Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-05, 10:38 AM  
nymets2144

Spinervals distance

Hey guys, I've been doing spinervals for around 3 years now and I decided to buy a cateye cadence meter to make the workouts tougher. I was wondering for those of you who have a pedometer on your bike how many miles did you "travel" after doing Have Mercy and Tough Love? Thanks for the help and for all the great threads at video fitness!
Old 03-06-05, 12:45 PM  
Mellyf
VF Supporter

Hi Danielle...I just did HM2 yesterday, and my computer says 25 miles. TL is usually just under 40 miles. I try to match my cadence to what Troy wants, rather than my gearing (those usually do NOT coincide ), so I'm usually in an easier gear. I'm sure my mileage would be higher if I was in the gears that he specified more often.
Old 03-06-05, 02:24 PM  
germaine

Melly, you've got to remember...

...that everyone's trainer tension is different and therefore, you will have to use different gears than he specifies. Also, there are differences between double chain ring and triple chain ring ratios, and also read cassettes are not always the same either. Too many variables to be met. Seldom am I able to do the cadence that Troy wants in the gear he specifies.

Ok, I notice on TL, I'm about the same as Melly, between 38-39 miles. I haven't done HM for eons, so I don't have that data.
germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 05:40 PM  
Kimberly33

When I did Tough Love last fall, I did between 42 and 45 miles (according to my meter, anyway!). I've never done Have Mercy.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 08:48 PM  
wendy b

Not to hijack or change this thread, but where do you get a cadence meter and would i be able to get one for my johnny spin pro??

I've wondered that myself for some time. I think in TTT he says its a 25 k but i'm not sure. I only did that once, and will most likely never do it in its entirety again. Like to spin in 60 minutes or less.
wendy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 04:45 AM  
CarolineBP
VF Supporter

Those sound like pretty accurate distances!

Last is just the slowest WINNER~Hunter Boyd

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

Real inspiration comes not from outdoing others, but from outdoing ourselves.

The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running.

I think that anyone who has ever attempted an endurance event understands that some of your slowest times represent the efforts of which you should be most proud.~Daphne Magnuson
CarolineBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 08:54 AM  
Kimberly33

You can buy a cadence meter from a bike shop or online from www.nashbar.com or www.performancebike.com (use the Support VF link on the menu!). They're listed as computers, then find one with cadence. I'm not sure which ones would work for your spin bike--they have a magnet that attaches to the the crankarm and a sensor that attaches to the frame, and they usually need to pass each other at about 1/4-1/2" (I think). You might need to rig something to use it on your bike.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 09:49 AM  
nymets2144

Hey Wendy, I bought my cadence meter from amazon.com, here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...goods&n=507846

but you can probably just directly buy it from Nashbar. I bought the "Cateye Astrale 8 Computer" for my bike (I use a trainer). I'm not sure if it will work with Johnny G spinning pro or a rev master.

I was also wondering about Totally Time Trial. Troy says he wants you at a 40k pace for each 15 minute set. If you did that for all four sets you would have gone 24 miles in an hour. I was wondering if anyone was actually able to keep such a fast pace for an hour. For those of you with an odometer on your bike how many miles did you "travel" after doing TTT? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-07-05, 10:03 AM  
Andrea
VF Supporter

My gears must be quite a bit different. I stayed in the gear Troy wanted during TL and just did my best with cadence. But, my computer measured around 53 miles. I don't remember what it was for T3.

You also have to remember that the measurement is not the same as being on the road. Same with a speed measurement. You have no wind resistance on the trainer so you'll be able to go faster. As least that was my understanding. I've also found it to be true for me though.

Andrea
Old 03-07-05, 10:11 AM  
Mellyf
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea

You also have to remember that the measurement is not the same as being on the road. Same with a speed measurement. You have no wind resistance on the trainer so you'll be able to go faster. As least that was my understanding. I've also found it to be true for me though.

Andrea
Being on a trainer is definitely different than being on the road. I've found for me, that it's the opposite of Andrea's experience...I'm faster on the road. But on the road, if I'm on a flat road, I can easily be in big gear and be comfortable aerobically. That's not the case on the trainer. And I don't think I have my trainer tension too high...in fact, the opposite could very well be true.

I do have to say that when I got my VO2 max tested at Troy's awhile ago, we used a computrainer, and I could not believe how easy that was compared to my Kurt Kinetic trainer. Big gear felt MUCH easier than it does on my trainer. Too bad I can't afford the $1500 that I computrainer costs.