Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-05, 09:57 PM  
giacchina
VF Supporter

Spinervals Sprinting Machine - first impressions

I did this for the first time today. It's been taunting me from my shelf ever since it arrived, but allergies and TTOM got in the way. Today, I slayed this dragon of a workout. Let me just say that after 3 months of ABBs, it felt good to be going 110 percent.

The workout is a measly 52 minutes, but CT manages to make every second count. It's filmed in the same location as ABB IV in Fort Wayne, IN with 25 cyclists. CT starts with his standard warmup, then goes into sprinting sets with a 1:5 work/rest ratio. The actual workout sets are a blur because sweat was pouring into my eyes the entire time. I acheived a new personal best cadence in BR 12 during one of the acceleration sets (3 minutes of 10 seconds on 10 seconds off at BR12 - that one nearly killed me). He also has a couple of "build" sets where you go 85% for 5 seconds at BR13 and then go 100% at BR12 for 10 seconds. All of the sprinting is done in BR 15, 13, and 12. CT does a lot of shouting in this one - he is almost hoarse by the end of the workout. There are also 3 sets of 30 second plyo jump sets with 2 minutes easy pedaling in between. Thus, CT accomplishes what even Cathe has not done: turned spinning into a high impact activity.

I used the music-off option and happened to select a recording that had Yes' Owner of a Lonely Heart - I could swear the song lyrics were saying "Push yourself" as CT was also exhorting "Push yourself" - it was that rare nexus of music and exercise.

I think this is as close to nirvana as I'll ever get, especially considering how little yoga I do.

Jackie
giacchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 05:10 AM  
Mellyf
VF Supporter

Wow!

It sounds awesome, Jackie....thanks for the review! I will definitely be getting this one!
Old 03-22-05, 09:04 AM  
SuzanneM
VF Supporter

Ka-Ching

Thanks for the review......my VISA is headed over to Troy's site now.

And what is with Coach Troy and his love of big ring 12? hehe

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 12:52 PM  
Andrea
VF Supporter

And to think I didn't want this one! Very enabling review!

Andrea
Old 03-22-05, 07:29 PM  
germaine

Have it, but didn't do it yet

I got this at the same time as ABBIV from CycleFixx; free shipping and 15% off

Jackie, I'm still waiting for the okie dokie from the coach to do anaerobic workouts I think I'll have to watch it during one of my recovery workouts :rolleyes:
germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 07:48 PM  
Andrea
VF Supporter

Germ

You have a coach? Would you tell us more?

Andrea
Old 03-22-05, 08:42 PM  
Daphne M

Great review, Jackie!

I've had this one for a couple of weeks, but haven't been able to do it yet. I got brave and put it by the TV last night as my chosen workout for this morning.

Instead I slept late and chickened out on Coach Troy, so it didn't happen. Now you've got me psyched to do it again. Coach Al made us do a few minutes of those 10 secs on/10 secs off sprints in the big gears at the tri clinic I attended this weekend. I really did think I might throw up. Tough stuff.

And Germ, I want to hear about your coaching too. After going to Al's workshop, I got interested in it for myself, but the local coach I like is still kind of pricey for my budget. ($200 start-up fee and then $160/month, includes some spinerval classes and masters swim.) It's not unreasonable at all, especially in this area, but my checkbook doesn't care.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-05, 07:15 PM  
germaine

Yes, Joe Friel and Chris Carmichael

...I'm just trying to follow Chris Carmichael's and Joe Friel's periodization training. Anaerobic workouts are in the last part of training before peaking for your event. I'm still in the foundation period :rolleyes:
Old 03-23-05, 07:36 PM  
giacchina
VF Supporter

Germ - Are you doing the CTS workouts?

I've tried several of the Carmicheal Training System (CTS) DVDs - are you using these? I've liked some more than others (loved Criterium, hated Climb Right and Mountain Biking), and haven't been able to put my finger on why.

Jackie
giacchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 07:50 PM  
germaine

Jackie

I have the climbing and time trial workouts, but I don't use those so much(don't like the music). I mostly use the Cycling Fitness Results(Love the music and the intro's are done by Joe Friel) and the Spinervals(ABBs, Mental Toughness and T3(but keeping the HR in the blue zone).