Old 05-27-16, 07:56 AM  
alisoncooks

Recently finished:

Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones
Newt's Emerald - Garth Nix
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 12:20 PM  
BunnyHop

I've been reading some Watergate/Bob Woodward books lately. All the President's Men, The Secret Man, The Last of the President's Men.
Old 05-31-16, 04:00 PM  
isebelleg44

I just finished a Man Called Ove. A great character! The book is funny and touching at the same time.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Called-Ove.../dp/1476738025

I am debating about what to read next. I was going to start Language of Flowers next, but wonder if I should read a thriller instead. I have What She Knew on my Kindle, but don't know if I can handle the subject matter since it involves an eight year old boy.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 04:07 PM  
sherry7899

I am reading:
-Behind Closed Doors by BA Paris
-Here Home Hope by Kaira Rouda
-Saving Abby by Steena Holmes

The first one is a difficult read but I want to know the outcome.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 04:25 PM  
donnamp

Isabelle, I just finished What She Knew and really enjoyed it - difficult subject matter for sure, but a quick - can't -put-down-type read. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 05:51 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Read an advanced copy of Alice Hoffman's November release- Faithful. I actually had to make myself put it down, instead of vice versa. It's the story of a girl who's friend ended up in a coma after an accident when our protagonist was driving. The second half had that melancholy feel - but it was actually more positive. Kind of hard to describe. Anyway, I really liked it, but it's a 4 not a 5 star read. I recommend this coming of age story.

Listened to A Mother's Reckoning by Sue Kleibold. Her son was one of the Columbine shooters. It was a very fascinating read, but she is still in pretty deep denial about her son. She blames the other shooter - it only makes me feel sorrier for her, but.. denial.... I think her denial makes it hard to get her anti-suicide advocate message across. Some of what she says contradicts what i've hear from our resident college therapist. The book claims most suicides are planned by mentally ill people.

I lived a couple miles from Columbine when that shooting happened and she points out some urban legends and some issues that were proven false. My take is that she is no more delusional than the rest of us who believe we would know our children were capable of such behavior.

Also read a quick self help book One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way. If big changes overwhelm you but you want to make some changes, I recommend giving this book a try.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 07:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Lynn, that's very interesting about the Sue Kleibold book. I saw her 20/20 interview and was moved by it. I didn't fully get the sense that she was in denial, but it would be hard to tell in that segment. I am also a college mental health professional (a clinical psychologist working in a college counseling center), and I agree that unfortunately, suicides are NOT just something that happens with mentally ill people--may come from impulsive attempts after a single distressing even. (Anyone who would like to read more on this subject can visit the research-based web site from Harvard, meansmatter.org.)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 07:44 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Lynn - Thanks for your thoughts on Sue Klebold's book. I have it on my kindle but haven't read it yet.

I just finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. I haven't read any of her other books, always had the impression they were very light chic lit. I loved this book, couldn't put it down! Interesting characters, well written, I highly recommend it!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 08:22 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
I just finished a Man Called Ove. A great character! The book is funny and touching at the same time.

I am debating about what to read next. I was going to start Language of Flowers next, but wonder if I should read a thriller instead. I have What She Knew on my Kindle, but don't know if I can handle the subject matter since it involves an eight year old boy.
I loved that book and the characters and I've since read the other two books by that author: My Grandmother Asked Me.... and Britt-Marie Was Here (she is a character in the My Grandmother book -- I keep hoping a new book will come out with some of the characters from Ove). Anyway, since you enjoyed Ove so much, you should at least browse and see if you think you might like the other two. I definitely enjoyed them.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 08:22 PM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post

I just started this one during my morning commute.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading