Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-16, 04:10 PM  
SeekingWorkouts

Do you have a favorite workout speed?

Do you enjoy slow workouts, fast exercise, or something in the middle? Would you rather set your own pace? Or do you prefer a variety of options?

I've found that I'm most comfortable doing things that are neither fast nor slow and activities where I can adjust the speed (like walking and swimming). I think these preferences come from being uncoordinated, not having a lot of endurance, and my struggles with anxiety and perfectionism.

Some of my workout and dance DVDs are a bit too fast for me. With those, I end up counting my own reps and rewinding or modifying the dance moves.

Also, have you learned to appreciate something that you initially found too fast or slow for your liking? I have moments where I consider trying workouts way outside my speed comfort zone, because I think they would benefit me, but I have a hard time believing I'll stick with them long enough to get those positive results...
SeekingWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-16, 04:41 PM  
cherimac

Great question. I love moderate paced workouts too. I like more Pilates and yoga flows, than, say Yin. However, I have come to appreciate slower workouts at times. Fast paced isn't my thing at all.
Old 01-22-16, 06:04 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Moderate pace for me, too. I'm more tortoise than hare these days. An injury pulled me out of my higher intensity workouts for a while and I discovered I enjoyed moderate-intensity workouts more. Not sure I'm going back. I go in spells. I've never liked frantic workouts, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingWorkouts View Post
I have moments where I consider trying workouts way outside my speed comfort zone, because I think they would benefit me, but I have a hard time believing I'll stick with them long enough to get those positive results...
I've wasted a lot of money over the years on high intensity workouts that I did for a while and then never again. I could do them. I just didn't want to do them. As a result, I didn't stick with them for long.

Last edited by Breezy Trousers; 01-22-16 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Quote
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-16, 06:13 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Yup, moderate for me as well. Can no longer abide fast workouts and I *need* to warm up gradually.
An example: I just tried my brand-new copy of KCM's Cardio Pump (disclaimer - I used to adore her 30min workouts way back when) and the warmup pretty much opened with fast squats... Nope, I Joni-O'd it right out of my machine!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-16, 11:58 PM  
SeekingWorkouts

It's nice to know I'm not alone in this!

Whenever I think about attempting something like Zumba, I end up worrying that I'll either injure myself while flailing around or just get so confused that I eventually give up.

Also, I tried (slow) yoga and Tai Chi awhile back, but the resulting boredom and inability to relax only added to my stress levels!

I guess that's why I tend to stick with exercises that are somewhere in between--not so fast that I get overwhelmed, but not so slow that I end up irritated.
Old 01-23-16, 12:08 AM  
Pam

My favorite workouts currently are Dream Bodies, Linda Wooldridge and Qi Gong. Nothing moderate speed for me!

I did Cathe's Lean Legs and Great Glutes this AM. 6 months ago these were favorites and I often did them once a week. This morning they felt painfully slow.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-16, 09:32 AM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
An example: I just tried my brand-new copy of KCM's Cardio Pump (disclaimer - I used to adore her 30min workouts way back when) and the warmup pretty much opened with fast squats... Nope, I Joni-O'd it right out of my machine!
You've mentioned the one thing I *don't* like about Cardio Pump! I like a warmup that begins with marching or side steps--give my legs a little time to wake up before you ask them to squat (or stretch)! So I do a minute or so of that BEFORE she starts her warmup. (And while we're on the subject, the boxing/cardio workout on that DVD is *way* fast for me! The intensity isn't so bad, but I have trouble keeping up with the various moves in the first couple sets.) The weights workout, though, is all set-your-own-pace/weights.

Just to be on the safe side, I think I'm gonna go with "moderate," too. I don't do complex choreography because I like to work out HARD, and if I'm doing something as intense as I want, then I can't be doin' all kinda fancy steps or trying to remember more than ONE MOVE. One way I know if I'm working too hard in a cardio DVD is if I start to have trouble following it. Then I know to tone it down.

One thing that definitely bugs me is workouts that halt my momentum. There's an entire Tae-Bo set I can't do because he gets you nicely warmed up and ready to kickbox--and then puts you on the floor for stretching! WHAT? Sorry, Billy, you just killed it for me. *sigh*
Old 01-23-16, 09:38 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
You've mentioned the one thing I *don't* like about Cardio Pump! I like a warmup that begins with marching or side steps--give my legs a little time to wake up before you ask them to squat (or stretch)! So I do a minute or so of that BEFORE she starts her warmup. (And while we're on the subject, the boxing/cardio workout on that DVD is *way* fast for me! The intensity isn't so bad, but I have trouble keeping up with the various moves in the first couple sets.) The weights workout, though, is all set-your-own-pace/weights.

Just to be on the safe side, I think I'm gonna go with "moderate," too. I don't do complex choreography because I like to work out HARD, and if I'm doing something as intense as I want, then I can't be doin' all kinda fancy steps or trying to remember more than ONE MOVE. One way I know if I'm working too hard in a cardio DVD is if I start to have trouble following it. Then I know to tone it down.

One thing that definitely bugs me is workouts that halt my momentum. There's an entire Tae-Bo set I can't do because he gets you nicely warmed up and ready to kickbox--and then puts you on the floor for stretching! WHAT? Sorry, Billy, you just killed it for me. *sigh*
I would say that I like a moderate speed too. I will probably try this workout today and see how it goes. Thankfully there are many premixes to choose from, but I could be another who only likes this workout for the weight work. We will see!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-16, 11:32 PM  
SeekingWorkouts

Pam, I'm unfamiliar with all of those except Qi Gong (there was a Qi Gong segment at the end of the Tai Chi DVD my aunt loaned me). I've heard that Cathe's workouts in general are intense and quick, though...Thanks for providing a different perspective.

I just realized that I do like some faster workouts and dance styles (kickboxing and Turkish belly dance). I also really want to do aerial yoga, which I assume counts as a slower activity...I might be a moderate at heart, but there's a part of me that wants to branch out and try different things, too.

Oh, and I've got a question for the Kelly fans: Are her kickboxing (or boxing, for that matter) workouts hard for beginners to follow/keep up with?
Old 01-23-16, 11:44 PM  
Pam

Dream Body DVDs are intense, a lot of exercises are packed into an hour. No time to get bored, and you feel like you really have accomplished something when the workout is over. I like the effect its had on my body--stronger and increased cardio fitness. Haven't lost any weight, but only have my D**t to blame there http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Sear...rch=dream+body I only have the last 3 on the list.

Good question for a discussion SeekingWorkouts. I enjoy hearing other comments about DVDs.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote