Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 11-26-05, 05:48 PM  
Libby

Looking for new aerobic shoes

I would like to buy a pair of good aerobic/cross-training shoes but don't know what brand or style to buy. We don't have any good stores around here that I know of that sell good aerobic shoes. I did go to a running store and they recommended Brooks Trance for my foot type for running but they didn't sell aerobic shoes. Any suggestions of what type of aerobic shoe I might try? I know that the guy at the running store said to always buy running shoes that are colored gray on the inside (not inside the shoe) part of the shoe. Don't know what that's called. I think I overpronate slightly and have a medium arch. If I call RoadRunner Sports will they know?

Thanks!
Libby
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 08:37 PM  
ltlangeli

Road Runner Sports has a "Shoe Dog" which tells you what shoe is best for your feet. It is based on running though. I use a running shoe for all my aerobic activites to prevent injury - but that is just me.

Here is the link:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-.../rrShoeDog.jsp
Old 11-26-05, 11:07 PM  
Libby

For Shelley

Shelley, I thought I needed a different shoe for cardio/aerobics. Won't it hurt my feet to use a running shoe for aerobics? Just wondering. Thanks! Libby
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-05, 04:15 PM  
ltlangeli

Hi Libby – (My sister's name is the same as yours)

Again - this seems to work for me - everyone is different. I have the flattest feet in town - used to wear orthopedic shoes when I was a kid - the other kids tortured me over it - but that's another story.

I also overpronate - and I mean way overpronate. So I find that running shoes specifically New Balance, keeps me from doing stupid things when I do aerobics - like trip over myself because my feet caved in.

I use cushioned insoles as well to help with the comfort level.

Again, others will probably have a different story for you - and it is true that running shoes usually cost more that aerobic shoes.

I think you just need to try some different shoes with your activities and see what works for you. I know it was trial and error for me to find the correct shoes. I do have 3 different pairs of running shoes so I can alternate.

Here is a good thread on the subject though:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=14034
Old 11-28-05, 03:30 PM  
germaine

Alta gives good advice in that thread...

...provided by Shelly. You shouldn't use running shoes for aerbocis or vice versa. You need to find something that fits you also, so often what works for some, won't work for others. Some of the fitness companys that are good choices are: Reebok, Nike, Avia, Adidas, Ryka and Saucony.
germaine is offline   Reply With Quote