Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-05, 08:12 AM  
SuzanneM
VF Supporter

Spinerval Filming in Minneapolis...finally a report!

It's taken me a week to finally post about this filming...better late than never.

This was not your typical Spinerval filming - there were 200 athletes from the Minneapolis area in this workout! I wasn't sure how Troy and his crew could pull this off, but it was an awesome effort and I think the final product is going to be great. As I was driving down the freeway, I saw so many cars with bikes on them, and knew where they were headed...it was enough to give me butterflies. To see everyone arriving, all excited....it was quite the feeling.

For Troy's recap of the event, click on this link:

http://www.coachtroy.com/notebook.ph...5649b7334d4f7d

I was there as a member of the Minnesota Triathlon Club. I believe there were 18 people from our club at the filming, and many of them I met for the first time. (Side note; I am not a triathlete....will not swim, will not swim, will not swim. But I have signed up for 3 duathlons...so far.)

The highlight of the filming was meeting Greg LeMond!!! I had a few pictures taken with him and talked to him for about 15 minutes (all the time praying I wouldn't say anything stupid). He is a super nice guy, still in great shape, and said they are coming out with a new/better Revmaster sometime next year.

Oh yeah...the workout. In typical Troy fashion, there were no breaks during the filming and, well, no mercy. It's a 90 minute workout, divided into three 30 minute workouts. The first 30 minutes is a recovery/technique type workout: one legged drills and some fast spinning, etc. I got through this pretty easily and thought to myself, "Okay maybe this won't be so bad."

Um, wrong.

The second workout was killer stuff....super intense with lots of red zone, aka, I Want To Pass Out stuff. We did seven sets (or was it ten?) of 90 seconds ALL OUT EFFORT and 90 seconds rest. I would like to point out that 90 seconds is a veeeeeerrry long time to go at an all out max effort. By the 5th set, I was seeing stars. Then we did some sets of THREE MINUTES all out effort. You could see the agony on the faces of the other athletes, so I wasn't alone! The last workout was also incredibly tough. Sprints. Lots of them. I didn't think they'd ever end. The camera man was in our face a lot during this workout - not sure I'm happy with that, ha.

The filming ended around 10:15 and then our group went out to eat, drink, and recover. I got home at 1:15 a.m. - whoa, a long day!!!

It was a great experience. I loved talking with the filming crew (who remembered me from last year), Torrence (he was in Lean & Mean), Todd (also in Lean & Mean), the great guys from Gear West Bike Shop, and, of course, TROY!

I think it's time to hang up my Spinerval filming hat.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 08:39 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneM
The highlight of the filming was meeting Greg LeMond!!!
OMG, AWESOME! I still get an adrenaline rush thinking about Paris '89. So what did he say?????

Quote:
I would like to point out that 90 seconds is a veeeeeerrry long time to go at an all out max effort.
I'd like to say that 90 seconds is an extremely short time to recover from such a long max effort!

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 09:33 AM  
Daphne M

Too cool

I know I'm weird, but my favorite part of this whole story is seeing all the cars with bikes on the freeway. There's something about that Bike Nation feeling that gives me chills.

Suzanne, I can't wait to see you in these workouts. I love the idea of three shorter Spinervals, especially a recovery and technique one. (The original Recovery and Technique is WAY too hard! Plenty of technique, but where the heck is the recovery????) These will be great for a time-challenged day, or to add on to another workout or to put together a circuit-style workout. (Bike 30 minutes, off-bike for weights or run, back on bike, etc.)

Congratulations to our Spinerval star!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 11:54 AM  
Kimberly33

Suzanne, that sounds great! I'm with Daphne--I love going to an event and seeing all of the cars with bikes!

I hate going all out. There, I said it. I HATE IT. I suppose that means it's something that's good for me, huh. Red Zone was bad enough--I'm so glad I wasn't there for that taping.

Thanks for the great report.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 11:55 AM  
Deb_B
VF Supporter

Suzanne:
GREAT! I love the concept for this Spinerval -- I can't wait to get it!
Note: in Troy's write up, he talks about filming another one, using POWERTAPs.

Deb
Deb_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 02:24 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_B
Suzanne:
GREAT! I love the concept for this Spinerval -- I can't wait to get it!
Note: in Troy's write up, he talks about filming another one, using POWERTAPs.

Deb
Doomed, doomed, my Visa is doomed.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 02:33 PM  
Aline

Wow! The group energy generated by that many people Spinerval-ing together must have been amazing. I can tell just from looking at the picture of the room full of empty trainers.

I have got to get that one. Thanks for the report, Suzanne.
Aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 02:42 PM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

Great report, Suzanne . Wow, this sounded like a very TOUGH filming experience.

I enjoyed reading Troy's report too. It sounds like it was quite an undertaking to get everything organized.
Old 04-08-05, 02:46 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Wow! I'll definitely buy this one.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 03:19 PM  
CarolineBP
VF Supporter

Thanks for the report Suzanne! I'm sure it was another great Spinerval experience. The format sounds awesome. It will be great to "workout" with you on another video.

Last is just the slowest WINNER~Hunter Boyd

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

Real inspiration comes not from outdoing others, but from outdoing ourselves.

The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running.

I think that anyone who has ever attempted an endurance event understands that some of your slowest times represent the efforts of which you should be most proud.~Daphne Magnuson
CarolineBP is offline   Reply With Quote