Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-16, 02:26 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Unhappy Mental, physical and emotional slump!

I've worked out very consistently for over 36 years.

Lately, while I still do *something*, it is harder and harder to get any ambition to work out. I'm sad over the recent deaths of two dear friends. There are also the usual life issues that wear one down. What author Jon Kabat-Zinn refers to as "The Full Catastrophe."

Advice (and hugs) accepted gratefully and gracefully.

Any other slumpers can join in!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 02:32 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Alta - I'm sorry about your slump. It's hard when you're exhausted physically, mentally, and/or emotionally.

I don't have any advice because I'm there, too. The last couple of years have been super tough here with both DH and I going through major surgery, DH going through many health issues (not related to the surgery), job issues, etc. In the spring, it got to where I wasn't exercising finally after the duration and intensity of my workouts going down for quite awhile.

Now, I'm trying to add in functional fitness where I can and doing stuff with DH whenever possible. I just started a new job in downtown DC, so I'm trying to walk to and from the Metro on days I work downtown instead of teleworking. DH and I are trying to go on walks together whenever possible. I got DH a recumbent bike/rower for Christmas and he isn't using it much, but I'm using the bike feature while we watch TV whenever possible.

Is there anything that you could do that is different from your traditional workouts that would be easy for you to do in your routine? Could you just need some time off before starting back? Would a goal, something in honor of your friends, maybe, help?

Whatever you do, be kind to yourself. It sounds like you've been through a tough time.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 02:35 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

With all the recent losses and struggles it might be helpful to seek out a therapist to help you assimilate it all. I know you have a husband and dear friends and yet having a 3rd party to whom you're not beholden to let it all rip can be really helpful and liberating.

And hugs to you for being vulnerable and asking for help! You're a valued member of the VF community and know you have that as a support.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 02:38 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Aww, heck, VV'er, I'm sorry to hear that. Condolences on the passing of your two friends; that is really tough. (((hugs)))

While strenuous exercise can give you a real endorphin buzz, that might not be what you need right now. Maybe your slump is your body's attempt to ask for permission to ramp down your exercise routine for awhile. Maybe do walking and stretching and/or really gentle yoga (Nirvair's Heal Your Back Now, for example--I know you're a fan of his). You will definitely benefit from this type of exercise, gentle though it is. Maybe hard emotional times call for "softer" exercise, at least now, and eventually you will feel up to your more challenging workouts.

I'm really sorry for the loss of your friends. A close friend of mine died two years ago and I miss her on a daily basis.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 02:42 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Yes, Alta...you are a very valued member of this community. I think your posts are hilarious too!

Not much advice to give but be kind to yourself, you have been through a lot lately. We are all here for you...

My condolences on the loss of your two friends, that's really tough. Hang in there.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 02:49 PM  
Sara1000

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. Life is weird.

As Leslie says, the cure for the blues is exercise, but of course when you're blue you don't WANT to exercise!

I have a 15 minute walk to the mailboxes and back which I can do even when I don't want to do ANYthing. Which gets me outside, which is of course uplifting, or can be.

Keep moving, get busy, try not to sit around as depression loves a void.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 02:57 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am so sorry for your losses Alta. Sending you lots of (((hugs))). I find walking outdoors helps me if I'm feeling down. I find it's even better to walk with a good friend who understands & doesn't expect small talk.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 03:39 PM  
Jewels5

Vintage VFer, I am so very sorry for your losses. I can relate to how you are feeling as I have suffered two losses myself very recently and while they are not the same as yours, I feel your pain. I lost my dog (avatar) in March and my brother, whom I've always been close to, in April (both to cancer).

Like you, I'm struggling to find motivation and have also exercised my whole life so this feels weird. My husband keeps teasing me that I keep saying I will do such-and-such "after my workout" but I keep putting it off.

I finally bought some new workouts (Cathe's ICE set) to help me out of my slump. It's helping some but I've only had the set for four days and some days I feel like doing a kickboxing workout while other days I just want to do something lighter such as Pilates or Classical Stretch...but I do feel better after doing something, even if it's just taking a walk.

Have you ever tried journaling? I have found writing my thoughts and memories down to be helpful and somewhat therapeutic, also making time each day for reflecting and praying, and in general letting myself feel the emotions as they come rather than pushing my thoughts back has been helpful.

Please take one day at a time. And feel free to PM me if you need a friend to listen. (((Hugs)))

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 03:54 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Alta (HUGS). As we get older, we are faced with more challenges in life, such as health issues, deaths of family, friends, and others close to us, and other problems that we have no control over. It becomes more of a struggle to find joy and motivation, as we endure life's challenges. It is natural to feel down and be in a slump for a period of time after the death of someone close. It hasn't been very long since you lost your 2 friends. Be kind and forgiving of yourself, and try to take it one day at a time. Try to find something during the day that will uplift you, even if it is just going outside into the sunshine, or watching a movie or TV show that makes you laugh. We can't change our reality, but we can take small steps to change the way we feel. It takes time. If you find that you can't get out of the slump after a few months, then some professional help would be advisable.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 04:10 PM  
Bebop

My dear Alta,

Please do not be hard on yourself and give yourself permission to mourn your friends. Life is full of ups and downs. It normal to feel the way you do.

I just lost my beloved dad 6 months ago. 6 months before that I lost my father in law. Sadness is normal and everyone mourns in their own way. I have those life issues too. Life just happens. Sometimes the crap happens all at once.

When I'm feeling beaten down I try to do something positive. Anything, even just counting my blessings. Exercise is good for us in so many ways. Pull out those vintage workouts that just make you smile. Never mind about results.
It's okay to have do nothing days. Try to get out with friends.

When I'm having a really tough day I turn off the news. I don't need the world's troubles. If you can't work through things on your own, I agree, some times talking to a therapist can help.

(hugs)
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grief, loss, slump