Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-16, 08:09 PM  
firmaniac

VVF'er / Alta - just wanted to send best wishes and hugs for endurance & coping.

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 08:27 PM  
Breezy Trousers

My condolences on all these losses. It's one reason why aging isn't for sissies. There's so much more of it as we mature.

Alta, a long rehab from an injury caused me to fall into slump this past year. As with grief, there's not much one can do with an injury besides meet it with awareness & non-resistance.... Grief is more insidious because it permeates everything yet is invisible. There's no cast to point to.

With this recent slump, I continued exercising thanks only to a daily check-in with two (forgiving) fitness friends. The frequency and intensity of my workouts tanked, as did my interest. Giving myself permission to skip days and do easy, shorter workouts helped me hang in there with the check-in.

Slumps open up new possibilities. Once I pulled out of a years-long slump with some tentative running. I ended up running miles each week for years after that. Running injuries eventually caused another slump. I pulled out of that slump by exploring no-impact kettlebell training. After four years of RKC training, I hit the wall and moved on to circuit and weight training workout DVD's. Last fall, I was told I might never be able to use my kettlebells or do weight-bearing exercises again. Now that I see I can use them -- and that they are helping rather than hurting me -- kettlebell training is a new passion again.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 10:25 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I often advocate meditation to others and it has helped me before, but I need to do it instead of talking about it!
Alta, I hope this isn't in reference to what I said - I didn't mean to be judgey or anything. The thing is it doesn't help to beat yourself up for not meeting your meditation quota or something. What about just trying to be mindful in a general sense. Or when you realize you are ruminating on negative thoughts, try to bring yourself to the present moment and if they persist, then exploring it.

In The Wisdom of No Escape, Pema Chodron says something along the lines that when we feel pain or some negative emotion, our natural response is to try to run away from it. What about turning into it, and accepting that part of you instead of "throwing yourself away" for the pain. (She says it way better though. )

Certainly do a Nirvair dvd or a hike or a bath or anything if you want. But most of all, be there for yourself. And we are here for you too.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 04:42 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
I've worked out very consistently for over 36 years.

Lately, while I still do *something*, it is harder and harder to get any ambition to work out. I'm sad over the recent deaths of two dear friends. There are also the usual life issues that wear one down. What author Jon Kabat-Zinn refers to as "The Full Catastrophe."

Advice (and hugs) accepted gratefully and gracefully.

Any other slumpers can join in!
I just want to say that I'm sorry for your slump. I've also lost a lot of friends and family over the past two years, one just recently. My adult son is also dealing with serious mental health issues. It's sobering, saddening and it's definitely changed the way I want to live my life. And I think that for me the life issues I used to deal with easily now tend to wear me down.

I don't have any answers. We're just trying to enjoy what is joyful and let things that aren't fall to the wayside. Little by little the fabric of our lives is becoming simpler but more meaningful and that seems to help a bit.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 10:03 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Alta, I hope this isn't in reference to what I said - I didn't mean to be judgey or anything....
No worries, beyond.omega! I was talking to myself (as I often do.) I like Pema Chodron. I have some of her audio. I found some streaming grief meditations by Heather Strang here:

http://mindfulnessandgrief.com/

Thanks again everyone for the kind thoughts and healing vibes!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 10:39 AM  
StephE

So sorry for all that you're going through. You've really been through a lot. Sometimes we just need to be extra gentle with ourselves and allow time for rest. And when you're feeling up to it, do something that is gentle on your body and helps you feel good and relaxed. Hoping you're feeling better soon!

Exercise is THERAPY for all the challenges and trials life throws my way!!
StephE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 10:56 AM  
ellaenchanted

I am so sorry for your losses, Alta. (((hugs)))
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 06:59 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

I'm sorry too Alta! I'm sure you'll get your groove back, but until then maybe find a new one? Any kind of movement is good. I've been dealing with a weird medical issue since October and for about 2 months after it started I was both physically and mentally debilitated. I did a lot of walking vids. Sometimes only 10 minutes but it helped. I even just strolled around my backyard a few times just to get out of the house and move (it's not a big yard!).

Hugs!!
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 07:59 PM  
eulila

Big giant (((HUG)))!
eulila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 09:49 AM  
AnMrsDe

Wow, I am so sorry and felt so sad for so many of our VF'ers who have been through so much. Sending many (((hugs))) to you all.

But this post totally had me LOL'ing and as Helen said, this is why we love you around here, Alta, to read lines like this one to brighten our day:

Quote:

Have you tried pulling your shirt up over your head when asking the DH for a favor? It sweetens the "honey do" and often brightens everyone's day.

Prayers and thinking of you.
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grief, loss, slump