Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-19, 10:31 AM  
kat999

Considering a rotation of all Tony Horton's "90" sets

I have long wanted to do P90X, but I sort of dread the idea of doing only one system or set for a whole 90 days. I'm considering, instead, trying each of Tony Horton's "90" sets, going back as far as the original Power 90, then moving on to P90, P90X, Plus, 2, and 3. But I feel like I would also integrate some outdoor walking and jogging days in there, too, to cross-train. I realize this isn't the way these systems are technically designed, but I'm so used to creating my own rotations that doing them as prescribed might feel really dull. I've pursuing a very specific set of fitness goals for about 14 months now and have almost hit my target. As I enter a phase of maintaining that fitness, I realize my next goal is to build muscle and strength. However, my body type and finances mean I still need to do that at home rather than a gym with a lot of weight machines. Does this seem like a bad idea, based on how these systems are configured? Or is this something everyone in a kind of "maintenance mode" ends up doing with them anyway, just integrating them into a regular fitness practice?

ETA: to clarify, I would just move through the sets in order and move on to the next set in the series when I've done each workout at least once or twice.

Last edited by kat999; 07-14-19 at 10:32 AM. Reason: clarity
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 10:56 AM  
Sharaz

I read your previous post about your strength level. Your weights max are 10s.I think for long term strength and muscle gains you should follow each program as it is in an order based on difficulty. There is a positive about repeating same workouts for about 3-4 weeks. This helps to achieve progressive overload and increase strength by evaluating performance each week. Many people just do a workout once then repeat a year later using the same weights. That’s fine for overall fitness maintenance but is not good if you have a goal.

I think you and anybody can increase strength at home. I would expect a year commitment to see significant results. You can substitute any cardio DVD workout for your walking. Cardio is cardio. What’s important is the weight training workouts. Taking recovery weeks is good; reset, recharge and jump into the program again fresh
Old 07-14-19, 11:04 AM  
kat999

Good points, Sharaz. Thanks! Maybe I'll try one rotation as prescribed and see how I feel.
Old 07-14-19, 11:19 AM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Good points, Sharaz. Thanks! Maybe I'll try one rotation as prescribed and see how I feel.
Good! Increasing weights comes from our own will. The instructor is not going to tell you increase weight for the most part. For me is like ok last time I did 5s today let me try 8s for the last set. Then the following I start with 8s. Sometimes you would not be able to finish all the reps after increasing. But next time or at some point you would be able to finish. Weight lifting the right way takes a lot of focust
Old 07-14-19, 03:26 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I would tell myself it's ok to finish early bc I reached failure early with heavier weight. Use the extra time to recover. If the instructor is doing both arms, sometimes I'd switch to alternating arms to keep the muscle under tension.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 04:36 PM  
Sharaz

Kat999 - This guy made an excellent video about push progression. When I come back from a hiatus I start very conservative with wall push ups. This way I avoid injuries and prep my body slowly to more advance movements. You would be able to increase UB strength taking this approach. The 2nd progression can be done using a sofa and the 3er progression using a step.

BTW I haven the Power Press push up system which I love! It allows to position my hands to focus on Chest, Back, Shoulders or Triceps. I’m using this right now with all my Bootcamp workouts for push ups, planks and horizontal cardio alternating focus each day.

https://youtu.be/-MgLuKhecF4
Old 07-15-19, 08:59 AM  
kat999

hdw, great points. I will sometimes pause the DVD if I'm feeling failure to give me a chance to pick up lighter weights or just get some fluids. Then I try to keep going.

Sharaz, thanks for that video! That might really help me.

Tags
p90, p90x, strenght training, strength training, tony horton