain position play and strategies. My dream would be to one day be good enough to play in a recreational league, but I have a ways to go.

The other new activity I started this year was a hip-hop dance class. Again, I have always wished that I could dance, and I thought hip-hop looked fun. I found a nearby beginners class and worked up the nerve to join. None of the participants have much dance experience, but of course some people just naturally have more rhythm than others and have knack for picking up choreography. This would not be me. Sadly, years of following step choreography doesn't really translate all that well into hip-hop. I am enjoying it, though, and everyone is really only there to have fun. I just bought a couple of Madonna Grimes DVDs to see if I can practice those at home to help.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 09:31 PM  
sherry7899

Pau!a, that is great! You may find Jennifer Galardi's dvds easier to follow than Madonna Grmes, or try Shaun T's Hip Hop Abs.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 12:28 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Does "new" pertain to the past 6 months?

If so, over the summer I tried SUP yoga, and in September I tried ropes yoga (avatar; see profile pics for more). I loved both! I was afraid of the SUP yoga mainly b/c I didn't want to fall in, but I didn't. I would love to do it again! The next thing I want to try is acro yoga.

So apparently I am willing to try new yoga-related fitness activities! I am willing to try other new stuff too but haven't had the opportunity of late.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 06:28 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Axe throwing! So much fun and very cathartic!
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new activity, rucking