Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-05, 04:54 PM  
suzannaerin

Spinervals/ABB4 Mini Review

I received ABB4 yesterday and gave it a test run today. The workout consists of a warm up, an hour long set (NO rests/breaks) and a cool down. Total time was about 75 minutes. This is the workout that has 100 cyclists (I think) in it---they are all arranged around what turned out to be a big church or church hall, although you can't tell it's a church (location is listed in the credits.) At first, I thought it was going to be sensory overload w/all those riders, but it ended up being fine. The workout itself is a keeper--mostly you're in BG15 and SG15, but Coach Troy has you go to other gears, too. Including BG12 and the easiest gear on your small ring. There are standing segments, but they are short and intended to loosen up the legs/relieve the bum. The music is typical Spinerval music, but is the same "funkier" stuff on more recent Spinervals. I have to admit that because there weren't any breaks, I found myself having to really concentrate to keep in the blue zone because it was tempting to let my mind wander! I was hoping he'd include the last song from ABBIII, which is my all-time favorite spinerval song (the "techno" song w/the vocals)---maybe he'll include it in the ones he's taping this spring/summer!!! Anyway, ABB4 is a good addition to the ABB series.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 04:56 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

These are coming out too quickly for me to keep up!!!
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 05:43 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Thanks for the review Suzanne. I'm actually looking forward to an hour long set since I've been using ABBs on the treadmill.

And it does seem like there are more Spinervals coming out this year.

Helen
Old 03-02-05, 07:57 PM  
CarolineBP
VF Supporter

Thanks for the review!

I'm hoping my ABB IV arrives tomorrow.

Last is just the slowest WINNER~Hunter Boyd

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

Real inspiration comes not from outdoing others, but from outdoing ourselves.

The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running.

I think that anyone who has ever attempted an endurance event understands that some of your slowest times represent the efforts of which you should be most proud.~Daphne Magnuson
CarolineBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 09:04 AM  
SuzanneM
VF Supporter

What have I been waiting for? I have GOT to order this one (and a few others). Thanks for the review Suzanne.

I got my NEW BIKE yesterday and was talking to the bike owner about the new Spinerval being filmed in Minneapolis. It sounds like this workout, with 200 (!) cyclists, is going to be a winner. Tough, very very tough.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 10:50 AM  
Daphne M

I'm waiting for mine too

I put my order in yesterday and it should be coming with the other new release, "The Sprinting Machine" any day now.

I am happy to be getting ABB IV and the Sprinting Machine at the same time -- anything to postpone doing the sprinting thing (rated 9.9 difficulty, yikes) a little bit longer. But ABB IV's one hour set doesn't sound too easy either.

I pulled out an old favorite, Spinervals Mental Toughness, this morning. There is something about the pace of this workout that brings out the best in me. Do you ever have workouts like that? With MT, I feel as if I'm pedaling at the right speed, in the right gear and I'm at the same effort level as most of the cyclists. It's a confidence builder, especially after doing Ride & Stride a couple of days ago. That one beats the confidence right out of me. It brings out the worst in me.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 12:40 PM  
cid

Thanks for the review. One hour straight sounds like a bit of mental toughness to me!

Looking forward to the reviews of the Sprinting Machine!!

CinDee
cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 02:28 PM  
CarolineBP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M
I pulled out an old favorite, Spinervals Mental Toughness, this morning. There is something about the pace of this workout that brings out the best in me. Do you ever have workouts like that? With MT, I feel as if I'm pedaling at the right speed, in the right gear and I'm at the same effort level as most of the cyclists. It's a confidence builder, especially after doing Ride & Stride a couple of days ago. That one beats the confidence right out of me. It brings out the worst in me.
I totally agree, Daphne. Mental Toughness is my favorite Spinerval, not including Enter The Red Zone, LOL. Every time I pull out MT it's like riding with an old friend. BTW, I did The Sprinting Machine a week ago last Tuesday. I followed it up by doing ETRZ. It was the hardest Spinerval combo I've ever done!

Last is just the slowest WINNER~Hunter Boyd

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

Real inspiration comes not from outdoing others, but from outdoing ourselves.

The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running.

I think that anyone who has ever attempted an endurance event understands that some of your slowest times represent the efforts of which you should be most proud.~Daphne Magnuson
CarolineBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 03:07 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineBP
I did The Sprinting Machine a week ago last Tuesday. I followed it up by doing ETRZ. It was the hardest Spinerval combo I've ever done!
You did them both! I can't even imagine. I doubt I could get through that. I hope some day you'll sign up for a bike event or a duathlon or something, Caroline, because you really have an amazing capacity to work hard. I bet you would do great.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 03:43 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M
You did them both! I can't even imagine. I doubt I could get through that. I hope some day you'll sign up for a bike event or a duathlon or something, Caroline, because you really have an amazing capacity to work hard. I bet you would do great.
Caroline,

I agree with Daphne. I don't have the Sprinting Machine but I've seen a couple of your check-ins. I was in awe with some of your combinations (like I think you would combine some of Cathe's hardest step segments, etc.). I think you would do really well in an event.

Daphne,

I like MT too. Well, after I got used to iso squats. The first time I did MT, I wanted to cry during the iso squat segments. 90 seconds doesn't seem like a long time but it is when you're doing an iso squat. MT and the ABBs are so nice on both the treadmill and using a trainer. I also agree with R & S. That one is a puke fest.

Helen