Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-16, 10:47 AM  
kalliope999

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Anyone have recommendations for sunscreen for oily acne prone skin? DD is going to work at a nature camp all summer so she is going to need it. I thought something without zinc or Titanium dioxide because they can clog pores. But I heard that the chemical sunscreens can be irritating.
It's hard to know what will work for a particular skin. Everyone recommends those ultra-lightweight chemical sunscreens for oily & acne-prone skin, but the chemical sunscreens eventually give me rashes, redness, and irritation acne. I'm acne-prone, and I tolerate most physical blockers (zinc & titanium dioxide) just fine, on the other hand. She may just need to try some out.

I know I've recommended the EltaMD UV Physical SPF 41 before, but I'll go ahead and repeat myself since it's one of the only sunscreens my face tolerates. I take this one on vacations. (It does have a tint, just FYI.)

Also, Elta makes a physical/chemical combo that is specifically meant for sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin: EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46.

Tiny & Demeris, I have a similarly hard time with powdered mineral foundations. The bismuth ones irritate my skin right away, and even those without it can make my face sting from too much mica (I think).
Old 05-30-16, 12:55 PM  
donnamp

Leslie - I have used and have given my DD to use the Cetaphil DermaControl for oily skin. It gets a decent rating from Paula (I think b/c there aren't any anti-aging ingredients in it) and is fragrance free.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 07:44 PM  
MARIKA

Hi friends! I used to be a HUGE Deep Conditioning, Hair Mask, Those magic vials of whatever from Sallys kind of girl. As of late the only thing I do is Miracle 10 leave in. Whats are your fave Deep Conditioning, revitalizing treatments?
Old 05-31-16, 08:07 PM  
Carol K

I use Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner every day and that's all I need. I blow-dry my hair every day and get it colored every four weeks.
Old 05-31-16, 10:15 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I oil my hair the night before, then wash with a soapnut shampoo bar the next day, finishing with my usual conditioner. I'd like to do this every two weeks but in practice I do it about once a month.

For hair oil, I change it up. Currently I am using a blend of Camellia Seed Oil and Argan Oil. In the past I have used coconut oil and also olive oil.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 08:38 PM  
MARIKA

Thanks guys!

beyond omega, I may have told you before but I lived in Portland for a few years. It's my fave place of all the places we lived. I miss it there and my friends
Old 06-02-16, 10:47 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks for the sunscreen recommendations everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPLYN61 View Post
How old is DD? I used to have the issue with all sunscreens making me break out. I found for my face, I was able to use Bare Minerals foundation and that was a good block . In the areas near my hairline that I missed, you could see where I got burnt. But my face was untouched.
She is 16 and doesn't wear makeup. I wear foundation with sunscreen but I really don't think it is enough if you were outside a lot. But thanks for mentioning it-at some point she might be interested in makeup and we can consider Bare Minerals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Ireidgreen-I used to use PC's Skin Balancing sunscreen and thought the stinging was normal. I then tried PC's Hydrolight Mineral sunscreen and it feels so much better on my skin. I have very oily skin but not acne prone. The only problem with PC's sunscreen is when I start to really sweat I sweat it right off, my sweat was actually white. I wonder if you can find a Sport Mineral sunscreen for your DD?
I actually recently purchased the Hydralight sunscreen for the first time. I think it is being discontinued (don't quote me on that though) I don't have oily skin but I got it when PC had a sunscreen sale. I used it the other day and liked it. I think it will be OK for me in the summer and I will have DD try it. I will need to get her a sport sunscreen that won't cause breakouts. Either that or she will have to reapply often. I use the Blue Lizard Sport Sunscreen when I am exercising outdoors and like it but I think it will be too heavy for her. We also have the PC sunscreen in the orange bottle that someone else mentioned here. It is listed as Very Water Resistant but it has the chemical sunscreens. DD used it a few weeks ago but I don't think she put it on her face.

Nicole thanks for the Elta MD recommendations. I had used the tinted one ages ago but didn't know about the other one you mentioned. Definitely one to consider.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 11:04 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
Thanks guys!

beyond omega, I may have told you before but I lived in Portland for a few years. It's my fave place of all the places we lived. I miss it there and my friends
yeah, well its going to be reallly hot this weekend, so you should be glad you will miss out on that! If you ever find yourself in these parts again, would love to take you to my favorite places.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 05:43 AM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I actually recently purchased the Hydralight sunscreen for the first time. I think it is being discontinued (don't quote me on that though) I don't have oily skin but I got it when PC had a sunscreen sale.
The Hydralight line is being discontinued, but is being replaced with the Calm line for Normal to Oily skin and the sunscreen in this line is identical to the Hydralight sunscreen.
Old 06-03-16, 08:14 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
The Hydralight line is being discontinued, but is being replaced with the Calm line for Normal to Oily skin and the sunscreen in this line is identical to the Hydralight sunscreen.
Yes now I remember. The same stuff in new packaging for more money. Not happy about that.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty thread, paulas choice